• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glaring omission in the top 10

332 people here have played WR Jackson. 25 people have reviewed it. It is eligible for the Top 10 list. You presently need at least 20 reviews and an average rating of 4.65 to make the list. At 4.36 WR Jackson barely makes the Top 40.

1. Flip City Disc Golf Park - Shelby, MI - [Reviews: 164 - Rating: 4.85]
  2. Idlewild - Burlington, KY [Reviews: 125 - Rating: 4.78]
  3. Blue Ribbon Pines DGC East Bethel, MN [Reviews: 71 - Rating: 4.75]
  4. Highbridge Hills - Granite Ridge- Highbridge, WI [Reviews: 23 - Rating: 4.72]
  5. Phantom Falls - Pine, CO [Reviews: 121 - Rating: 4.70]
  6. Highbridge Hills - Blueberry Hill - Highbridge, WI 18 [Reviews: 44 - Rating: 4.70]
  7. Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge - North Plains, OR [Reviews: 29 - Rating: 4.69]
  8. Deer Lakes Park- Tarentum, PA [Reviews: 50 - Rating: 4.68]
  9. Tyler State Park - Newtown, PA [Reviews: 82 - Rating: 4.66]
  10. Maple Hill DGC - Leicester, MA [Reviews: 53 - Rating: 4.65]
  11. Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park Conifer, CO [Reviews: 124 - Rating: 4.64]
  12. Holler In The Hills - Brownsville, KY [Reviews: 59 - Rating: 4.61]
  13. Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC) - Estacada, OR [Reviews: 50 - Rating: 4.59]
  14. Moraine State Park - Portersville, PA [Reviews: 48 - Rating: 4.59]
  15. Winter Park - Kewaunee, WI [Reviews: 36 - Rating: 4.58]
  16. Sugaree - Linville, NC [Reviews: 25 - Rating: 4.56]
  17. Colorado Mountain College, Glenwood - Glenwood Springs, CO [Reviews: 22 - Rating: 4.55]
  18. Whistler's Bend - Roseburg, OR [Reviews: 45 - Rating: 4.52]
  19. Ashe County Park - Jefferson, NC [Reviews: 42 - Rating: 4.52]
  20. Sky High DGC - Wrightwood, CA [Reviews: 29 - Rating: 4.52]
  21. Foundation Park DG Complex - Champ 18 - Centralia, IL [Reviews: 34 - Rating: 4.50]
  22. Coyote Point DGC @ Lake Casitas - Ventura, CA [Reviews: 39 - Rating: 4.50]
  23. Brakewell Steel / Warwick Town Park - Warwick, NY [Reviews: 40 - Rating: 4.50]
  24. Water Works Park - Kansas City, MO [Reviews: 65 - Rating: 4.48]
  25. Bud Hill - Original - Millington, TN [Reviews: 29 - Rating: 4.47]
  26. Wildcat Bluff - Urbana, IA [Reviews: 26 - Rating: 4.46]
  27. Lincoln Ridge Park - Independence, KY [Reviews: 80 - Rating: 4.46]
  28. Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort - Vadito, NM [Reviews: 21 - Rating: 4.45]
  29. The Woodshed - Paw Paw, WV [Reviews: 20 - Rating: 4.45]
  30. Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek - Austin, TX [Reviews: 56 - Rating: 4.43]
  31. Jordan Creek - Whitehall, PA - [Reviews: 45 - Rating: 4.43]
  32. Camp Sankanac DGC - Spring City, PA - [Reviews: 23 - Rating: 4.41]
  33. Pickard Park - Indianola, IA - [Reviews: 23 - Rating: 4.41]
  34. Bryant Lake Park - Minneapolis (Eden Prairie), MN - [Reviews: 63 - Rating: 4.40]
  35. DeLaveaga Park - Santa Cruz, CA - [Reviews: 61 - Rating: 4.39]
  36. Stafford Lake County Park- Novato, CA - [Reviews: 54 - Rating: 4.37]
  37. Pier Park - Portland, OR - [Reviews: 61 - Rating: 4.37]
  38. WR Jackson Memorial DGC - Appling, GA [Reviews: 25 - Rating: 4.36]
  39. Harry Myers DGC - Rockwall, TX [Reviews: 48 - Rating: 4.36]
  40. New Quarter Park - Williamsburg, VA [Reviews: 41 - Rating: 4.35]

That has nothing to do with its rating.

No, it isn't. Those courses only have been around about a year and both have gotten at least sixteen reviews in that time. You need twenty to get on the list. Once they have their magic twentieth reviews, they will take the top two spots (well, unless some sourpuss reviews them poorly because he lost a bunch of discs in the water).

