• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft thinning the heard

Guess it just depends on what sells. And what sells probably depends more on retailers than individual disc golfers.

Wow, I threw discraft only for years and if I still did All that was in my bag thats still available in the plastics I threw is Z Pred, Z Buzzz, comets and D Challengers...

The Avenger is one of the best cycling "control" drivers there was.

Well, I think that putts a fork in it for me.
No more FLX, their D line plastic sucks, not enough molds in ESP and I can't throw Z-line and that seems to be all they make anything in now (too slick for me).

I'll go out and get a few more Comets (before they make them only in Z or drop the mold all together) and say ta-ta, nice to have thrown you, but I'm moving on

Big Z has nearly the same grip as ESP, and is more durable. I still like ESP, but Big Z works as a replacement. And Z FLX is so close to ESP FLX in flight and feel.

Big Z has nearly the same grip as ESP, and is more durable. I still like ESP, but Big Z works as a replacement. And Z FLX is so close to ESP FLX in flight and feel.

Wut r u smoking??? Big Z is certainly a nice version of Z, but it is not similar to ESP.

The reason that ESP is required is that it breaks in completely differently than Z. I contend that big Z is very different from ESP new, and it is not even similar once beat.

Crack, but never this early.

And I was just referring to the grip. The big Z's I have (Nuke, Buzzz, Zombee, Zone) are just as grippy as ESP (more so, than the firmest runs of ESP). I don't cycle plastic. I rock em box fresh, so I'd agree: Any version of Z would be impractical to cycle.

Crack, but never this early.

And I was just referring to the grip. The big Z's I have (Nuke, Buzzz, Zombee, Zone) are just as grippy as ESP (more so, than the firmest runs of ESP). I don't cycle plastic. I rock em box fresh, so I'd agree: Any version of Z would be impractical to cycle.

u r correct, couldn't agree more.

I started out as an all Discraft guy but nowadays all that's left in my bag are ESP Comet, ESP Zone, ESP Flex buzzz, Z Wasp, ESP Drone and ESP Predator.

Wow my bag sure took a hit there... I guess in a few years when I run out of replacement discs I'll have to look for some new molds.

Looks like ALL the discraft discs i still have in th ebag suddenly got discontinued. WTF!

Sorry, not in my world. While Big-Z is grippier than "Z", it is no where near as nice as ESP or Flx. And once it gets colder, Big-Z goes in the basement until spring.

I like big z plastic, but give esp for most things any day. In my IMO esp grips better glides better and has the ability to brake in.

Now that the killer bees midrange line has lost the Hornet and the Drone, Wasp definitely looks next in line. Too bad - they were the gold standard when I started playing.

Drone will still be available in BigZ, and the Wasp is their only OS mid with a bead, so I doubt that is going anywhere. Plus Doss uses them as much as his Ti Buzzz, it seems....

I hope not on Wasp OOP...I'd have to stock up quick it that happened. Great moderately OS midrange...it actually has some glide. :)

I'm not a Discraft devotee, but most of my mids and putters have been for a while... I just like what they do for me.

The past couple of years, I've been working Cranks into my bag in various weights and plastics, so now DC is definitely makes most of what's in my bag. The only slots I don't like filling with DC are my fairways (except for the Predator).

My current fairway line up is:
JLS... flippy
Champ Leo... nicely seasoned
Neutron Amp
Star Tee Bird
Z Pred

Never been a fan of the Impact, Cyclone or Stalker, but given the Thrasher and UnderTaker, I could probably go all DC except I don't think they have a Tee Bird equivalent. :|

It's not like truly I care which brands I bag, but I seem to come across a lot of their stuff for trade or as payment for spotting on the Toboggan for Am Nats... and not paying cash for discs I actually like to throw is nice.

Last edited:
No more FLX!!

My favorite plastic is FLX, especially mids or for woods courses. It is the plastic that is truly unique for Discraft. Other companies are currently trying to duplicate it to no avail. It is a major screwup by Discraft.

Wait what.

Avengers, XLs, and Comets... Leave for half a year and half of my bag is OOP.

I suppose there's like 50 discs in the Avenger's little corner of the flight chart, and Comets and Fugitives (also OOP. Sometimes.) have always been fighting for that spot in my bag...

But not my XLs. No other fairway has clicked for me like the XL. Buying 50 Z and X XLs.

Wait what.

Avengers, XLs, and Comets... Leave for half a year and half of my bag is OOP.

I suppose there's like 50 discs in the Avenger's little corner of the flight chart, and Comets and Fugitives (also OOP. Sometimes.) have always been fighting for that spot in my bag...

But not my XLs. No other fairway has clicked for me like the XL. Buying 50 Z and X XLs.

The only Comet they are OOPing is the Z Tye Dye ones. I hate I can't tell you the same about the Avenger and XL though buddy. :(

The only Comet they are OOPing is the Z Tye Dye ones. I hate I can't tell you the same about the Avenger and XL though buddy. :(

Oh. Guess I should pay attention. Tye Dye is dumb anyway. And Avengers are kinda too much for me anyway. And like I said, there's 50 replacements for it. If no one likes XLs like they think I shouldn't have any trouble finding them, I suppose.

the xs and the hornet were the bad ones for me. I have stacks of z xs so that will hold for a while but hornet I am going to have to grab a few.

Generally, I think Discraft is smart to be thinning the herd. A disc company that offers more than 2-3 options in the same category makes me feels like its just pumping junk out there to get me to buy one.

But tough news on the Hornet, which is a very cool disc. Most overstable mids and putters I have thrown do not match the Hornet in ability to hold a nice long straight line and then finish left every time.

Even so, the Hornet was basically on the outside of my bag looking in. A zone goes almost as far (with more effort), but does not finish as hard left and does not skip. It handles the spike upshots and short flicks and flex shots equally well. A stable driver will give you hard left finish on a short enough shot - but you have to deal with the skip. So I was already waffling on carrying a Hornet or maybe a Predator that could go further than the Zone and also help out with driving on really windy days.

I would like to see Discraft come up with an overstable speed 6 hybrid mid/fairway in z and z-flx - something that finishes hard left but is not as high speed stable as firebirds and justices.

Latest posts