• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Found a new love...150g Star Teebird

Isn't 150 gram in any disc basically cheating? I mean come on those are for juniors and beginners. Not trying to bust anyone's nuts because I've never thrown a 150 gram disc but to me seems a little cheap. In a tournament or PDGA event can you throw 150 gram disc if your not a junior? I understand just bull-crapping around on the course but to me that also seems to hurt you because your not really advancing yourself as far as skill goes.

Isn't 150 gram in any disc basically cheating? I mean come on those are for juniors and beginners. Not trying to bust anyone's nuts because I've never thrown a 150 gram disc but to me seems a little cheap. In a tournament or PDGA event can you throw 150 gram disc if your not a junior? I understand just bull-crapping around on the course but to me that also seems to hurt you because your not really advancing yourself as far as skill goes.

I am not sure if you are trolling or not. 150 discs are neither cheating nor are they just for juniors. The current distance world record is held by a 150g DX Valkyrie. 150-class discs have much higher distance potential than max-weight stuff, but the downside is that they are harder to control and do not handle as well in the wind. They are also much worse at disguising form flaws and non-optimal releases, so many people tend to throw more forgiving (heavier) discs.

Also, the PDGA has a weight range for legality for all approved discs and most (if not all) include numbers all the way down below 150 grams. I hope that this helped clear up some of your misconceptions, unless you are trolling in which case, go eat a brick.

u r joking right? if not u r misinformed or uneducated/stupid.

I know this thread is old (499 days by the disclaimer's count), but I have this question: How does the 150 Star Teebird hold up to the wind? I would love something that can get me a little easier distance but still holds up well...

How much wind are we talking about here? My 150 Star TB will get pushed around by winds over 15-20ish, but my 156 11x Champ TB fights through them like a, well...champ. I love how well they compliment each other, especially now that my Star is beat enough to get some high speed turn.

I say tra a 150 champ Leo too. Another game changer and as deadly a combo as their heavy weight brethren. 150 star teebird/Leo combo is just plain nasty!

Agree. Have a 150 Glo Leopard in the bag...pretty money.

I haven't ever thrown anything this light. Am I going to have trouble going back and forth between a 150 g and, say, something in the low 160s?

No. I have 3 150ish discs in my bag, the rest are 160-175, no issues going back and forth, provided you are smooth with the light ones.

Did you even read what you wrote?

"Hey, I admit to having zero experience with what I am talking about, but I am still going to be condescending and talk out of my ass and spread false information."

Good job, gold star for you.

After liking the two Blizzard Wraiths I got, I've been throwing nothing but light drivers. Currently the heaviest in my bag is a 162 Champ TeeBird, that I love. It's plenty stable, very little high speed turn, good fade. I also have a 150's Avenger, 150 Valk, and just yesterday I got a 151-154 Flick.

right now I carry a 150 Teebird, Eagle and Banshee. The Leopard I had flipped way to much for anything useful, but I try and carry a heavier version of all of these for wind. It has added a good amount of distance for me which is really nice.

The current distance world record is held by a 150g DX Valkyrie.

Correction: The current world distance record is held by a 168 gram Valkyrie.

Since the Blizzard discs were released many more people have discovered the joy of throwing of 150 class discs.

If you already throw 400 feet, please move along. Nothing to see here.

Huh??

Hope that was sarcasm that didn't translate well online. That is so idiotic I feel a little guilty for giving you a thumbs up on a review now. Might have to find a way to pull it back.

After liking the two Blizzard Wraiths I got, I've been throwing nothing but light drivers. Currently the heaviest in my bag is a 162 Champ TeeBird, that I love. It's plenty stable, very little high speed turn, good fade. I also have a 150's Avenger, 150 Valk, and just yesterday I got a 151-154 Flick.

I just got a 150 champ valk a couple of weeks ago and holy crap do I love that thing. I barely throw it and it goes dead nuts straight for 275 ft. Great for tight shots in the woods. If I hyzer flip it downwind it easily flies 50-75 ft farther than any other disc I've thrown. When there's a headwind/crosswind, I break out the 171 champ valk and it just goes and goes.

I remember reading Innova's description of the valk when it was pretty new in one of their old flight charts...

Valkyrie has a combination of speed, flight characteristic and glide such that heavier weights fly extremely long upwind and lighter weights get
extreme range downwind. Available Weights 150 to 175 grams

In my experience so far this has proven to be true. Of course, that's coming from a player who maxes out at around 350'... :)

Well call me a junior then! 150s, yeah I got teased when I started throwing them, and wouldnt you know it, lots of people carrying 150s now on my home course. Blizzard brought the attention back to lighter discs, and for that I thank innova. If more people would remove their heads from their .... They would see 150 class is legit.

When I first started playing, I showed a local club guy what I was throwing. A couple were 150s from the Innova Starter Set, which he derided as "for ladies." Sadly, I listened.

Now, I am all for doing what I can to get more distance, even if it means throwing lighter stuff. I think it may be time to can the machismo in this sport and just throw what works for you without judgement.

It seems interesting to me, too, that no one judges for throwing light Blizzard stuff...maybe because it is all high speed, so that excuses it? If you ask me, I don't care what speed or weight a disc is. If it flies for you, it flies for you.

All my drivers are low 160's and there's maybe one other local guy who is the same way. Most people throw heavy stuff and consider 170g as a light disc. Part of it might be that local shops do not carry lighter discs

yes 150 star is stiffer that champ in my experience. Never liked champ in 150 too gummy. Not all 150 champ is like that though. but in general yes.

In my bag:

150 Star Teebird
161 EStar Teebird
167 Champ Teebird

Comment from card mate at last tournament after a drive: "Nice. That must be one of those new Blizzard discs."
Me: "Nah. Light Teebird."

As stated above, 'smooth is far.'

Will these ligher disks throw well sidearm as well? I'm fairly new to the sport and I was struggling for distance forearm and so I tryed sidearm and was getting much more distance. Likely because I always threw sidearm as a kid so it felt more natural. But I can only make 350 max and I'm having to throw 170+ disks really hard with hyzer. So after 3 days of playing 36 holes my arm is shot for a week or so. If I don't hyzer flip the discs love to turn hard to the right. I'd love to be able to throw straight lol.

I've tryed some 160ish disks and they seem to turn over on me if i try to put a lot on it. If I don't they fly decently straight but not nearly as far. Is the extra glide with 150 the key or is it likely just bad form?

Plus is it worth spending the time to learn to shoot forearm well?

PS are forearm and backhand terms interchangeable? I'm trying to learn the language lol.

yes having a forearm is useful. You should be developing backhand too. I would say your forearm is fine for now, switch to backhand it will tremendously help your game, but keep in touch with forearm its a valuable asset. 150s are no harder than 170s to forearm. you have to be uber smooth flicking a 150. Sidearm throws may be more likely to have oat. Oat will show greatly in 150s. But you can control it either backhand or forehand, a 150 class disc has to be thrown properly much more so than a heavier disc.

Yep, I have way too much OAT throwing forehand, so the 150s may be a good teaching tool to help you smooth it out.

I am going to order one of these bad boys tonight, provided everyone in this thread hasn't made a run on them today!

I scored an older style "Twelve Time", cloudy, gummy-ish, flat, 150, Champ TeeBird today. The 12x 162 Champ that I have is my current favorite driver, can't wait to try this one out, should be the bee's knees!

I also recently discovered the 150 Teebird. I now have 2 156 KC Pros and a 150 star in my bag. I would say the star has a touch less glide and the plastic is a scosche less grippy, but they are nearly interchangeable. I also am a late arrival on the light driver bandwagon, but I am glad I discovered them.

Latest posts