• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glaring omission in the top 10

Yo, i've been on this site for years now!!! The top 5 never really change but the bottom 5 changes all the time... that just makes me happy tho.. cause that just lets me know there is some serious golf out there...

Yo, i've been on this site for years now!!! The top 5 never really change but the bottom 5 changes all the time... that just makes me happy tho.. cause that just lets me know there is some serious golf out there...

I think Beaver Ranch was number 4 when you joined

Just wait until Selah 1 and 2 get 20 reviews. Maple Hill won't have a shot. Don't forget about Magic Meadows and the planned expansions if they resolve their issues. You MA tossers care too much!

If/when I play Selah again I'll write up reviews. When I played it it wasn't really open yet and still rough around the edges in some spots, though I'd still given it a 5.

I think the top 10 is based on how much a course is played by DGCR members, the IDGC for example hardly gets played by members therefore skewing its results. The WR Jackson Memorial course should also be in the top 10 imo.

For example this year the IDGC courses have only been reviewed TWICE, once in February and once in July.

Last edited:
Selah is another example of this

Selah will make it in time when it gets the minimum amount of reviews. It is located about 2 hours from Dallas/Fort Worth so it should get lots DGCR members playing and reviewing it.

Our top ten system doesn't really work. Beaver Ranch, I could agree that it is a 5 star course, or 4.75. But it is no way one of the 10 best in the world. It is not even close to the #4 spot it had when I played it.

I also think it is fair that a course is worse off if it doesn't have active DGCR members or easy access. Would the worlds best course really be the best course if it was located in the Bermuda Triangle and only Amelia Earhart had played it.

Selah will make it in time when it gets the minimum amount of reviews. It is located about 2 hours from Dallas/Fort Worth so it should get lots DGCR members playing and reviewing it.

Our top ten system doesn't really work. Beaver Ranch, I could agree that it is a 5 star course, or 4.75. But it is no way one of the 10 best in the world. It is not even close to the #4 spot it had when I played it.

I also think it is fair that a course is worse off if it doesn't have active DGCR members or easy access. Would the worlds best course really be the best course if it was located in the Bermuda Triangle and only Amelia Earhart had played it.

giles,

I don't usually disagree with fellow members here but I'm a little confused by your post.

You state our top ten system doesn't really work and how Beaver Ranch (currently # 11) is possibly a 5 star course BUT there's no way it's one of the 10 best in the world. BUT you haven't played ANY of the current top ten courses.

It's very, very difficult to compare courses when you haven't actually played them. Since almost none of us, with the exception of Martin D maybe, have played all of them, I guess we'll all have to live (and disagree) with the current system.

I played Beaver Ranch this summer and I happen to believe it easily fits in the top 10. And I've played three of the other top 10. But this is only in my most humble opinion and like the rest of the 34,000 members here on DGCR,

I only have one vote!

giles,

I don't usually disagree with fellow members here but I'm a little confused by your post.

You state our top ten system doesn't really work and how Beaver Ranch (currently # 11) is possibly a 5 star course BUT there's no way it's one of the 10 best in the world. BUT you haven't played ANY of the current top ten courses.

It's very, very difficult to compare courses when you haven't actually played them. Since almost none of us, with the exception of Martin D maybe, have played all of them, I guess we'll all have to live (and disagree) with the current system.

I played Beaver Ranch this summer and I happen to believe it easily fits in the top 10. And I've played three of the other top 10. But this is only in my most humble opinion and like the rest of the 34,000 members here on DGCR,

I only have one vote!

Please disagree, I only post things like this to see what others think of my opinion.

You have a valid point, I have not played any of the current top ten. I have played what are, or were at one time, the highest rated courses in Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, Arizona and New Mexico. If I search 4.0-5.0 rated courses in TX with 5+ reviews is get 21 resuls (including extinct) and I've played 16 of them. I'm lucky enough to have played a number of Houck Designed courses. I've played desert to ski slope. I have not played Carolina woods golf but I've played in the woods.
I do need to play it again and if I do, I hope a harder layout.
Beaver Ranch is disc golfs pretty face with no brains. Not one tee shot did I have to make choices about what shot to throw. Never once did I think about laying up to a clear area to give me a better look at an upshot. None of the tee shots really asked a lot from me. Coming up short just left a longer putt. The design just isn't up to todays standard. Undeniably beautiful land though.

I think the top 10 is based on how much a course is played by DGCR members, the IDGC for example hardly gets played by members therefore skewing its results. The WR Jackson Memorial course should also be in the top 10 imo.
332 people here have played WR Jackson. 25 people have reviewed it. It is eligible for the Top 10 list. You presently need at least 20 reviews and an average rating of 4.65 to make the list. At 4.36 WR Jackson barely makes the Top 40.

