• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc retriever with the suction-cup ball at the end...

BillyBoy

I recently bought one of the disc retrievers with the suction-cup ball at the end; I thought it was a good idea to start, but WOW this thing is Great! I have used it in so many more situations than I had expected and it works better than I had anticipated. If you've been considering getting one, I say go for it!

@BillyBoy , @seedlings : can the retrieving end be unscrewed or removed from the pole? I carry a more traditional retreiver, and since I can unscrew the various heads, it fits better in my pack.

Also, you using the metal one or the carbon fiber one?

Thanks!

@BillyBoy , @seedlings : can the retrieving end be unscrewed or removed from the pole? I carry a more traditional retreiver, and since I can unscrew the various heads, it fits better in my pack.

Thanks!

Mine is Frankenstein. It was a cheap $10 amazon metal pole with a hook. A buddy of mine grabbed a multi-colored sucker ball kids toy at a checkout for $1, and I 'mounted' that toy to the end of the pole. Works a s well as my buddy's carbon fiber $60 pole. Well… one of the segments of my cheap pole will separate, so his pole is way better, but they retrieve discs with the same success rate.

Mine is Frankenstein. It was a cheap $10 amazon metal pole with a hook. A buddy of mine grabbed a multi-colored sucker ball kids toy at a checkout for $1, and I 'mounted' that toy to the end of the pole. Works a s well as my buddy's carbon fiber $60 pole. Well… one of the segments of my cheap pole will separate, so his pole is way better, but they retrieve discs with the same success rate.
So you're saying the $300 Sexton Firebird I just bought won't fly better than a stock stamp? Damn lol

All joking aside I dig it, I don't play enough water to justify purchasing one of these full price but I might copy you here (or something similar)

Yeah I had a friend go the same route like 5 years ago. He loves it and it works magic every time.

My wife got me the version with the expandable, metal pole for my birthday last year. It's really a game changer. I can pull discs from water, from fairly high up in trees, and even through fences. Not to mention that I no longer need to stick my hand into PI or thorn bushes to retrieve discs.

Way more useful than I had expected. I've had a golden retriever in the bag for 15 years, but I don't think I've used it since I got the new retriever.

I didn't realize these things existed until I got to the Dallas/FW area for a road trip a few months ago and the courses there all have creeks or rivers. Everyone had these things. My home courses has a creek, the suction cup ball attachment is worth its weight in gold!

Also like the Max Stick, but I bought the attachment that screws into my telescoping pole. Have seen it make easy work of retrieving discs that went to the bottom of a pond.

Only downside is,
  • Either the disc or suction cups need to be moist.

The moisture thing took us a minute to figure out, and when you first buy one you should gently wash the head in some soap according to the inventor. Production puts some type of gunk on there apparently.

Got a Max Disctance retriever w/ the suction cup for my brother for Christmas and he loves it. As we found out today, it is also invaluable to get your plastic out of those nasty pricker/sticker bushes without bleeding to death! :cool:

I had the poll and purchased a suction cup ball on Amazon. I too had to learn it works best after it's wet, but man, it is a heck of a lot easier than trying to hook a disc. I may try washing it with soap like Bill said.

All I did was poke a hole and sticked it on the hook. It did fall off once, not sure what happened but the course owner found it and texted me to say where it was.

These have all kinds of uses.

441027871_10233399888925989_5164358543624845033_n.jpg

These have all kinds of uses.

441027871_10233399888925989_5164358543624845033_n.jpg
Basket for hole #6 @ Jimmy Porter in Carrollton TX. (yea, this is right behind my store)

This and hole 8 have always been bad about being muddy around the basket for as long as the course has been in it's current configuration.

I had the poll and purchased a suction cup ball on Amazon. I too had to learn it works best after it's wet, but man, it is a heck of a lot easier than trying to hook a disc. I may try washing it with soap like Bill said.

All I did was poke a hole and sticked it on the hook. It did fall off once, not sure what happened but the course owner found it and texted me to say where it was.

Zip ties are your friend. :)

Thanks!

Hyoo, I've had the CF20 (carbon fiber 20' version, there is also 16' and 30') since Christmas. It's looks like you can change it out with a philipshead and a wrench, but a philips head alone won't do it. Site advertises you can use the CF for other things as such.

My CF20 with attachment is 606 grams = = 21.3 = 1lb 5.3oz, over 16-1/2 long without attachment a bit of tiny rod sticking out, even 20" with attachment.

I'm glad I got the carbon fiber, because while it's the first retriever I ever had, I had extendable metal poles for other uses including magnets, painting, etc. The CF is much lighter and there is much less arc / sag when pulled out to the max compared to metal, and I think much more usable at length.

