• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

glow disc golf

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
I was just looking at my Z glo flx challenger, and I was wondering something. I played a glow tourney last year with a guy that used little LED lights, that were just a bulb and wires. He had a couple small flat batteries and taped the bulbs to them. I was wondering if you can buy the UV bulbs this way, and tape them to a glow disc. It would make the discs glow all night rather than just a few minutes. Thoughts?

I'm not sure why you'd tape small LED UV lights to your glow discs. If you're going to do that just use these:
$(KGrHqEOKjcE31vVndmnBN97mwdz+w~~_35.JPG

If you don't want to do the option shown above, here's what I've done

• Pack of LEDs for pretty cheap at Radio Shack
  • CR2032 batteries from a dollar store (3 packs for $1 at Dollar Tree, I think - Brock, ask Jeff Worley, he's the one who knew which store it was - it is near Boone)
  • Electrical tape to tape the LEDs onto the battery - I cut the LED wires down (keeping the differing lengths) to make sure they aren't longer than the battery
  • Clear duct tape to tape the whole thing on the disc
When storing, keep the batteries separate so they don't discharge their power. I keep the electrical tape on them to make sure.

I think I bought enough to make more than 20 lights for about ten dollars

I bag some glow discs in my everyday bag (Champ Teebird, Glo Buzzz, Champ Wraith, Glo Stalker, Champ Destroyer, Champ Firebird), so when Glow Season comes around I'm usually set. I did use glow duct tape on my putters though. Really the only way to go.

When I first started with glow I used 1" glow sticks for fishing from Wal-Mart. Bright, but they die after 6-8 hours. $1 for 5. I went to flat lights last year. Loved them however in retrospect they don't shine well when the disc lands upside down. And when the battery dies you throw away a good light. About 12 hours use. But they do work on lighter star/esp/fusion plastic and are pretty bright from the top. $0.86 each when ordered in bulk at Extremeglow.com. This year I switched to red led in bulk and CR2025 flat batteries. Super bright, taping them shines the light on edge of disc so you get about 2"+ of a lit edge. You can see equally well from top or bottom. This set up is the best light show for glow. When battery dies throw it away and LED is still good. Only downer is that you must remove each time you play to save battery life. $6 for 100 LEDS, $5 for 10 batteries both on eBay free shipping. And in a pinch I use the glow duct tape. Crazy bright, lasting glow much better than glow discs, perfect for your favorite putters or for loaning to friends. $6? At Walmart. Happy throwing.

Darren

I always carry glo rocs and a glo firebird.

Pretty much all I need for an impromptu glow round.

I was wondering if you can buy the UV bulbs this way, and tape them to a glow disc. It would make the discs glow all night rather than just a few minutes. Thoughts?

Yes it can be done, but too little amount of power to make any more than the tiny spot where the bulb is glow.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you can buy the UV bulbs this way, and tape them to a glow disc. It would make the discs glow all night rather than just a few minutes. Thoughts?

Tried this. No success. The UV lights require more power than the white or color LEDs. You would have to rig something to use at least 2 CR2025 batteries for each disc. My original thought in buying the UV LEDs was to rig up a UV emitter on my cart via push button. That way I could just light up my disc and throw. However after 3 years of glow rounds I am convinced not to buy glow discs because they glow. The glow of the tape lasts 3X+ as long, and is much brighter. with that being said though half of the discs in my bag are glow discs. just sayin.....

darren

Last edited:
I use the flight lights pictured on page 1. Most people seem to use 1 per disc. I use 2 per disc to distribute the weight evenly & outshine any glow disc or tape out there. They are less than 3 grams each. I start with a light 150-165 disc to bring the weight up to about 170 with 2 lights.

The only way to go in my opinion as way brighter than any other option. Watch my vapor trail!

Dyanamic Discs, Disc Nation, eBay, etc... :thmbup:

I also use the above lights and love them. I taped them on to my glow discs as the winter got really cold last year and the glow charge does not last as long below 32 deg F. When it is warm I can just use their normal glow properties, but if there is a full moon I will turn on the LED's as they are easier to spot. I put them on back in November and so far have only had to replace one of them in the 5-6 months I used them, and I played at least once a week (Glow League) if not more.

Would also add these LED's work great on Champion plastic too. And the dayglo colors like fluorescent orange and green discs also stick out like a sore thumb when you shine a UV flashlight on them.

I've got the NiteIze disc light you permanently attach. I have a red one attached to my MVP Proton Volt and MVP Proton Axis. As for my putter, I have a smaller red light I tape to the underside of the disc which doesn't distract as much when putting. The red light is great because it doesn't screw with other people's night vision as bad as white light.

Latest posts