1. Flip City Disc Golf Park - Shelby, MI - [Reviews: 164 - Rating: 4.85]
  2. Idlewild - Burlington, KY [Reviews: 125 - Rating: 4.78]
  3. Blue Ribbon Pines DGC East Bethel, MN [Reviews: 71 - Rating: 4.75]
  4. Highbridge Hills - Granite Ridge- Highbridge, WI [Reviews: 23 - Rating: 4.72]
  5. Phantom Falls - Pine, CO [Reviews: 121 - Rating: 4.70]
  6. Highbridge Hills - Blueberry Hill - Highbridge, WI 18 [Reviews: 44 - Rating: 4.70]
  7. Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge - North Plains, OR [Reviews: 29 - Rating: 4.69]
  8. Deer Lakes Park- Tarentum, PA [Reviews: 50 - Rating: 4.68]
  9. Tyler State Park - Newtown, PA [Reviews: 82 - Rating: 4.66]
  10. Maple Hill DGC - Leicester, MA [Reviews: 53 - Rating: 4.65]
  11. Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park Conifer, CO [Reviews: 124 - Rating: 4.64]
  12. Holler In The Hills - Brownsville, KY [Reviews: 59 - Rating: 4.61]
  13. Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC) - Estacada, OR [Reviews: 50 - Rating: 4.59]
  14. Moraine State Park - Portersville, PA [Reviews: 48 - Rating: 4.59]
  15. Winter Park - Kewaunee, WI [Reviews: 36 - Rating: 4.58]
  16. Sugaree - Linville, NC [Reviews: 25 - Rating: 4.56]
  17. Colorado Mountain College, Glenwood - Glenwood Springs, CO [Reviews: 22 - Rating: 4.55]
  18. Whistler's Bend - Roseburg, OR [Reviews: 45 - Rating: 4.52]
  19. Ashe County Park - Jefferson, NC [Reviews: 42 - Rating: 4.52]
  20. Sky High DGC - Wrightwood, CA [Reviews: 29 - Rating: 4.52]
  21. Foundation Park DG Complex - Champ 18 - Centralia, IL [Reviews: 34 - Rating: 4.50]
  22. Coyote Point DGC @ Lake Casitas - Ventura, CA [Reviews: 39 - Rating: 4.50]
  23. Brakewell Steel / Warwick Town Park - Warwick, NY [Reviews: 40 - Rating: 4.50]
  24. Water Works Park - Kansas City, MO [Reviews: 65 - Rating: 4.48]
  25. Bud Hill - Original - Millington, TN [Reviews: 29 - Rating: 4.47]
  26. Wildcat Bluff - Urbana, IA [Reviews: 26 - Rating: 4.46]
  27. Lincoln Ridge Park - Independence, KY [Reviews: 80 - Rating: 4.46]
  28. Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort - Vadito, NM [Reviews: 21 - Rating: 4.45]
  29. The Woodshed - Paw Paw, WV [Reviews: 20 - Rating: 4.45]
  30. Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek - Austin, TX [Reviews: 56 - Rating: 4.43]
  31. Jordan Creek - Whitehall, PA - [Reviews: 45 - Rating: 4.43]
  32. Camp Sankanac DGC - Spring City, PA - [Reviews: 23 - Rating: 4.41]
  33. Pickard Park - Indianola, IA - [Reviews: 23 - Rating: 4.41]
  34. Bryant Lake Park - Minneapolis (Eden Prairie), MN - [Reviews: 63 - Rating: 4.40]
  35. DeLaveaga Park - Santa Cruz, CA - [Reviews: 61 - Rating: 4.39]
  36. Stafford Lake County Park- Novato, CA - [Reviews: 54 - Rating: 4.37]
  37. Pier Park - Portland, OR - [Reviews: 61 - Rating: 4.37]
  38. WR Jackson Memorial DGC - Appling, GA [Reviews: 25 - Rating: 4.36]
  39. Harry Myers DGC - Rockwall, TX [Reviews: 48 - Rating: 4.36]
  40. New Quarter Park - Williamsburg, VA [Reviews: 41 - Rating: 4.35]

For example this year the IDGC courses have only been reviewed TWICE, once in February and once in July.
That has nothing to do with its rating.

Selah is another example of this
No, it isn't. Those courses only have been around about a year and both have gotten at least sixteen reviews in that time. You need twenty to get on the list. Once they have their magic twentieth reviews, they will take the top two spots (well, unless some sourpuss reviews them poorly because he lost a bunch of discs in the water).

There are 4000+ courses in the U.S. alone listed on here now. That means that the 40 courses listed above are the top 1%. I doubt 99% of the folks here even have five of those played. I can only account for six. I'm not going to make any braggadocious statement that those six are better than the other 34, or other highly rated courses that don't have 20 reviews yet.

