• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drivers.

A roadrunner will fly straight IF...you throw it flat and level with no hyzer/anhyzer, and will have very little fade at the end.
... AND you throw it slow.

speed-9.gif

A roadrunner will fly straight IF...you throw it flat and level with no hyzer/anhyzer, and will have very little fade at the end.

I think I agree with ERicJ on this one. If there is one disc that will turn over if thrown flat its the roadrunner. You would have to either hyzer flip it flat or throw it a lot slower than designed to make it fly straight. Any power at all and its either heading right or on its edge doing the roadrunner thing.

Stick with the stable discs if you want dead nuts straight shots.

For a long distance throw it does stay straight for more of it's fligt path, however it is tricky to throw cuz your hyzer angle has to be just right. so I would say it is very accurate when thrown correctly but it is way more room for error with a hyzer.
Hyzers are more accurate, but not as long and you need the room to throw them. If you have a hyzer line available it's probably a good idea to use it.

However, I'm not sure I agree that hyzer flips are as tricky as people make them sound. They do require better disc selection than most people really use, though. Most of the time people seem to talk about using flippy drivers rather than beat up drivers with stabalizers. Discs like the Sidewinder, Roadrunner and Leopard won't be as predictable as a Cyclone, Gazelle, Teebird or JLS.

Hyzers are more accurate, but not as long and you need the room to throw them. If you have a hyzer line available it's probably a good idea to use it.

However, I'm not sure I agree that hyzer flips are as tricky as people make them sound. They do require better disc selection than most people really use, though. Most of the time people seem to talk about using flippy drivers rather than beat up drivers with stabalizers. Discs like the Sidewinder, Roadrunner and Leopard won't be as predictable as a Cyclone, Gazelle, Teebird or JLS.

Good point with the right disc they are pretty consistent it's just that, for me anyhow, the right disc changes alot depending on the wind. I'm also not that good I just got back into the game after a 12 year hiatus. It's amazing how much easier things are for people with talent.:confused:

Here's how Innova defines Hyzre-Flip and S Shots:

Hyzer Flip – The Hyzer Flip is very similar to an S-shot but follows a straighter line. An understable disc is thrown very fast with a hyzer angle of release. The disc will naturally turn or "flip" and bring its nose down in the process. This allows for a long straight glide.

S-Shot – This shot is thrown using an understable disc to the left side of the fairway. The natural turn of the disc causes the disc to turn over and fly to the right side of the fairway. As the disc slows down it will fade back to the left.

Here's how I see the hyzer flip vs. S-shot issue: the flip has a greater risk of finishing too far left if you don't flip it all the way up as flat as you want, and the S-shot has a greater risk of finishing right if you misjudge the disc's turn. I find the hyzer flip to be a more difficult shot to execute (it usually happens for me serendipitously) because I don't have a lot of power. However, I find the S-curve can be difficult to control if I throw an understable disc.

When I need a really straight throw, I usually go for a Leopard or a straight-as-an-arrow midrange (take your pick), and just throw it flat and under control. Heck, if 200' is all you need, why not use your putter, or failing that, a really slow and straight midrange, like the Innova Coyote? When there's danger on both sides, I'd rather finish a little short than right or left.

Does anybody have any info on Latitude 64 regarding their drivers? What are their best ones? Best plastic?

it says "several types of hyzer flips: roll curve, flattened hyzer, s-curve.

this is supposed to be a friendly thread, i didnt intend for it to have a debate on it.

im 15 years old and im acting more mature than you who im guessing is in their 20s-30s. grow up.

I think people get too hung up on terminology. The way I have been using the terms is like this:
An S shot is a shot that goes right for a while and then turns back and finishes left.
A hyzer flip is a shot that starts on a hyzer angle but because of the amount of snap or speed it flips over to an anhyzer angle. If it then comes back to a hyzer angle further in it's flight path it would be an S shot, if it stays anhyzer it would not. Coming from the other side if you take an overstable disc an start it on an anhyzer angle and it comes back to the anhyzer side then that is an S shot but not a hyzer flip. Thats the wayI look at it anyhow.

BTW I was just playing with the previous post. I wasn't trying to argue with you. But re read your post You told me to go read the article and then tell you a hyzer flip wasn't an S shot, so I did. :D

Last edited: