• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Force vs XCaliber

Stable

* Ace Member *
I recently took out my Destroyers because I was getting too much overlap between it and my Wraiths. I've been trying to decide between the Force and the XCaliber because I want something more overstable with more fade/skip than a Destroyer. What are the differences between the Force and the XCaliber? I'm sure this thread has come up before but give me some fresh opinions anyway.

I have thrown Xcals for years now and they all seem to handle wind differently. I have older stars that start to have trouble in about 20mph winds, but I also have a new star that is more stable than a nuke OS on steroids. If you can get a pancake flat top champ, you're fine. I liked the pancake flat ones for forehand flex shots. Still beefy, but workable. I have also thrown a force and I can say they are more consistent. Lower weight ESP forces (167ish) with a bit of dome glide for days and still give you that dump at the end. So really, not a huge difference, I guess you'll just have to see which one you prefer.

I have thrown Xcals for years now and they all seem to handle wind differently. I have older stars that start to have trouble in about 20mph winds, but I also have a new star that is more stable than a nuke OS on steroids. If you can get a pancake flat top champ, you're fine. I liked the pancake flat ones for forehand flex shots. Still beefy, but workable. I have also thrown a force and I can say they are more consistent. Lower weight ESP forces (167ish) with a bit of dome glide for days and still give you that dump at the end. So really, not a huge difference, I guess you'll just have to see which one you prefer.

I've read somewhere that the XCal has been changed 4 times since it's release. Is it that inconsistent? :\ I'm really only going to use it for one shot. The hyzer FH that I want to carry and bite hard with a good skip.

I've read somewhere that the XCal has been changed 4 times since it's release. Is it that inconsistent? :\ I'm really only going to use it for one shot. The hyzer FH that I want to carry and bite hard with a good skip.

Only looking for innova or DC? Not trying to turn this into a company battle but the Enforcer seems to be getting pretty good reviews and would fit the bill for what you are looking for. The X1 from Prodify is also patterned after a run of mega OS D1's (that I throw for this shot). But from my limited experience, the Excal in champ is a good call here.

Only looking for innova or DC? Not trying to turn this into a company battle but the Enforcer seems to be getting pretty good reviews and would fit the bill for what you are looking for. The X1 from Prodify is also patterned after a run of mega OS D1's (that I throw for this shot). But from my limited experience, the Excal in champ is a good call here.

I prefer Discraft/Innova. I'm open to US brands. I've also considered the PD2 since they are made in Cali and I have a Discmania Grip.

The FH hyzer shot with a large skip is actually what the Xcal does really well. At least my champion one skipped really well as long as it isn't crashing in at 90 degrees. Have you ever tried the firebird for this shot? Its what I use now just to minimize molds and it will hold that line and skip for sure.

The FH hyzer shot with a large skip is actually what the Xcal does really well. At least my champion one skipped really well as long as it isn't crashing in at 90 degrees. Have you ever tried the firebird for this shot? Its what I use now just to minimize molds and it will hold that line and skip for sure.

Been using a flat champ Firebird for several years. Mixed feelings about it. Needing a high speed OS skipper.

Force>xcal, by a lot

How so? Details would help my decision. From what I've read about the XCal being re-molded several times I'm leaning towards Z-Force just so I can count on getting the same disc whenever I get a new one.

In my experience a Force is only slightly more overstable than a Destroyer when new. If you want more stability that the Destroyer then I would think an Xcal would be a better choice than a Force. Or maybe a NukeOS if you want Discraft.

In my experience a Force is only slightly more overstable than a Destroyer when new. If you want more stability that the Destroyer then I would think an Xcal would be a better choice than a Force. Or maybe a NukeOS if you want Discraft.

Thanks for the comparison. :thmbup: I wonder if the Nuke OS might be so OS that I won't be able to control it or get the distance I need. I really liked how it felt with my FH grip when I held one at PIAS. Force sounds like the leading candidate so far.

I used to throw Xcals they were my favorite OS driver but like people have said they are inconsistent, and had a hard time finding ones I liked. So I started throwing forces, I really liked them and was throwing them for 2 years or so but I tried a PD2 after watching my brother crush his on some nasty flick lines and it would always hold then come out. Trust me it's the disc you are looking for! It has a bit more overstability then both force and Xcal. Distance potential is best with the force, but the PD2 is consistently going to hold that overstable flight even as they beat in, where as my forces just got straighter or a lot of turn before some fade. IMO the PD2 is the best and most consistent overstable driver on the market.

I used to throw Xcals they were my favorite OS driver but like people have said they are inconsistent, and had a hard time finding ones I liked. So I started throwing forces, I really liked them and was throwing them for 2 years or so but I tried a PD2 after watching my brother crush his on some nasty flick lines and it would always hold then come out. Trust me it's the disc you are looking for! It has a bit more overstability then both force and Xcal. Distance potential is best with the force, but the PD2 is consistently going to hold that overstable flight even as they beat in, where as my forces just got straighter or a lot of turn before some fade. IMO the PD2 is the best and most consistent overstable driver on the market.

I have considered that disc too. I got a Discmania Grip bag a few weeks ago and thought it would be cool to have at least one DM disc in there. That is a possibility. Thanks KidClutch!

In my opinion, the Force is the disc for you. They are very consistent (much more so than the Xcal), and become versatile flyers as they beat in (a slow and gradual process, unlike the Star Xcals I have been familiar with).

If you want some glide and more distance with a lot of fade, I would suggest an ESP Force. If you just want something you can rip on and always have it fade out, find a flat Z Force (which is very easy to find). My personal favorite is a nice, domey Z Force, but they aren't too easy to find. I would not suggest using any of the other plastics for your purposes. The base plastics are nice, but beat in fairly quickly, and most Ti Forces are glideless meathooks in my experience.

I bag an star Xcal and a PD2. The PD2 is definitely quite a bit more over stable. Rhfh I can occasionally turn over the Xcal, which is pretty beat in. Never have come anywhere close to turning over the PD2 pure beef!

My two cents are in for the PD2. Best overstable distance driver in that speed class through its lifespan. S-line is nice and beefy and breaks in to be like an OS destro in a few years.

I can only speak for the Xcal, but I have 2 proto stamped echo star ones that are great. one Is flatter and a little worked in on flies kinda like a destroyer, the other is super pop topped and basically brand new. It has a ton of glide and is super over stable with great skips.

I've only thrown a handful of Xcal's, but i think the Force is a more consistent and workable OS driver. I've seen some Xcals that i can't push past 200 because they're so overstable. A new flat Z Force sounds like what you're looking for. Nice and overstable but still has enough neutral stability to hold lines and not just fade immediately... but there will be a lot of fade when it slows down.

I've only thrown a handful of Xcal's, but i think the Force is a more consistent and workable OS driver. I've seen some Xcals that i can't push past 200 because they're so overstable. A new flat Z Force sounds like what you're looking for. Nice and overstable but still has enough neutral stability to hold lines and not just fade immediately... but there will be a lot of fade when it slows down.

Thanks for the response Archon21. The Force seems to be what I am looking for. I like that you used the phrase "workable OS driver". Some of the other suggestions like the PD2 and the Nuke OS are probably too OS for me.

Get a C-line PD2. No matter what run you get, they're beefy. I've got one with microbubbles in the rim, and it eats universes its so overstable. AND its still technically Innova. Its just the best OS distance driver they make.

I just read your last post. If you're looking for workable, go with the Force all day everyday.