• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

A few years back at my home course a buddy of mine was practice putting before the round with his bag 75-100' away near another teepad. An unleashed dog walked right up to his bag, lifted a leg, and pissed all over his bag. The dog owner didn't even seem to care. I'm not mad about the dog being off leash in this instance because I still laugh thinking about this.

Wonder if these threads ever convince anyone to use a leash. I rarely see a dog on-leash at the course. Even if enforced, what's the fine? Maybe $50?

^ I think people are too stubborn and stuck in their ways to actually change, usually.

Leash dogs:
- for safety
- for the comfort of others
- for liability/following laws
- b/c it's the smart thing to do
- to avoid urine stains on bags

Don't lease dogs. Owning and fostering are better options.

And, please, if your dog is on a leash don't give him so much slack - or bring him over - so that he can come "greet" me. I'll walk closer if I want to interact.

Yep, this is true so I notice the body language of the person and act appropriately.

Something to keep in mind from both perspectives though, is if the dog is near or at the end of the leash, I don't want to then put a lot of tension on it to pull the dog back toward me. I would rather stand in place with an almost taut or almost slack leash and then let the dog stay there and have enough radius so the person and dog can have space to not interact if they do not want to. Increasing tension on the leash unnecessarily can increase tension on the situation.

Point is, if you see someone not reeling their dog back in but trying to give you space, that is the logic behind it...trying to keep things as relaxed as possible.

Wow I have never seen so many dog haters:\ Glad none of you live in my neck of the woods!

Point is, if you see someone not reeling their dog back in but trying to give you space, that is the logic behind it...trying to keep things as relaxed as possible.

I'm OK (and appreciative) if they're trying give me space. Most leashes only seem to serve the purpose of keeping the owner within a few feet of wherever the dog wants to go.

Which is still a million times better than unleashed. So, thanks to everyone who does leash their dog.

If that's your belief (and it's perfectly reasonable), then you cede all right to complain about other folks and whether their dogs are leashed or not.

So when you're mongrel comes charging up to my dog that never leaves my side when commanded to, I don't have a right to complain? That's utterly ridiculous!

Everyone thinks their dog is well trained, until it isn't. Can't count how many times I've seen a dog do something (barking, jumping, running away, not heeding commands) and the owner saying "he's never done that before". We're still talking about an animal that has in-born instincts that can't be 100% trained away.

You've never met a well-trained dog then. It's not necessarily surprising, outside of hunting dogs, I've never met one either. They're probably pretty rare to see in a park or DG course.

Leash laws exist for a reason, and they're not conditional. Nor should they be.
They exist for a reason, for idiot dog owners, who typically don't obey them anyway. Pretty much the same reason as most laws, to protect us from idiots (who generally don't obey them anyway).

How would your "truly" well trained dog react to another dog charging and biting him? I can tell you: he'd fight back. And now you have a fighting dog off a leash. GL getting that under control.

So I have to leash my dog to protect someone else's disobedient unleashed dog?

Wow I have never seen so many dog haters:\ Glad none of you live in my neck of the woods!

Nope. We love dogs. That's why we keep them on leashes. And anyone's perfectly trained dog, I'm sure, will "have never acted like that before." I mean, these are animals. Animals are unpredictable. The old Hollywood adage ("never work with children or animals") doesn't mention adult humans.

I know it's only three weeks into January, but this may have thread of the year potential just on multiple people getting screwed by autocorrect before they hit submit.

And yeah, keep Fido on a leash, rah rah rah.

Whomever owns the property you are on makes the rules whether it be public or private. I allow free dogs at Hawk Hollow provided they are not cattle chasers, then I don't. Violators make me really mad as they put our livelihood in jeopardy. Sidenote: it is legal in Virginia for me to shoot your dog if it is chasing my cattle.

Kinda hard to complain about peoples dogs on leashes when you dont have one on your own dog.I thought in most states it's the law to have your dog on a leash when outside away from house.

Latest posts