• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Favorite Putters

I've fiddled with Aviar P&As, Voodoos, Soles, and Anodes (and toyed briefly with a couple others.

I use Wizards. I could use big bead Aviars just as easily -- one beaded mold for all throwing and putting is what matters to me.

First off, when I am talking about putters here, I am talking about discs that I use within the circle. I love to try different discs for fun, I know that isn't really a good thing, but that's what I do. Anyway, my general preferences are for very stiff plastic putters. They can have a bead or not, the disc just can't have a sharp edge on the bottom that will drag on my fingers when I release them. I use various putters for practice but I almost always bag the KC-Pro Aviar for game play, I just seem to have the most confidence with that disc. Probably my runner up putters would be either the Dagger in zero hard plastic or the Gateway Voo-doo in medium plastic. Experimenting with different putters is a sickness for me!:eek:

Here's what I'd still consider using:
-McPro Aviar (It's currently in the bag but I'm not sure I want to buy more when these get too beat up, simply due to cost. I like the stiff feel and the beadlessness, and it glides well with some wind resistance.)

Why not try Warlocks? Seems to be the perfect replacement for McPros and easily replaceable.

Have you tried the Jawbreaker Challengers yet? Plastic is just firm enough for me (I prefer the firm plastics), so you might like it for your Challenger

I might go try one, but I haven't been buying much plastic recently. I got a ZFLX a while back and didn't like the feel. Too much dome. Do the Jawbreakers tend to be flatter?

Why not try Warlocks? Seems to be the perfect replacement for McPros and easily replaceable.

When I need to replace my current stash, I'll give them a shot. I have a mixed feeling about beads on putters. Sometimes beadless seems perfect, and other times I feel it makes my release inconsistent. That's when Wizards go back in the bag for a bit.

I might go try one, but I haven't been buying much plastic recently. I got a ZFLX a while back and didn't like the feel. Too much dome. Do the Jawbreakers tend to be flatter?

My Jawbreaker Challengers are flat on top.

BTW, I came across a Photon Glow Crazy Tuff Challenger in the store that is very stiff plastic and is slick like Pro/P-Line plastic. Reminds me a lot of a Discmania P-Line P2. Haven't had a chance to throw it much yet.

Wizard > Ridge > Ion > Mercy > Ion > P2

I've logged the most years putting with Ion's, and have quite the stack of them. But last summer I tried out the P2 in D-line, and never went back to my beloved Ion's. I've since switched to P-line, but see myself putting with P2's for many many years.

Aviar P&A -> KC Aviar -> P2

These are the putters that actually stuck in my bag. I've tried other putters for short periods of time. Nothing stuck in my bag for long at all. I putted with KC Aviars longer than any other mold. I recently switched to P-Line P2s. I like how they have more glide than KCs & a little less fade. They're great for long putts. They still have enough stability that I trust them in the wind. I miss the bead of the KC. Making more putts (especially long ones) makes that a nonissue.

I think the only ones I have bagged consistently was the dx aviar back in the day. And now the ion.

I dont mind most putters. I just found that the ion is the medium between the floaty aviar/chally types and the wizard brick types.

Here's what I'd still consider using:
-McPro Aviar (It's currently in the bag but I'm not sure I want to buy more when these get too beat up, simply due to cost. I like the stiff feel and the beadlessness, and it glides well with some wind resistance.)

On the Innova Pro Shop site, they're $13.99, same as a KC Pro. Don't go to eBay, people jack up the prices to $30 a disc just because they can. When they first came out or when they release a new stamp they'll sell out in a few hours but right now there are about 150 in stock in the pro shop.

I've used KC Pro Aviars, Yetis and Wizards primarily through the years and have now fully switched over to Black Zombie Chainsawz.

Im still confused. If individuals were blinded, would they notice a disc has a bead, just by gripping it in a putter grip? Or would it just be about profile height? How does this "bead" phenomenon have so many people strongly prefer or not prefer the bead?

Im still confused. If individuals were blinded, would they notice a disc has a bead, just by gripping it in a putter grip? Or would it just be about profile height? How does this "bead" phenomenon have so many people strongly prefer or not prefer the bead?

Yeah, absolutely I could tell. I put my index finger on the rim, and find a bead to be uncomfortable. I don't care really if I'm throwing a beaded disc, but putting is a different ball game.

Do an experiment and put out a KC aviar, and an Aviar p&a on a table then blindfold yourself and see if you can tell the difference in your putting grip. I'd bet you can tell immediately.

I'll add my progression as well.

Aviar p&a > swan 1 > aviar p&a > wizard > omega ap > classic aviar.

I don't see myself putting with anything but a classic aviar for a long, long time. It's the right shape, feels good, right stiffness, right grippiness for most weather, pretty much dead straight. All around the perfect putter IMO

Challenger, focus, aviar, voodoo, wizards, P1x, and now using marshals.

Also experiment with who knows how many others but those are what I remember sticking. I like the micro bead on the marshal and reminds me a bit like a challenger in its stability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 putter (upshot? I can't remember)
Then it was the birdie
Bullet xd (it lasted me like a decade almost, tough ass leathery monster)
Tried some replacement xds but they aren't bullet-esque or cheap so gave up
Champ aviars (current)
Gstar rhyno (current)
I'll throw a nice beadless dx av in when I need to.

Yeah, absolutely I could tell. I put my index finger on the rim, and find a bead to be uncomfortable. I don't care really if I'm throwing a beaded disc, but putting is a different ball game.

Do an experiment and put out a KC aviar, and an Aviar p&a on a table then blindfold yourself and see if you can tell the difference in your putting grip. I'd bet you can tell immediately.

Ions and atom..

My grip is forefinger not touching the bead, but my middle finger is. I really cannot tell a difference. I suppose its possible if your grip is different than mine..

Aviar
Rhyno
Ion
Wizard
Aviar

I think k maybe I putted with a proxy for three weeks in between ions and wizards.

This is all over a 15 year period, so most of these had many year runs. This year I've gone back to the aviar. The no bead and extra glide really fits my putting style but I'm not throwing my wizards out just in case.

The aviar3 is also in the bag and I'll putt with that for some situations.

I really like the feel of beaded putters. But I would usually get one or two putts where the bead felt like it caught in my finger and resulted in an air ball.

I'd notice if blindfolded, but that's not what is important. It's the throw that's important.

I could throw either beaded or beadless, but for me the beadless Warden beat out the beaded Judge. And it felt a little bit better, too. Since then, I've practiced and played with the Warden almost all the time. Recently I took a Classic Judge to the course, and found that the bead was impeding my throw and causing me to push the disc to the right (and miss). I put the Warden back in the bag, and putting returned to normal (didn't miss as much).

It was not the bead itself that was the issue, nor the feel of the discs in my hand, but the fact that by now I'm so used to beadless discs, and the Warden in particular, that going to a beaded disc would require a LOT of practice to get the beaded disc working well for me.