• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking at tournaments?

Drinking during a tournament?

• Should not be allowed?

Votes: 107 46.5%
  • TD descresion?

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Should be allowed?

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • Doesn't matter to you?

Votes: 44 19.1%

• Total voters
Tobacco and alcohol companies used to be HUGE sponsors of many different venues/sports until the owners realized what type of image was being portrayed and now you hardly ever see them as a MAJOR/MAIN sponsors.

Yup, beer sponsorship is almost nonexistent in Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey. :doh:

Yup, beer sponsorship is almost nonexistent in Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey. :doh:

Not even to mention racing which used to be ALL about the tobacco and beer specially NHRA events held up in (BIR) Brainerd MN. I remember as a kid even hot girls walking around giving packs of cigs out to people who answered some dumb survey.

You don't see pro golfers on tv smoking and drinking. It's an image thing, and making those things against the rules is a necessary part of getting the image of disc golf tournaments ready for prime time. I don't know of anyone who has been DQd for having alcohol on their breath or blown pupils. And nobody is asking players to take breathalizer or piss tests. So the effect of the rules is to keep drug and alcohol use invisible. And I think that's the intent as well. And if parks departments find their parks littered with beer cans after tournaments, that's going to make it harder to get tournaments hosted at nice parks. So it just makes sense to have those rules.

Smoking at least isn't against the rules, pga just won't let them air it.

No Way I want to play in a sanctioned tourney with someone who has been drinking. Drinking leads to poor judgment, forgetting the rules, inability to count & unnecessary altercations. I know everyone THINKS they can handle themselves while drinking but most are clueless about how poor their judgment becomes. I have played non-sanctioned rounds with people that were drinking and were just fine but have seen the clueless drunk also. I prefer not to deal with it.

I don't drink during casual rounds, however, I like to have a beer (discretely in my car) before the first round and between rounds as it helps with pre tourney nerves.

The only 1000 rated round I've shot I was wasted.

The biggest series in Oregon happens in the winter and has a lot of drinking.

Here is something for all of you nay-sayers to chew on. Our local club (one of the largest in the country), is sponsored by a local brewery, Schlafly Brewing Co. They provide us with cases, kegs, t-shirts, keychains, and other assorted freebies. For our A-Tier event, they provide us with 4 kegs of their fine product for the player's party. We obviously don't provide any free beer during the round, as that is against the rules. For any fundraiser event (Save the Ta-Ta's comes to mind) they provide a couple of kegs to help encourage attendance. These are usually tapped as soon as someone's throat gets a little dry. For club events they provide a handful of variety 12-packs to hand out as we see fit. This is usually for CTPs, the tournament director, and for raising a few extra bucks to throw into the pot. Sometimes we will even get a keg or 2 for a club event (Club Championships comes to mind). These are usually tapped at the lunch break. 99% of the people that partake in the oat soda are perfectly responsible about it. Sure, you are always going to have someone that has a bit too much, but more than likely they were going to do this anyway, and as long as they aren't driving home, they honestly aren't hurting anyone other than themselves. I would say that over the period of the year, Schlafly consistently provides us with well over $2000 in sponsorship value! We have not had any incidents that would make us think twice about continuing our relationship with a beer manufacturer. It has been a win-win.

I meant to vote that it should not be allowed, but misklicked -.-

That is during the round of course. Afterwards I like to enjoy a good cold one.

I was at a monthly once, and a few people were drinking, and this mother and two kids come walking up to the course. Now, this member totally smelled like beer and it was pretty obvious that he was drunk. He went up to the mother and two kids and started talking about how we invite kids to get involved and they were even thinking about starting a juniors league. It just seemed trashy to me at the time and at that particular moment, I would have said 'hells no to beer on the course.' Nonetheless, I still vote for 'don't care.' Just wanted to offer a little devils advocate from a first hand experience.

I was at a monthly once, and a few people were drinking, and this mother and two kids come walking up to the course. Now, this member totally smelled like beer and it was pretty obvious that he was drunk. He went up to the mother and two kids and started talking about how we invite kids to get involved and they were even thinking about starting a juniors league. It just seemed trashy to me at the time and at that particular moment, I would have said 'hells no to beer on the course.' Nonetheless, I still vote for 'don't care.' Just wanted to offer a little devils advocate from a first hand experience.

What happened with that? Some dude that smelled of beer told people about leagues?

It just seemed trashy to me at the time and at that particular moment, I would have said 'hells no to beer on the course.'

Would you send your kid to a league recommended by a drunk dude?

I require 3 to 4 Pabst Blue Ribbon or any other beer. After that to much buzz for me, but on just 3 to 4 beer's I shot pretty damn good. Now if the competion want's to get smashed a throw like crap I'm down for that:);)

Would you send your kid to a league recommended by a drunk dude?

The people I have been around? yes. I don't have kids, though. Never had a problem with any under-age people out on the course. People drink and smoke, people know what they're takin' their kids to. Obviously, they trust the people enough to let them take an underage kid around the course. I'd like to see how many people have had an actual problem, not just what MIGHT go wrong.

My opinion is that if alcohol is against the rules then nicotine should be as well. Why should one player be allowed something to calm his nerves when another is denied that same benefit.

If it's ok in NCAA then it should be for the PDGA.

My opinion is that if alcohol is against the rules then nicotine should be as well. Why should one player be allowed something to calm his nerves when another is denied that same benefit.

What if a person relaxes by strangling hitch hikers. Should they be denied this benefit?:p;)