Since I have nothing to compare against retriever-wise, but looking at videos, it seems the easiest in many scenarios, although I could see certain other styles of retriever doing much better when grasping/pulling is required. The CF pole also won't want to push the strongest before being pushed back into it's previous sheath.

It lets me play much more aggressive on courses. I was at New Hanover yesterday, that miserable course, and I used it 4x. Once when it went deep into heavy brush there and I just don't feel like scratched up. Second, when I was shooting a lot of discs, so one went into the ravine after #3 basket, and another into the deep ravine at 4. (I lost one or two over the years at the stream here when I didn't feel like getting wet in the past). No problem. Then again on #5 big anhyzer, bad kick into the brushy valley. None of these were saves per se, I could definitely have gotten at them eventually, but it saved me a lot of stress and my body wear and tear.

It lets me get discs out of trees, puddles, water, brush, swamp. There needs to be some distance overhead (or whatever direction the plate of the disc is facing) to whap at it and get suction. Maybe 6-8". It's weakness is probably when the disc is in a bush or super heavy brush with lots of branches interfering, but I haven't had such a situation where I couldn't prod it out, yet.

I should note once I have a disc, I try to walk myself backwards and get the disc over safe ground before trying to collapse the pole back.

I just use the buckle on my bag to attach the upper ring and it's secure.

I do wonder if I should have gotten the longer CF30. Haven't needed it yet though and it's quite a bit more expensive. I'm glad I didn't get the CF16, the extra bump to 20 was worth it. A happy medium, perhaps.

Would buy again.

IMG_1225.JPG IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1226.JPG

Hyoo, I've had the CF20 (carbon fiber 20' version, there is also 16' and 30') since Christmas. It's looks like you can change it out with a philipshead and a wrench, but a philips head alone won't do it. Site advertises you can use the CF for other things as such.

My CF20 with attachment is 606 grams = = 21.3 = 1lb 5.3oz, over 16-1/2 long without attachment a bit of tiny rod sticking out, even 20" with attachment.

I'm glad I got the carbon fiber, because while it's the first retriever I ever had, I had extendable metal poles for other uses including magnets, painting, etc. The CF is much lighter and there is much less arc / sag when pulled out to the max compared to metal, and I think much more usable at length.

Since I have nothing to compare against retriever-wise, but looking at videos, it seems the easiest in many scenarios, although I could see certain other styles of retriever doing much better when grasping/pulling is required. The CF pole also won't want to push the strongest before being pushed back into it's previous sheath.

It lets me play much more aggressive on courses. I was at New Hanover yesterday, that miserable course, and I used it 4x. Once when it went deep into heavy brush there and I just don't feel like scratched up. Second, when I was shooting a lot of discs, so one went into the ravine after #3 basket, and another into the deep ravine at 4. (I lost one or two over the years at the stream here when I didn't feel like getting wet in the past). No problem. Then again on #5 big anhyzer, bad kick into the brushy valley. None of these were saves per se, I could definitely have gotten at them eventually, but it saved me a lot of stress and my body wear and tear.

It lets me get discs out of trees, puddles, water, brush, swamp. There needs to be some distance overhead (or whatever direction the plate of the disc is facing) to whap at it and get suction. Maybe 6-8". It's weakness is probably when the disc is in a bush or super heavy brush with lots of branches interfering, but I haven't had such a situation where I couldn't prod it out, yet.

I should note once I have a disc, I try to walk myself backwards and get the disc over safe ground before trying to collapse the pole back.

I just use the buckle on my bag to attach the upper ring and it's secure.

I do wonder if I should have gotten the longer CF30. Haven't needed it yet though and it's quite a bit more expensive. I'm glad I didn't get the CF16, the extra bump to 20 was worth it. A happy medium, perhaps.

Would buy again.

View attachment 339024 View attachment 339025 View attachment 339026
Thanks for this!

I was able to order the head alone, direct from the manufacturer. Around $20, and it fits onto my existing pole. Easy enough to break down and store in my backpack.

I hope the only time it's used is to help cardmates, but now I'm ready!

Kind of a thread drift.........but.

Any input on keeping the screw in attachments [fork, hook, suction ball....] on the damn pole. Having lost one and chatting with numerous golfers that have, as well....any ideas would be great.

Any input on keeping the screw in attachments [fork, hook, suction ball....] on the damn pole. Having lost one and chatting with numerous golfers that have, as well....any ideas would be great.

3 basic methods.

Blue or Purple Loctite. Not red, which is permanent. Purple is the looser of the two. It's what the attachment guide here recommends at 4:20:

2 nuts. Assuming the attachment acts as one nut, put another on the stem and tighten against join.

Split washer can provide extra tension against turning.