• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Favorite Putters

I'd notice if blindfolded, but that's not what is important. It's the throw that's important.

I could throw either beaded or beadless, but for me the beadless Warden beat out the beaded Judge. And it felt a little bit better, too. Since then, I've practiced and played with the Warden almost all the time. Recently I took a Classic Judge to the course, and found that the bead was impeding my throw and causing me to push the disc to the right (and miss). I put the Warden back in the bag, and putting returned to normal (didn't miss as much).

It was not the bead itself that was the issue, nor the feel of the discs in my hand, but the fact that by now I'm so used to beadless discs, and the Warden in particular, that going to a beaded disc would require a LOT of practice to get the beaded disc working well for me.

So is it physically how "big" the bead is at the bottom where the touch point is probably mm more than non beaded? Or is it psychological?

And what grip are you using?

I've tried *lots* of other putters at one time or another but the only ones I've used for more than a day or two:
DX Aviar -> Opto Pure -> Electron Anode

The Anode doesn't seem to bounce around too much, doesn't glide too much, and wants to go where my mind thinks it should go.

I've tried *lots* of other putters at one time or another but the only ones I've used for more than a day or two:
DX Aviar -> Opto Pure -> Electron Anode

The Anode doesn't seem to bounce around too much, doesn't glide too much, and wants to go where my mind thinks it should go.
Plasma anode my favorite driving putter. I've thrown some nastyyyy annys with it.

Whew man, this won't be pretty.

Noob Era: DX Aviar that was beadless, can't remember if it was P&A or classic, it had a grid stamp. Thought it felt too deep but I didn't know WTF I was doing at the time. > Champ Aero > Roc > SSS Warlock > Soft Banger GT

Figuring it out Phase: SS Magic for awhile > SS Voodoo > then I got really into pitch putting and thus Magic > APX > and then Summits for a long time

The Spush Era: Ion > Anode > Atom > Shaman > Roach

Modern Era Less glide and a Wizard/Voodoo profile has settled into what I seem to like and lately I've done Macanas, Serpent, and finally the Plutonium. I really like all three of these but the Pu seems to combine the glideless point and shoot of the Serpent with the Voodoo-like profile that my hand approves of. Hard to beat the base-line plastic of the Faction (and Gateway) too.

Those are just the ones I serious auditioned for putting only that I can remember. I've changed styles so often I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

For throwing I used to just use whatever I was putting with at the time. The Ion was the best all-round putter for that. I finally settled into a DX Polecat for finesse and a P-line Breaker for power but the Ion comes along for tourneys and unknown courses.

So is it physically how "big" the bead is at the bottom where the touch point is probably mm more than non beaded? Or is it psychological?

And what grip are you using?

It's more getting used to the Warden, muscle memory, comfort level. Not really psychology. And if I took Judges out and practiced and got used to them, I'd probably be fine with them. But Wardens are awesome, so I stick with them for now.

My grip is what I call the Sarah Hokum grip because I saw her doing this and I copied it. It's like a fan grip, but the ring and pinky fingers are towards the rim and not fully splayed out.

Aviar (long time, as a noob) -> Wizard -> PA3 (quite a while) -> Wizard -> Judge (last couple seasons. I like them, maybe wouldn't mind a little more OS bite though, now with a little more spin in the putts) [-> Baseline Envy (in the future.....)]

Last edited:
Magnet (2003) -> Blunt Gumbputt (2003-2005) -> Wizard (2005-2015) -> Ridge (2015) -> Wizard (2015-present)

Warden--->Wizards---> McPro Aviar--->Classic Aviar--->Dagger---> Classic aviar again---> Kc Aviar---> McPro aviar.

Have you tried a Marshal? It's a tad more OS than the Judge and Warden.

I have not. From what I know it's only in blend, but I prefer classic (stiffer). Thanks for the suggestion though! I really am holding out on a baseline envy (i would drop a pretty dime on a stack immediately). I have a decent stack of classic judges I can ride out.

I have not. From what I know it's only in blend, but I prefer classic (stiffer). Thanks for the suggestion though! I really am holding out on a baseline envy (i would drop a pretty dime on a stack immediately). I have a decent stack of classic judges I can ride out.

I prefer Classic also. Maybe they'll bring out the Marshal in Classic plastic. If they do, give it a shot. At worst, you can use it as a throwing putter for upshots like someone unknown player named 'Paige Pierce'. :)

I can definitely feel a difference from beaded and not beaded, my pointer finger wraps right on the edge, but I can't say I'm really for or against them. If I putter I like has a bead cool, if not cool. As long as it putts pure I'm ok. Settled on marshals cause it's right in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnet->Challenger->Big Horn

I kinda want to try the Jawbreaker Challenger and I may go back.

Aviar PnA > Shaman > Fuzion Judge

Good ole DX Aviar PnA for a few years. Then lots of experiments. Then Shaman for a few years. Then a few more experiments. And recently fell in love with Fuzion (DyeMax) Judges for both throwing and putting - hope the love affair continues. I didn't like beaded putters when I first started out... went away from them altogether... but tried them again and now they feel just right. Also, it's totally a feel/mental thing, but Fuzion/Star-like plastic in the hand just gives me more confidence. I now have around 15 Shaman's sitting around unused... I should probably look at moving them.

Baseline Envy? The Atom doesn't fit that role?

Haven't thrown one, but since they have different names and flight characteristics, I don't think so. I still want the stability of the envy, not just the feel.

Buzzz GT (I thought it was a Banger GT) > Aviar > Pure > Gauntlet

The "Banger GT" never seemed to work terribly well, for reasons that are now obvious. The Aviar was an improvement, but I didn't really like the feel of it and decided I needed a lower profile putter. Advice from this forum directed me to the Pure, which felt much better. I got a Gauntlet kinda by accident, and for some reason it feels okay to me even though it's a smidge taller than the Aviar. The Gauntlet's extra glide fixed the problem I had with leaving putts short. I still bag the Pure as my main upshot disc, and recently added a Polecat.

Aviar P&A > ProD Banger > Gateway SS Magic > Gateway Wizard > Magic SS > Magic SSS > Prime Marshal > Blend Marshal

Loved the magics up until the trilogy challenge last year, the Marshal feels just as good in the hand but is a touch more stable and all around an amazing disc. Easily my favorite disc I've ever thrown.