• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Disc Finals (Distance Driver)

Favorite Distance Driver

• Surge

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Valkyrie

Votes: 36 22.5%
  • Destroyer

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • Wraith

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • Beast

Votes: 22 13.8%

• Total voters
Of the above discs I only currently use the Valkyrie so that was my pick. ;)

I'm glad my vote for the Wraith brought it into a tie for first!

Voted Surge. When all you Wraith lovers get tired of inconsistent Star plastic, the ESP Surge is waiting for you.

Voted Surge. When all you Wraith lovers get tired of inconsistent Star plastic, the ESP Surge is waiting for you.

I really like my ESP Surge and my Star molds. Can you describe what you've experienced that makes you say the Star plastic is "inconsistent"? Just curious.

Yeah this seems to be the only one that doesn't have a clear winner, aside from the Roc/Buzzz poll. Oh, I mean the midrange poll.

I really like my ESP Surge and my Star molds. Can you describe what you've experienced that makes you say the Star plastic is "inconsistent"? Just curious.

I've got a Star SL I bought over two years ago that was hard as a rock and pretty slippery (not grippy at all) from new (plastic). I've also got a buddy's Star Wraith in my bag that was bought recently that I'm trying out while breaking it in for him a little that is softer and grippy. All the Star plastic I've felt in my local pro shop feels different from mold to mold, as well (ESP has always felt the same to me - I have ESP Forces, Surges, Flicks, and Impacts).

Beyond that, I've got two red Champion TeeBirds that I bought on the same day, at the same store. One's an 11X, the other a 12X. The 12X was much domier (starting to change a little after some use - I wish I'd taken pics when they were new because it was really noticeable), as well as being clear. My 11X however is a cloudy red that is definitely not see through (Never had any differences in my Z plastic - In the interest of fairness, the Comet I just sent off in trade has a small white plastic mixed in like a birthmark but 95% of the disc is clear green). They also flew slightly different lines until the 12X beat in a little. They are now interchangeable though.

I've got a Star SL I bought over two years ago that was hard as a rock and pretty slippery (not grippy at all) from new (plastic). I've also got a buddy's Star Wraith in my bag that was bought recently that I'm trying out while breaking it in for him a little that is softer and grippy. All the Star plastic I've felt in my local pro shop feels different from mold to mold, as well (ESP has always felt the same to me - I have ESP Forces, Surges, Flicks, and Impacts).

Beyond that, I've got two red Champion TeeBirds that I bought on the same day, at the same store. One's an 11X, the other a 12X. The 12X was much domier (starting to change a little after some use - I wish I'd taken pics when they were new because it was really noticeable), as well as being clear. My 11X however is a cloudy red that is definitely not see through (Never had any differences in my Z plastic - In the interest of fairness, the Comet I just sent off in trade has a small white plastic mixed in like a birthmark but 95% of the disc is clear green). They also flew slightly different lines until the 12X beat in a little. They are now interchangeable though.

Interesting. I have one Star Beast that's a little grippier than my other Star molds but I didn't think much of it since I bought them at different times and UV wreaks havoc where I live. Plus the Beast is the only dark blue disc I have. I have replaced a Star Wraith with a lost one and it seems more over stable than the last one. I'll keep an eye on it over time and see if I see more of what you've observed.

I'd love to tour the Innova and Discraft manufacturing facilities and see what they each do for consistencies of source plastic, production controls and quality controls.

Last edited:
This is purely speculation, but from what I've read in threads here Discraft controls their cooling process so every disc they create is the exact same, regardless of their season of production. Innova does not, so their discs can be different based on what season they were produced, the level of humidity in the air, etc.

Good luck getting a tour at either place. I hear their manufacturing floor is protected like Ft. Knox! Hahahaha.

Latest posts