• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drivers.

iDisc

Par Member
i was playing a round today and i came up against a straight tunnel shot that was too long for a thumber to reach the basket in 1 shot. i looked over my bag looking for a straight fast disc and i realized that i became obsessed with maximum distance with throwing s curves that need a lot of room to finish their flight.( hyzer flips are inaccurate also.)

so to sum up my story im looking for a straight flier. doesn't need to go as long as my destroyer but something that will go straight in a higher end plastic.

my main drivers are.... 169g Star Destroyer (fast with a huge fade at the end). 166 Star Wraith(very quick abrupt left turn at the end). IDK Champion Wraith.(very quick abrupt left turn at the end) 167 Star TeeRex.(if thrown fast it turns over immediately but always comes back unless there is a left to right wind)

so something that is straight and can be kept pretty low would be really nice. all suggestions are appreciated

( hyzer flips are inaccurate also.)
I disagree with that 100%. A hyzer flip is the most accurate way to throw a straight shot or to shape any sort of line.

I'd look at the Champion Starfire, SOLF or Z Avenger for what you're asking, though. The Teebird is the longest disc that will fly really straight, but isn't great on lower lines.

DX Gazelle, DX Teebird, Polaris LS would all work, but are slow compared to what you're used to throwing. Personally, I throw Rocs on shorter (<300') tunnels, and Star Orcs on pretty much any longer tunnel shot.

A hyzer-flip is a shot released with hyzer angle that will flip up to an angle closer to horizontal (or beyond, depending on the stability of the disc). Hopefully that makes sense :)

i have a 175 star teebird and it is everything but straight

I've had a few teebirds and never seen one that would go straight. The teebird L's are some stable Pieces of crap also.

I highly reccommend a champion sidewinder for this shot. It is understable so you have to be careful not to throw it too hard or it will turn right. It has alot of glide and almost no fade so if you keep it low it will stay up for a long time with minimal fade at the end. Sometimes the fade on the skip will be more than you want so you have to keep the disc on the right side of the tunnel and low. My brother uses a champion roadrunner with similar results but it is even more understable and easier to turn right than the sidewinder.

Try a Viking or a Pro Valkyrie. Also a Discraft XL or an LS Polairs, or a JLS would work well.

A seasoned teebird will go straight but new and champ T's are stable. Try a Pro Leopard or SE Teebird. An XL is nice too. Get them in mid-grade plastic. It tends to work in a little better and not hyzer so hard when it slows down.

what's a hyzer flip?

A Hyzr flip is when you start the disc on a hyzer angle but you throw it with enough power to flip it to slightly anhyzer. It curves slightly right and then goes straight for a while and then finishes left. For a long distance throw it does stay straight for more of it's fligt path, however it is tricky to throw cuz your hyzer angle has to be just right. so I would say it is very accurate when thrown correctly but it is way more room for error with a hyzer.

BTW I use a 165 wildcat or 170 monarch for my hyzer flips. I don't have the power to flip a surge or wraith unless there's a headwind.

A big sweeeping S curve is very differnt compared to a hyzer flip (which you mentioned as being inaccurate in the first post)
As far a disc for that shot: discraft XL in X plastic, Leopard, cyclone, or a roc is always a great choice for tight holes

i was playing a round today and i came up against a straight tunnel shot that was too long for a thumber to reach the basket in 1 shot. i looked over my bag looking for a straight fast disc and i realized that i became obsessed with maximum distance with throwing s curves that need a lot of room to finish their flight.( hyzer flips are inaccurate also.)

so to sum up my story im looking for a straight flier. doesn't need to go as long as my destroyer but something that will go straight in a higher end plastic.

my main drivers are.... 169g Star Destroyer (fast with a huge fade at the end). 166 Star Wraith(very quick abrupt left turn at the end). IDK Champion Wraith.(very quick abrupt left turn at the end) 167 Star TeeRex.(if thrown fast it turns over immediately but always comes back unless there is a left to right wind)

so something that is straight and can be kept pretty low would be really nice. all suggestions are appreciated

The Champ Leopard and the the Champ Valkyrie both work well for me, I use the Valkyrie for longer shots. Both go straight and stay low if released right, the Leopard's a little easier to throw and control and the Valkyrie's longer but needs a little more speed. Use a predictable hyzer-flip shot and both these are straight and accurate discs.

I use a champ Leopard for tunnel shots on longer holes and a Roc on shorter ones. Both fly straight as an arrow with very little to no fade at the end.

Q or S JLS will do fine as long you throw it correctly...

Snapping JLS too hard will make it veer to the right a bit too much. Just throw it at correct timing and it will glide straight and long.

Practice, practice, practice...

A roadrunner will fly straight IF...you throw it flat and level with no hyzer/anhyzer, and will have very little fade at the end.