• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

I'm glad so many here are having such success with discing down! I still feel good knowing everyone is going to step to the Teebox with a driver, and I'll probably step up with a Roc, or sometimes even a putter. I finally converted the two guys I play the most with to discing down and throwing their putters and mids more. But, I still throw mine more than they do, it's a habit now. I barely get to use my control drivers on some courses, lol! Sometimes I just force myself to throw a Cyclone because I know the Roc might not come back, cause they're so damn straight, LOL!

But, my forehand isn't great at all. I have a decent enough forehand for the trouble shots. So, I feel your pain, but I don't practice nearly as much as I should, but I'm comfortable making any shot I need to with it, so that's all that counts. I can't give much great advice on forehand though. Just glad to see everyone having success with it, and mostly discing down!

I got a lot more confident with forehands when I started using them when playing catch with lids. I can't drive very far with it (~200 with a roc), but I can do some great approaches

I forgot to share this little funny I had a week or so ago...

I ran into some guys from the DG club I belong too at our local course. I caught up to them and joined up. When we came to the longest hole on the course, 300' downhill. they all chuck drivers with decent results. I grab a buzzz and leave it a little short, it was a bad throw for me, I had way to much hyzer and the wind was up. The oldest guy asked what I threw, I said a Buzzz, and he replied "that's good distance for a Buzzz". The other guy was impressed too. I just sort of chuckled because I thought it was a bad shot. Both these guys sort of marvel at me not using any form of run up, just one step.

Interesting you've had success with the Avenger-SS, too. It's the easiest to flick disc I've ever come across. I was using a Z that was kinda new, so I thought it's just b/c it's stable. Then I tried my beat up ESP and it flew even further. I wonder if it's what you're saying about the arm flailing? I kind of know what you mean, my problem was too much arm movement in general.

Seems like one of the consultants on here told me to learn FH with a putter first, so, it does stand to reason that it would help clean up form.

Yeah putters is where I get the cleanest looking fh's, I actually added the zone with the idea of using the putter sucess if had but also adding a bit of overstability so I could learn to get on it a lil more.
I hope I'm on the right track, its just that I never see anyone throwing flippy molds, yet alone for fh.

Any advice on throwing putters for distance into strong headwinds? Or is it a lost cause? We've had consistent 20+ mph headwinds, and I just can't get my putters to do anything into the wind. Even with slowing down and focusing on getting good spin, I'm not having any luck. I don't know whether to keep working on my form or just chalk it up to the putter.

Any advice on throwing putters for distance into strong headwinds? Or is it a lost cause? We've had consistent 20+ mph headwinds, and I just can't get my putters to do anything into the wind. Even with slowing down and focusing on getting good spin, I'm not having any luck. I don't know whether to keep working on my form or just chalk it up to the putter.
Slower discs tend to penetrate less into headwinds, so getting distance with them is harder than it is with faster discs. As long as you're able to keep them from flipping too much your form is probably OK. You'll just need to disc up to get more D.

I've found by rolling my wrist under with putters to add stability they fight headwinds better. I don't get the same distance I would normally, but it helps a bit.

Slower discs tend to penetrate less into headwinds, so getting distance with them is harder than it is with faster discs. As long as you're able to keep them from flipping too much your form is probably OK. You'll just need to disc up to get more D.

I'm not concerned about the distance. If I need distance in a headwind, I'm not throwing a putter. I'm just concerned about form. They are flipping pretty bad on me and I can't seem to correct it.

I'm not concerned about the distance. If I need distance in a headwind, I'm not throwing a putter. I'm just concerned about form. They are flipping pretty bad on me and I can't seem to correct it.

If you throw 50mph into 20mph the air speed over the disc is 70mph which acts as though there is less spin to speed ratio on the disc. Spin helps keep the disc on the angle of release, so with less spin ratio the disc will tend to flip. The putter's less aerodynamic profile and less gyroscopic-ability also exaggerate the wind's effect compared to faster discs. You can try to add more hyzer and wrist roll under, but you will likely get more stalls and sail away hyzers. Being able to throw flat into headwinds will typically give the best results. Throwing something faster, more aerodynamic, stable, and/or more gyroscopic into headwinds is going to be more reliable.

Wobble on the disc will really be exaggerated into any headwind. Even a putter will bleed off a significant amount of wobble in calm conditions and flatten out and glide on shots under 200' but in a headwind you will terminally dump right very quickly on even a short 60' shot if you're all wobbly. People have this problem even on 20' putts if they don't get a good release on the disc.

For throwing approach shots and drives, my suggestion is to try and maximize contact between your index finger pad and the rim of the putter and work on getting a good pivot there...it's not even so much the amount of spin you put on the disc, though that is important for throwing harder shots, but it's making sure all the torque is as close to perpendicular to the flight plate as possible.

Well Today while getting pictures out at Zeb I did a round with just a River/Roc/Putter. Shot my Best round at there in a good while, 57...

I just want to say thanks and fairwell to the discing down movement. I've recently worked pds into my bag to get a feel for drivers again, and just added an eco star wraith, which I'm now throwing well over 400'. I play to still disc down to reach every hole I can with the slowest disc possible, but I'm now formally adding real drivers back into the bag.

It's been great, thanks for the help discing down. :thmbup:

Well, I have changed my bag up again...

It's now:

Five Teebirds (of varying weight and plastic for different situations)
Three Vipers (DX and moderately heavy)
Two Wham-O 44 Molds (which are Vipers with Wham-O rings on the top, one midweight, one heavy)
Three Cobras (midweight)
One Buzz (for shots the Cobras don't like to make)
One DGA Gumbputt (a vintage one from the 1980's)
One Wham-O 86 Softie (for wind conditions the Gumbputt is unsuited for)

So, six molds total. The Viper/44 gets the most use, being straight as can be. Teebirds are there for their specialty of the long, slow fading shots or the spike hyzers over something. The cobras are mostly straight, but with a fall off to the right. The Buzz is for shots where I just want straight, but usually I stick to the Cobras. The Gumbputt is 99% of my putts. The thing is awesome. I only pull out the 86 for two reasons: Driving with a putter and high winds.

I will also sometimes shoot approaches with a Zephyr, but not too often. I just like seeing that giant thing fly.

Wobble on the disc will really be exaggerated into any headwind. Even a putter will bleed off a significant amount of wobble in calm conditions and flatten out and glide on shots under 200' but in a headwind you will terminally dump right very quickly on even a short 60' shot if you're all wobbly. People have this problem even on 20' putts if they don't get a good release on the disc.

For throwing approach shots and drives, my suggestion is to try and maximize contact between your index finger pad and the rim of the putter and work on getting a good pivot there...it's not even so much the amount of spin you put on the disc, though that is important for throwing harder shots, but it's making sure all the torque is as close to perpendicular to the flight plate as possible.

this is terrible advice... I can throw a putter 280' with no wobble. And for shots under 280' it still won't wobble. Even in wind. The rest of this is just straight BS.

this is terrible advice... I can throw a putter 280' with no wobble. And for shots under 280' it still won't wobble. Even in wind. The rest of this is just straight BS.

What the hell are you talking about? That was straight gibberish. :thmbdown:

I think everything he said was right on and lines up exactly with my experience with putters and eliminating (or at least reducing) OAT when throwing them.

if you are talking about someone starting to throw putters. That wasn't the impression I got. I took it as he was saying all putters will do this no matter what. And mine don't wobble anymore, and there are plenty of videos with other people throwing theirs without wobble.

Latest posts