This site wasn't developed to create a top 10, it just happened that we have a top 10. What makes a course a top 10 is subjective. (not talking about Beaver Ranch specifically, I know it has new tees and great signage now) but a course with poor tee pads, signage, access shouldn't be our best of the best. A course design that has no multiple shot holes (par 4 or 5) no real risk vs reward. No notable design elements or really unique features in play.

I love to see a top 10 favorite courses list. Everyone makes a list of their favorite course in order of favorite on down(including extinct or unlisted). How often and how high a course places would determine its rank. Your (valk kid) top course would carry more weight than mine as you have more exemplary courses on your list.

Please disagree, I only post things like this to see what others think of my opinion.

You have a valid point, I have not played any of the current top ten. I have played what are, or were at one time, the highest rated courses in Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, Arizona and New Mexico. If I search 4.0-5.0 rated courses in TX with 5+ reviews is get 21 resuls (including extinct) and I've played 16 of them. I'm lucky enough to have played a number of Houck Designed courses. I've played desert to ski slope. I have not played Carolina woods golf but I've played in the woods.
I do need to play it again and if I do, I hope a harder layout.
Beaver Ranch is disc golfs pretty face with no brains. Not one tee shot did I have to make choices about what shot to throw. Never once did I think about laying up to a clear area to give me a better look at an upshot. None of the tee shots really asked a lot from me. Coming up short just left a longer putt. The design just isn't up to todays standard. Undeniably beautiful land though.

Your point about Beaver Ranch being a pretty face with no brains is probably exactly why I liked that course so much. As a 60 year old recreational course bagger, I was able to enjoy my round there. It's not like I shot minus 10 (I think I was + 2) but the course didn't totally beat my brains in, both physically and mentally like....

Blue Ribbon Pines, Minnesota
Hornings Hideout Championship Course
The Woodshed at Paw Paw, West Virginia
WR Jackson in Georgia

I think the current trend in top 10 courses designing courses that are longer and more difficult than before. Make them physically demanding. Give players more difficult choices off the tee. I understand that disc golfers are throwing 500' drives, are more athletic and want to be challenged by these more demanding courses.

Personally, I love a course that will challenge anyone with dramatic elevation as well as beautiful scenery such as:

Beaver Ranch, CO
Milo McIver, Oregon
Whistlers, Bend
Deleavegea, Santa Cruz
Coyote Point @ Lake Casitas, CA
Stafford Lake, CA

These courses would be top 10 in my list.

As a 60 year old recreational course bagger, I was able to enjoy my round there. It's not like I shot minus 10 (I think I was + 2) but the course didn't totally beat my brains in, both physically and mentally like....

Blue Ribbon Pines, Minnesota
Hornings Hideout Championship Course
The Woodshed at Paw Paw, West Virginia
WR Jackson in Georgia

I think the current trend in top 10 courses designing courses that are longer and more difficult than before.

Personally, I love a course that will challenge anyone with dramatic elevation as well as beautiful scenery such as:

Beaver Ranch, CO
Milo McIver, Oregon
Whistlers, Bend
Deleavegea, Santa Cruz
Coyote Point @ Lake Casitas, CA
Stafford Lake, CA

These courses would be top 10 in my list.

I am older as well (48) and even though I love really tough courses I wouldn't choose to play them daily. I never feel beat up by Blue Ribbon but I rarely have time to play a round there. Fun, blue level, 18 hole courses appeal more to me generally even if I am traveling. Somehow I think the days of sticking a rec course in anywhere and calling it a go or putting an epic 27 that takes 4-5 hours on public land are quickly passing. We are learning that most people are better served by a well designed Advanced level course that has gold tees or pins available. It would be nice to have a typical time per round listed in the course overview.

Man, that was sort of a ramble.

Has anybody played Conifer/BR in the long pin positions? I did last week and IMO it was way harder than BRP which I have played 5+ times. I think your experience at C/BR varies by which layout you play. If you don't think at that course the elevation and slopes can really mess you up. I also think that B/CR is usually in the short positions. My reasoning for that is that I usually crush the average score on a course (not bragging!) and I think I shot right on there.

Somehow I think the days of sticking a rec course in anywhere and calling it a go or putting an epic 27 that takes 4-5 hours on public land are quickly passing.
I don't. The former type are still going into the ground in scads. You just don't hear about them.

We are learning that most people are better served by a well designed Advanced level course that has gold tees or pins available.
From what exactly are we learning this?

It would be nice to have a typical time per round listed in the course overview.
It would also be useless info as not everyone plays at the same pace, or plays with others vs. playing alone.

Time/round would be good info for a review, more so if it is not to be expected. Bethany Lakes course is 9 holes and around 3,000'. You would think it is a 40 minute play. You are doing good to finish it under 90 min with two people and how long it takes can depend heavily on if you try to get your discs back out of the water or just leave them and play on.

I wish we had a "cart friendly" spot on the course overview. or a cart friendly rating.