• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Explanation of the physics of flying discs (FIXED)

Clean form is key to being able to throw US discs FH or BH. I used to have a cleaner FH and could FH almost any disc (I once threw a Champ SW FH dead straight over 250', when I expected it to turn over, and went OB as a result), thus throwing FH with US discs is very possible. I've shaped some crazy lines FH with beat Rocs and Comets, but I need to clean up my FH form again, even though I no longer truly need a FB for FH, its still not what it was and isn't how I would like it.

Yep my dads is smooth and first starts full arm extended then bends at elbow a tad near the body then finishes full extended for his full power forehand. It is a power version of the slight bent elbow as that end part gives the disc some tiny bit extra power/snap but the first bend in is not necessary as one can start bent, yes my dad can throw Archangel and a Beast Forehand. I have also seen my dad throw Beaded and non beaded forehand and can due to how smooth he is in the forehand.

More US, less D. Anything that increases dynamic pressure or air density (low altitude, low temp, faster throw, headwind) makes a disc fly more US and robs it of distance potential via increased drag.

im still confused by this

i experience moar os and less d

or is it suspect to having a noodle arm that is cold and heavily clothed and not as proper foot planting

Yo' Mr. Orgre... Elmex be trollin.

Sorry...still kinda new here. At least I've learned to not to bite on Casey's bait...

Yo' Mr. Orgre... Elmex be trollin.

im not admitting to anything but im not denying anything either

however i tried to google and scour but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for

and ive read tons of mixed results and not sure what to believe

my anecdotal evidence says moar os and shorter or is it user error i would be interested in the science behind it however no one really seems to know which is odd to me

tryna see if anyone has any links

Link to a different thread the physics of DG.

Thought some folks would appreciate this.
Im not a physicist, nor is Pete Ulibari, but I think his discussion makes sense from my knowledge of physics.

Not an in depth mathematical analysis, but he explains the basic concepts simply enough for most of us ist to understand what forces are at work and how they affect disc flight.

It's about how the center of lift moves, from behind the center of gravity (during the high speed portion of the flight), forward through the center of gravity as it slows, until the center of lift is in front of the center of gravity (during the low speed portion of flight).

Last edited: