• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

man, my wizards wobble like crazy if I have to full power rip them. I definatley have some OAT, I've been strugling with it since I started with backhand.

I think he was talking about what effect wobble will have on your disc, and how to eliminate it.

Check then. My experience though with wobble wasn't grip related. It was timing/rip related. I didn't quite learn it with putters. But with Comets in learning how to do that strong snappy last second pull with the disc. Like when people say "get your wrist out in front of it" or the idea of the towel drills.

I also noticed that when I isolated my grip to the lower part of the rim on the putter that also helped clean up the wobble a bit. I use to have the finger pads on the rim and finger tips on the flight plate. Now the tips are about halfway up the rim with the pads still in full contact.

In my bag:

- Soft Wizard x2
- HPP Wizard (for trees)
- Z Comet
- HPP Element
- HPP Blaze (for windy times)

I had an Evo Proline Assassin in there but it was going no farther than my mids so I've scrapped it.

Wizards

man, my wizards wobble like crazy if I have to full power rip them. I definatley have some OAT, I've been strugling with it since I started with backhand.

I throw Wizards, but not well sometimes. Get a Fuse or Comet if you want to throw short or mid range BH shots and work on form. Once you smooth out the huge flaws, start mixing the Wizards back in. I'm still not great with Wizars, but with a fan grip can use them up to 200' with confidence. Use your mids until you refine your form a bit.

just got my elite-x comets in the mail so gonna see how things go this afternoon.. dont feel like my form is that bad..dont get much distance but feel like my form is pretty good but i guess i will find out lol.. so for the most part the elite-x comets should go bout dead straight right? i got two 172, 174..

Putters...question

Learning to throw your putter with a power grip is a very useful thing. Gateway putters are way better than any others.

I've been putting with my Wizards for probably a year and a half. I use them for approaches and drives too, but I'm all over the place with consistency. Some days I'm good, some days I'm 80' to the right, or left. So I've been tinkering with a Pure and Jokeri for off the tee and long approach duties. I still use the Wizards I side of 60' or so. With the Pure and the Jokeri I am so much more consistent, and haven't lost any distance. I think they are more comfortable and fit my hand better due to the lack of big bead. I don't want to carry 3 freaking putters though. So my question is when is the time to give up on the Wizard as an all-around one mold putter, and when is the time to stick with it longer? I'm not trashing the Wizard, or Gateway, but maybe for some no bead is better.

I've tinkered with putting with the Pure and Jokeri, but am not sold on that idea yet. Do I just keep carrying 3 putters??

I've been putting with my Wizards for probably a year and a half. I use them for approaches and drives too, but I'm all over the place with consistency. Some days I'm good, some days I'm 80' to the right, or left. So I've been tinkering with a Pure and Jokeri for off the tee and long approach duties. I still use the Wizards I side of 60' or so. With the Pure and the Jokeri I am so much more consistent, and haven't lost any distance. I think they are more comfortable and fit my hand better due to the lack of big bead. I don't want to carry 3 freaking putters though. So my question is when is the time to give up on the Wizard as an all-around one mold putter, and when is the time to stick with it longer? I'm not trashing the Wizard, or Gateway, but maybe for some no bead is better.

I've tinkered with putting with the Pure and Jokeri, but am not sold on that idea yet. Do I just keep carrying 3 putters??

Maybe. Mold minimalization can get a little obsessive sometimes and people ask "do I really need to carry two of these?" Be it putters, mids, fairway dirvers further. The thing that interests me is that most people who minimalize only ask that about one area or the other. What it comes down to is personal preference.

The Wizard is a wonderful putter but you yourself have a personal pref that effects your choices. The Jokeri is a better driving putter than a putting putter so just use the Jokeri and Wizard if you like. I met a pretty solid pro who carries 5 putters (3 molds) because he had very specific issues to address. The Warlock might be a good choice for you if you really want to minimalize. It looks like an Aviar P&A, flies like a Wizard!

I'd say using 3 putter molds isn't bad at all, if they have their own places. Your actual putter is totally preference, and it doesn't matter what you use, unlike mids/drivers/even driving putters. So I'd say that having a putting putter and OS and US driving putters is fine.

just got my elite-x comets in the mail so gonna see how things go this afternoon.. dont feel like my form is that bad..dont get much distance but feel like my form is pretty good but i guess i will find out lol.. so for the most part the elite-x comets should go bout dead straight right? i got two 172, 174..

Yeah! More than likely, if you have some OAT, they'll turn over pretty hard. Hopefully you'll be throwing them with a slight hyzer and have them flattening out in no time. Then with the X's, after they are broken in, they'll flatten out, and start a controlable turnover, hopefully. At least that's how mine go. Though I have a lighter Z that I can usually get to turn in a similar fashion.

I'd say using 3 putter molds isn't bad at all, if they have their own places. Your actual putter is totally preference, and it doesn't matter what you use, unlike mids/drivers/even driving putters. So I'd say that having a putting putter and OS and US driving putters is fine.

Yeah, I've always sort of questioned the one putter only crowd. I mean, people carry many different mids and drivers, why only one putter?

*puffs pipe*
Ah, the multiple putter mold debate, splendid.

It's some kind of wonderful to have one putter mold do it all, b/c the uniformity in grip and feel is great. Putters are generally pretty easy to beat into predictable wear cycles, that's a big reason for Wiz-love.

That being said, I don't think having 2-3 putter molds is necessarily bad, as long as you aren't getting too specialized, i.e. "this is my understable, straddle only, low tunnel putter from 70'-40' in." I myself carry 3 right now and I'm digging it, Summits for putting, Ions for approaching/driving, and an ESP Zone for quirky stuff like skips and FH rollers (but hardly ever putting so is it really a putter per se?)

In your case Sloppy, I think you could potentially phase out the Wiz b/w the Jokeri and the Pure unless the Wiz is giving you some magic putting juju that you can't get with the other two.

The Pure feels a little too shallow for putting. The baseline Jokeri feels good, but it has kind of a strange fade on putts. I might be able to adjust to it, but you've seen those damn Jokeri's roll. Not sure I want to commit to it for lots of duty. Right now it is pretty much approaches where I need the fade, wind and an occasional tee shot where the fade is needed.

I'll keep them all around for now and see where it goes. Threw some very nice tee shots with a Pure yesterday during my putter(s) only round. If the heat let's up a little maybe I'll do so e putting in the backyard with the Pure and Jokeri, and see how it goes.

Sloppy, you know what I'd say. For the rest of you, I'll say it. It's the archer, not the arrow. Which is why the only putter mold I carry is the Wizard. It's just for simplicity's sake. if I want to practice putting, I don't need to grab a stack of my putting putters to maintain a sense of familiarity in my hand. I just grab a few Wizards. The same for field work. Just grab some Wizards.

Having said that, I seem to prefer stiffer ones for actual pitting duties to slightly less stiff ones for throwing, just for the feel in my hand, and the way they beat in and wear, so I can see how and why you might want to carry a different putter for putting than for throwing. I don't really see the need for three molds, though. I've never seen the need for a really overstable putter like the Zone or Jokeri. I'm of the opinion that you'd be better off learning to shape lines by manipulating nose angles and rolling you wrist under to get more fade. But that's just me.

Well isn't it possible to get two putters that feel similar, but yet fly diff. ie wiz n magic? I've been looking for something to compliment my wiz somethin that finishes a little straighter. Tried my friends magic and loved it. Felt similar minus the bead, and same plastic options. Won't replace my wiz but will make a good sidekick to my go to wiz.

Well isn't it possible to get two putters that feel similar, but yet fly diff. ie wiz n magic? I've been looking for something to compliment my wiz somethin that finishes a little straighter. Tried my friends magic and loved it. Felt similar minus the bead, and same plastic options. Won't replace my wiz but will make a good sidekick to my go to wiz.

You could always just play the stages of wear game with a couple of Wizards. You may be doing it already, not realizing it til you get a newer Wizard.

Yeah! More than likely, if you have some OAT, they'll turn over pretty hard. Hopefully you'll be throwing them with a slight hyzer and have them flattening out in no time. Then with the X's, after they are broken in, they'll flatten out, and start a controlable turnover, hopefully. At least that's how mine go. Though I have a lighter Z that I can usually get to turn in a similar fashion.

Yeah, I've always sort of questioned the one putter only crowd. I mean, people carry many different mids and drivers, why only one putter?

yeah it went very well with them yesterday in a field session.. most of my throws with them were bout dead straight just throwing them flat.. did have a couple that S'd on me and one or two turned hard but i could tell when those left my hand they werent going to be good and i was getting lil tired..but yeah when i focused and was on they were great! I could throw them on a hyzer or anny and they would hold about any line and they can only help my form :thmbup:

I dont know if this is relevant to the current discussion...

Day 1 of Discing Down was great.

Only threw an Avenger SS-Sidewinder on Drives Roc/Buzz on Mids and Ridge-Banger GT on Putts

Shot -3 under @ Lenora on Front nine (had to stop due to acct of storms and daylight). My best on Lenora on front nine was -1 and that was fighting till the ninth hole. Could have been -4 if it wernt for one errant drive and I had two chances @ Eagle Putts, but blew them. Cant wait to see what else I can do when I disc down.