There are 4000+ courses in the U.S. alone listed on here now. That means that the 40 courses listed above are the top 1%. I doubt 99% of the folks here even have five of those played. I can only account for six. I'm not going to make any braggadocious statement that those six are better than the other 34, or other highly rated courses that don't have 20 reviews yet.

Maybe I didnt make my point clear enough, as woods courses develop they get tremendously better. With courses that were reviewed heavily (if you can call 25 reviews in 6 years heavily) in their inception but not reviewed recently is not a good representation of the course. basically I believe we are in the same boat as highbridge as our courses just don't get played and reviewed as frequently as courses in or around major metro areas/disc golf rich areas.

I guess what it really comes down to is does it really matter if the course is in the top ten on this website and how subjective is the list.

I'd say the top 10 doesn't matter. I'd say anything rated 4.5 and up with 20+ reviews should be considered elite. It comes out to 23 courses.

From what exactly are we learning this?

It would also be useless info as not everyone plays at the same pace, or plays with others vs. playing alone.

In areas I have played where there are plenty of courses of all types the ones that get hammered with people aren't the gold level courses. Most good players love them, but most of the rounds are still played at quality Blue level courses. I'm not talking about rec rounds.

At good courses your pace isn't usually dictated by your speed of play unless you play really slow.

this thread is BS. the best course hands down is Flyboy. so the rest of these courses can get bent.

/Thread

Flyboy is not my personal favorite; though it is, of course, "up there." These threads always come down to the "it's subjective to each reviewer"....

I'd be willing to bet that in the next 5 years we have a near complete turnover of top courses. With courses like Selah pushing the envelope and other courses that are just in the conception stage.

I think Highbridge Gold just needs two more good reviews to qualify for the top 10 with 20 reviews.

BOP would be lacking for one of the same reasons Flyboy is lacking; and that is you can't play it when you want to....there are restrictions involved.

I've played four top ten courses, and ill be honest, its impossible to pick from the four on which one is better, also bud hill would be hard to pick from the four I've played as well... I say if its in the top 40 you arin for ait great experience

Flyboy would make about #3

You know this is both a plus and a minus for me. I just realized that I'm allways going to be looking for something to top BOP, and it just might not be there... Well except the unlisted courses that I play up in the mountains. ;)

Sorry I didn't get to take you up to them when you were here Martin, but damn back injurys have keept me from being able to golf for the last 3 months.:(

Next time, I'll probably spend most of my resources in the foreseeable future traveling to new areas, but Humboldt is high on my list of places I'd like to return and spend some time.

Next time, I'll probably spend most of my resources in the foreseeable future traveling to new areas, but Humboldt is high on my list of places I'd like to return and spend some time.

On the plus side of that, there are still lots of courses here that you still haven't goten to play. At least if you only played the listed courses around here.

Of the top 10 I've played...
Flip
Blueberry
Granite
Phantom
Conifer
(and of course Winter Park #15)

And they all stack up differently amongst one another.

In terms of total round experience, I don't think I'll ever stop talking about Phantom Falls.

In terms of beauty I am a northwoods lover and don't think even the Colorado courses stand up (with their pines and rocky/granite soils) to the Highbridge courses.

As a Blue level player I honestly think Blueberry is the best course on the list with amazing variety and gorgeous setting.

I love all the variety, challenge, and different topographical things Winter Park offers and still use it as a benchmark for my course design / land use rating system.

Flip is fine. It's a decent course, the fact that it has 24 holes makes it rank a bit higher in my system because it has more opportunity to present variety, but I know for a fact I will never travel back there for a long disc golf weekend if the other option is Highbridge. One and done is good for me.

To me, without a doubt, the property makes the course. You simply cannot do much with an established city park. Private, remote, and rugged courses yield some extreme disc golf that I love. I don't care if the terrain is trecherous or the shot has a 90% chance of rolling away off the green even if you thread the trees through a 300' long 10' wide gap off the tee - that is EXACTLY what makes me fall in love with a course. I do not care a single bit about how well I score, play, or hold up in a competition. I want to be amazed at a course and I want the opportunity to throw across terrain that I always dream of as I travel this wonderful landscape we call the US. When these properties are utilized for disc golf, then throwing some variety of topography, elements of OB/water/elevation, and great (borderline sadistic) risk/reward design just throws the course over the top for me.

I'd be willing to bet that in the next 5 years we have a near complete turnover of top courses. With courses like Selah pushing the envelope and other courses that are just in the conception stage.

Do you ever see Flip City falling out of the top 5? I've never played it so I can't weight in myself, but the pics on this site don't convey the legendary status it holds.

Latest posts