• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevated Baskets...

Do you like elevated baskets?

• Yes

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 38.3%

• Total voters
For those that don't like elevated baskets, there is the Oompa Loompa basket. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Oompa Loompa basket-Cascade.jpg
    Oompa Loompa basket-Cascade.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 141
Dislikes discrimination against vertically challenged and typically means a layup and dunk if can reach it and not go beyond marker. This is not basketball.

In disc golf you need elevated baskets in my opinion. when you just have the same elevation there isn't really a challenge or variety in most cases take hornets nest hole 9. If that didn't have an elevated basket it would be lame and easy to sink an ace. with that elevated basket not only do you have to aim higher your perception of the basket is disoriented a bit which makes it even tougher and tougher holes are some times what you need.

Hornets Nest is already a tough course, is it that bad that it has one easy hole? Also, when deciding to make a hole harder shouldnt the thought process be "We should design the hole harder" not just "eh raise the basket to free throw level, or have someone stand in front with a broom"

Putting in disc golf is 3 demensional. Why not take advantage of that and move the basket around a bit? I think it's silly that people want the basket to be the same height always.

Putting in disc golf is 3 demensional. Why not take advantage of that and move the basket around a bit? I think it's silly that people want the basket to be the same height always.

Do you think that about all sports or just disc golf? I mean do you think the Lakers should sometimes play on 70' baskets instead of always that boring ten?

Do you think that about all sports or just disc golf? I mean do you think the Lakers should sometimes play on 70' baskets instead of always that boring ten?

No, because all basketball courts are the same. But golf courses and greens are all different. All ball golf holes are on different kinds of slants, which changes the putt. If all baskets were the same height, that'd be like if all greens were completely level in ball golf. Trees near the basket in disc golf do change things up as well, but theres no reason changing the height shouldn't bring us more variety.

Last edited:
No, because all basketball courts are the same. But golf courses and greens are all different. All ball golf holes are on different kinds of slants, which changes the putt. If all baskets were the same height, that'd be like if all greens were completely level in ball golf. Trees near the basket in disc golf do change things up as well, but theres no reason changing the height shouldn't bring us more variety.

Hmm, maybe. We have different greens in Disc golf, seeing as you can place the target on natural elevations such as hills. Im often faced with uphill, downhill, putts. Not to mention often having to change putting stances.

The ball golf equivalent, would be different sized holes, or maybe elevated holes that you have to chip shot into.

Does any sport have a target that isnt uniform? Putt-putt could make an argument, but they just add windmills, even their targets are the same.

Which is more gimmicky? Raising the basket or putting a windmill in front of it?

I don't think its the same as different sized holes, because the baskets are (should be) the same size, they are just placed differently in 3d space. Thats how I think about it anyway. Maybe my opinion will change after I've played a bit longer, and played some courses away from Charlotte.

I love quirky stuff. Don't take something we have over Golf (ball) away from us - I'm talking about creativity here.

I think a 7x variation is way too much to make sense.....and probably hyperbole on your part.

I do think if they raised the rim in basketball to 12' it would make the game more about shooting and passing and less about muscling inside. It would make the game more like the game I play.....below the rim.

This would never happen, but it could work fine to have a 12' rim for the 1st quarter, then 10' for the 2nd, 12' for 3rd, the 10 for 4th.

I think a 7x variation is way too much to make sense.....and probably hyperbole on your part.

I do think if they raised the rim in basketball to 12' it would make the game more about shooting and passing and less about muscling inside. It would make the game more like the game I play.....below the rim.

This would never happen, but it could work fine to have a 12' rim for the 1st quarter, then 10' for the 2nd, 12' for 3rd, the 10 for 4th.

I just threw a number out there, yours is def. a more accurate representation. I am against basketball doing this aswell, but its nice to see someone that carries this opinon across sport lines.

I think when done properly, it's a great thing. Hole 9 at the Nest is great, in my opinion. Others that I like include 14(short) at Rankin, and 14 at Sugaw. I'm not a huge fan of 8 at the Nest or 6(?) at Sugaw. The long pin position for hole 3 at Glenn Hilton in Hickory isn't exactly elevated, but makes for a challenging green.

Found another one at West Lake Park in Grand Junction, CO. Was surprised to find this kind of effort in an otherwise lackluster city park course.

ae07eb02.jpg

Putting in disc golf is 3 dimensional. Why not take advantage of that and move the basket around a bit? I think it's silly that people want the basket to be the same height always.

Well said. Putting is in 3D so placing baskets up or down should be done in the spirit of making a hole interesting, challenging and aesthetically pleasing. (Of course this is just MY humble opinion.. ;)

26527_m.jpg

Well said. Putting is in 3D so placing baskets up or down should be done in the spirit of making a hole interesting, challenging and aesthetically pleasing. (Of course this is just MY humble opinion.. ;)

26527_m.jpg

while this hole does look beautiful, i'm not a fan of the pin location, especially raised. it will often just lead to people throwing it on the pin instead of being able to go for it. this seems boring :(

Latest posts