• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania splits with Innova

Interesting.

So who owns the molds they have been selling?
Wasn't there a lot of talk about Discmania using an "Anhyzer top"? That would be the question really, if that Anhyzer top mold piece was somehow proprietary to Discmania. If it is, Innova wouldn't be able to use it.

So far as I know, the rest of the mold pieces were innova molds so stuff like the P2 is already out there in other forms.

Huge disaster for Discmania. They are no longer selling any of the products that made them famous.

Since they're selling mostly discontinued Innova molds, my guess would be Innova.

Weren't they also using some of the current production Innova wings? I'm 99% sure the bottom piece of the DDx is the destroyer wing, and the Firebird wing is I think the FD3 or PD or something?

This is big news...almost as big as the whole 2012-2013 shakeup and Prodigy hitting the scene.

A lot of the discs have something shockingly similar on Infinite already;

PD3- Slab
DD3- Emperor
P2-Alpaca
MD3- Chariot
FD3- Scepter
FD- Exodus

The discs with the anhyzer top will need to be figured out, but at least most players will have an easy option.

He is still wearing an Originals sweatshirt at the end of the video. I wonder if they are going to clone the originals line and still use that name? Like a Latitude molded FD. I am sure Innova is retaining their molds, so this would mean that Discmania needs to pay for tooling for the molds that Latitude would use.

Biggest question for me is are the Discmania pros going to try and start replacing the originals in their bags.

And when can I get an infinite MD4 clone?

First McBeth.
Now Discmania.

Innova's doomed.... :|

The real dilemma is if Lat 64 ends up producing for Discmania, "Trilogy" becomes meaningless.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Earlier this week Jussi posted on Discmania Collectors and Throwers Group that Innova owns all the molds and mold parts to all the Originals, Discmania only owns the disc names.

So I guess my Discmania stash just went up 5x in value.

Possible changes -

Discmania makes their own molds and buys their own machines.
Over time and with volume, their profit would grow versus having to pay a margin to other companies to use their molds and have them manufacture your discs, ship them to you, etc.

Makes their own molds but has Lat64 (or someone else) manufacture the discs.

Really crazy would be if Discmania aligned with Discraft.
Discmania is in Colorado, Discraft in Michigan.
One might think the McBeth exodus has ongoing ripple effects as Discraft continues to rise to new levels.

I recall an interview Dunipace gave a couple years ago where he stated overseas sales are limited for disc golf, I think he mentioned that in the Philippines the average monthly household income is $ 30, so no way they can buy discs..
But if Jussi aspires to go global, he needs to find ways to get the cost of manufacturing and distribution way down.

We saw Paul McBeth install a course in La Paz, Mexico this week, an opportunity to grow the sport, but needs lower price points. There was a picture of him installing a basket in the middle of some boulders, totally thrashes the discs, I would have focused on disc preservation and kept the basket away from the boulders.

The disc golf world is changing, is Innova getting left behind ?

Not really, demand greatly exceeds their capacity, so they are expanding facilities, adding shifts, etc., but so are the other companies. You will also notice price points are up on some discs, Halos sell for more, etc.

A growing industry, but relative to other industries, very few profit from it, so people need to make moves, good luck Jussi !

A lot of the discs have something shockingly similar on Infinite already;

PD3- Slab
DD3- Emperor
P2-Alpaca
MD3- Chariot
FD3- Scepter
FD- Exodus

The discs with the anhyzer top will need to be figured out, but at least most players will have an easy option.

The Exodus is not the FD mold, it is the Eagle-L mold