• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Paige Pierce peaked?

I think she was on R1 feature card at USDGC last year.

Yeah, but she hadn't peaked then. ;)

Just kidding. I didn't remember that, and don't remember how she did. Heck, all I remember about USDGC last year is that Sexton won....

Even though it's not needed for her game, can Paige get to 500' with Paige's form? She seems to be throwing a lot farther this year than last.

Disclaimer is that I have never seen her play in person. But from the last few tourneys I have watch footage of her from, it seems like she has 450' or so of golf distance. Meaning 450' with good accuracy on several lines. I don't doubt that a less stable disc thrown on the typical hyzer flip high and hope it holds and pans out type of shot she could hit 500', but I've never seen her try a shot as uncontrolled as that.

Check out 24:10 on this video, I bet this is 450ish on what I would consider a pretty consistent golf line...of course if anyone knows that course personally they'd have a better idea of exactly how far it is. It's a -1/2 type flight where the disc is pushing pretty straight, it's definitely not a turnover and pray shot, and it's very accurate. She has to have confidence to do this in a must execute situation, with water and OB all over.

Edit: Does anyone know if this is a Bio Defender or a Sheriff or what?

["YOUTUBE]_o1OS-xoRIs[/YOUTUBE]"

Paige can throw over 500' with some accuracy. I mean she parked hole 7 (the first hole at the W.A.C.O. with a putter, and that hole is flat and 291'.

This hole was downhill a bit, but still. Legit to get inside of 25'.

you're crazy man. Paige would barely be competitive in MA1.

And you're crazy man. She's a 978-rated player.

Last edited:
Looks like she will be playing far less tournaments in 2018. . Nothing between Waco and GBO, thats quite a long break this early in the season.
I think Paige played 28 tournaments in 2017, but is only signed up for around half that in 2018

Disclaimer is that I have never seen her play in person. But from the last few tourneys I have watch footage of her from, it seems like she has 450' or so of golf distance. Meaning 450' with good accuracy on several lines. I don't doubt that a less stable disc thrown on the typical hyzer flip high and hope it holds and pans out type of shot she could hit 500', but I've never seen her try a shot as uncontrolled as that.

Check out 24:10 on this video, I bet this is 450ish on what I would consider a pretty consistent golf line...of course if anyone knows that course personally they'd have a better idea of exactly how far it is. It's a -1/2 type flight where the disc is pushing pretty straight, it's definitely not a turnover and pray shot, and it's very accurate. She has to have confidence to do this in a must execute situation, with water and OB all over.

Edit: Does anyone know if this is a Bio Defender or a Sheriff or what?

I know, right?!? I watched this last night and the same thoughts were going through my mind: "No way, are you kidding me?!?; thats got to be 450 on a controlled accurate line, how far could she throw?!"

Over water, high pressure situation. Right after letting lead get away after taking an 8. What a cool moment.

She's got that killer instinct mentality.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how far it is or the disc, just equally impressed.

Looks like she will be playing far less tournaments in 2018. . Nothing between Waco and GBO, thats quite a long break this early in the season.
I think Paige played 28 tournaments in 2017, but is only signed up for around half that in 2018

I wonder if her role at DD is paying $$$ for her, perhaps doing more media obligations (disc signing, clinics, videos, etc, etc) can bring in as much money without all the travel/play/etc obligations? Just a guess...

Rebecca seriously needs to sort out her backhand form though. She has mean snap but in the long run that may do some damage.

Yes way to much shoulder action and no power from hips. Hampered by her head movement (looking at the target from start to finish iirc)

Most female players also reachback way to late and compensate by pushing the disc backwards too fast.
instead of "leaving" it at the same place. Which is far more effective.

Yep. She's peaked.

Just kidding. But she had a bad start to the Las Vegas Open. It looked like some of her discs did not fly as she expected them to, or she was making incorrect choices on the discs she threw. For example, she'd throw a shot straight, only to watch the disc hyzer out and go OB left.

Yeah, Las Vegas hasn't been a real good start so far, but she's gonna bounce back. She had a really busy off-season, maybe too busy? Just don't count her out.

She just got off to a rocky start, the weather and not having a warm up event probably hurt her. The competition is better than it was for her 3 years ago, but she is still probably the most overall skilled FPO player. There are just a lot more that are close.

Yeah, Las Vegas hasn't been a real good start so far, but she's gonna bounce back. She had a really busy off-season, maybe too busy? Just don't count her out.

agreed anthon had busy off seasons and hes right back to competing with the best in the biz

FPO has gotten deeper in a hurry. Paige B is a solid, smart, consistent young golfer who will continue to get better. Jen Allen is improving, finding a little more control with her distance. Catrina Allen seems to be regaining her mental game that has been missing the past two seasons. Cat is probably the 2nd best all around FPO golfer behind Paige Pierce. Jessica Weese has been great in the early part of the season and has appeared to have broken through to the next level. Evalina Salonen is actually playing some US events this year, and she's legit. Sarah Hokon keeps doing her Hokom thing and has taken a ton of the unnecessary lift off of her putt. More women out on your than ever, the field is growing, the women are improving.

Paige Pierce can no longer bring her B game for most of the tournament and have one or two good rounds and expect to win FPO. At least one other player is going to put together a good tournament with the increasing depth in FPO. This is the most parody FPO has had in a long time, maybe ever.

That little putter flick to the head she does seems a bit extraneous to me. Easy to criticize when she's missing a bunch, but I really can't see how that helps.

That little putter flick to the head she does seems a bit extraneous to me. Easy to criticize when she's missing a bunch, but I really can't see how that helps.
It's all part of her routine. All great putters have a consistent routine. This is why I am not a good putter. Or at least part of the reason.

Yep. She's peaked.

Just kidding. But she had a bad start to the Las Vegas Open. It looked like some of her discs did not fly as she expected them to, or she was making incorrect choices on the discs she threw. For example, she'd throw a shot straight, only to watch the disc hyzer out and go OB left.

It was much colder than anyone probably expected and they were playing in snow. As someone who lives in a cold environment and has played in snow, I will say it can be tough to get a decent rhythm going when you're cold. You don't even really feel like you're gripping the disc properly. Bad drives are very easy to come by in those conditions. Everything feels like it wants to stall and hyzer out prematurely.

Hardly a problem. Paige was easily outdriving the other women. She'll be fine. Playing in austere conditions can affect anyone. I agree she had a bad start.

Latest posts