• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Understable Mid

I use a ESP Buzzz SS for the shot you mentioned. It turns up from hyzer, past flat, then flies somewhere in the 250'-280' range for me when thrown low and hard all without ever getting more than 5'-10' off the ground. What I like about it over some of the others mentioned here is that it holds the turn without a big fade out at the end.

For Hyzer-flips and turnovers I use a 180g DX Shark. For gentle annys I use a star Coyote.

I I used to throw meteors which is a very good disc for turnovers, but I got a TP Tursas and fell in love, it kicked the meteors out of the bag, a ton more glide and I found it to be more reliable.

Fuse. Assuming heavier weight and new:
Opto will be pretty much dead straight, will beat into what you described
GL / Recyced: for me, exactly what you described out of the box (I max about 400' with drivers - 380 golf D)

I'm with Stevo.
steve-o-pic.jpg

The understable discs I'm working with are:
Tursas, M4, Comet, Tangent, and Summit (firm)

Each one can be hyzerflipped easily and do what you are looking for, but the Tangent and Summit work best for me for whatever reason (plastic, weight, form, who knows). The Tangent with only a slight anhyzer release will hyzerflip and consistently glides up to about 275 feet before it gently sits down slightly to the right of midline. Dial it in and put some power into your throw and it lands dead straight. The Summit will do the same thing with an anhyzer release except it only consistently glides about 200 feet and can land even further to the right if desired. The Summit also hyzerflips with significant anhyzer release. It's very forgiving and pretty fun.

I normally throw a GL Fuse for my understable mid. I used to throw X Comets a lot and I might go back to them. I tried out a Cryztal Meteor for a while(before I lost it) and I feel like I had to put a lot more on it to get it to flip. For now I'm stuck between the Comet and Fuse for my understable slot.

OK...this is a thread I can jump "right" into to:

You have a whole bunch of understable mids you can use but for me there are only three I would really put in my bag: (I have two in my

1) Ontario Roc: start out dead nuts straight and then when seasoned they become that straight roc that starts to turn to the right and comes back left ever so gently. Once really seasoned you will never need another turnover or long anny mid for a long time. These come in DX and now in Star plastics.

2) Ontario and San Marino Cobras: These are both great discs and a work horse mid for those who know how to utulize their unique and amazing flights. The Ontario Cobra is the more stable version of the two but when worn in is a great hyzer flip machine. The SM Cobra is the real understable of the two. Right out of the box it is very understable and needs to be thrown with a hyzer. If thrown properly you can get these out to the 330' range. These come in DX, Champ, Glow, Proline and CE plastics.

3) Stingray: These are amazing multi-purpose utility discs. The were the first drivers used by most PDGA players in the 80's. They are great for straight and gradual right turning shots. They can also be thrown with a huge anny and follow that line all the way until it crashes into the ground. You can snap these with a hyzer, have it flip flat and go dead nuts straight and then gently turn to the right before slowing down and gently coming back left. These come in DX, Champ, CE plastics. I'm not sure if they made a Star Stingray yet. That might be pretty cool though.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of seasoning a tourney Warship I hope will fill this shot eventually, but for now I use a GL fuse. It's got all the turn you need and the 'touch' feel you'd get from a seasoned comet, and it feels great in the hand.

My first and only ace was with a 168g GL Fuse, and it's had a few close calls right of the teepad since. If I need a shot.to the right of my lie at midrange length, I'm reaching for the Fuse.

Latest posts