• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Firbird or Flick

Correction

If you go with max weight the Flick is going to be much more overstable than a Firebird. If you're looking for Discraft that's a little closer to a Firebird, look into a Predator. The lip isn't as inviting on the Predator as the Firebird, as far as feel goes, but it's super predictable.

Flick is speed stable, not true overstable. At higher speeds and in heavy winds it will flip and not come back.

Are we talking about normal weights or the 150 class. I would love to see someone flip a normal weight and have it not come back, and if they could, would like to see what happens if they gave a Firebird the same power.

I know on the Discraft video, where they are just throwing for distance and talking about how they do it, the guy at the end that they say is the furthest, they at least make it appear that he is throwing a Predator, and I think he says thats what he is throwing, and it looks like he hyzer flips it. So, anything is possible.

Are we talking about normal weights or the 150 class. I would love to see someone flip a normal weight and have it not come back, and if they could, would like to see what happens if they gave a Firebird the same power.

I know on the Discraft video, where they are just throwing for distance and talking about how they do it, the guy at the end that they say is the furthest, they at least make it appear that he is throwing a Predator, and I think he says thats what he is throwing, and it looks like he hyzer flips it. So, anything is possible.

Either, it's the mold not the weight. There was a guy around here who could throw 450' and used flicks as his main drivers. He would flip them up from a slight hyzer and they would do a nice easy S for him. The flick loses a lot of its stability when thrown farther than 400'.

If that's really what your looking for..Pass them both up and get a Lat64 XXX

No joke, Real Deal Holyfield.

I agree with this. Also, remember, the current run of 12x Firebirds do not live up to the Firebird that experienced golfers have known for the past 10 years (if they did, this thread wouldn't exist). I notice this causing a lot of confusion and argument on dg boards. Prior to the 12x, the Firebird was an absolute overstable pig, much more overstable than the Flick no matter what your armspeed is. Every run was flat and had a positive HSS. These domey 12x are a whole different animal, flying more like Eagles than what a Firebird should be. This must be why people think the Flick is more overstable. BTW, I tried some domey Flicks and they flew with a little high speed turn even at 360'. So...If you throw less than 350', the current Flick is probably a better utility overstable disc than a Firebird. If you throw more than that, take the advice of the OP and get a XXX. The XXX has a flat wing whether it has a dome or not, so they all fly super overstable like Firebirds used to.

I'd pick the Firebird over the Flick, but I'd pick a Predator, Spirit or XXX over a Firebird.

The speed thing with the Flick probably won't be an issue, but you have to consider if you're OK with probably, or if you'd rather have definitely. I used "speed overstable" discs for a little while and I'm pretty sure I lost them all.

I like the Firebird. I haven't thrown a flick but, based on what I'm reading, I have a Monster for that.

Another thing to consider, the Flick has about as shallow a rim as you will find. If you have thicker fingers, it takes some adjusting to get used to it--at least on FH throws. As many have already mentioned, there are a lot of offerings in the overstable realm. Your best bet is to see if you can try out a number of different molds until you find one that works best for you.

I carried a flick for a while and it was the most overstable disc I have thrown. I love Discraft but this is a disc that I did not find that useful, as said before the lip is very shallow, I found it inconsistent on forehands and just not very useful for BH. The only throw it seemed to work well for was a thumber. I carry predators now. this is not as overstable even though they are rated the same by discraft. A predator is much more versatile then the flick. As for the firebird, the new ones are noticebly different than the older models. I found the older ones to be a great, but as the new ones have changed some I have found predators to be much more consistent.

never thrown the XXX but might have to give it a try from what I am hearing.

Flick is speed stable, not true overstable. At higher speeds and in heavy winds it will flip and not come back.

In my experience this is only true of the 150 Flicks or beat domier z versions (owned both). The 150's fly more like a Pro Boss and will flip practically brand new. Seasoned z Flicks with the domier flight plates will ride straight for some time before falling off hard. My current Flick of 2 years has a VERY flat top and is ridiculously overstable through its whole flight. It's got absolutely no glide at all. I use it for severe falling FHs and deep straight FH rollers. Because of the small lip and severe stability I can't really even use it for FH flex shots- it instantly levels out and starts falling hard. It makes the old Firebirds and Max I used to throw seem like TBirds....By far the most overstable disc I've ever thrown...

The flick is a speed stable mold, no matter the weight. You just can't the heavier ones up to speed.

It's not really up for debate or anything, that is just a fact. Most people here can't get the flick up to speed so it doesn't matter but it is important to know if you are throwing it into a strong headwind and expect it to always come back.