• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Hope you guys have a great trip! if it is raining in morning, either Standing Rocks or Sandy Point have enough forest cover that you shouldnt get soaked. If i had my choice i'd pick Sandy Point over any other course up north, it really is Disc Golf Heaven!!

Ended up playing Winnebago County, Standing Rocks, Brandy Lake, and Sandy Point, besides the HBH courses. Nice darn weekend, especially with the weather holding out, for the most part.

We got ran off of Gold (hole 8, of course) on Sunday morning by a 500lb black bear...other than that, perfect weekend!

We got ran off of Gold (hole 8, of course) on Sunday morning by a 500lb black bear...other than that, perfect weekend!

That's awesome! Did you get pictures? I like how they track all the bear sightings (pictures, a dates, locations) at the hilltop clubhouse.

Unfortunately, I left my phone at the campsite during that round. It was pretty cool (after the initial shock wore off) seeing that bear just off the perfectly mowed fairway (Gold was the only well-mowed course).

Suffice to say, I won't forget it, but it would have been cool to get pictures. It took us a while to work up the nerve to go down and actually get our discs! A funny add-on to it, is just two minutes before that we were marveling at the group of 3 deer about 1000' down the fairway.

I'd be somewhere between fascinated and scared ****less if I saw a bear on the course (proabably depend on ho far away the bear was when I saw it). But even if it was from a distance, probably make me quit the round, because I'd be wondering where it/it's buddies are every hole after that, especially on wooded courses where you have limited lines of sight.

It's not the buddies to be worried about.....its the cubs. If you get between a mamma bear and her cub good things don't result.

I do not know about black bears (especially with cubs), but in Yellowstone the rangers were telling us that if you have 3 or more people in a group, there has never been a Grizzly attack. They presume the bears see it as the same danger to them as a pack of wolves (who can overpower a bear). I thought that was interesting and comforting as I took my family for some nice hikes.....we stuck together and made sure to make noise as we went along.

We didn't finish our round. Apparently, there is a den somewhere around hole 12. I'm just glad we saw it at the END of our weekend...I doubt we would have wanted to venture into the woods (where we spend plenty of time, I assure you) knowing there were large bears nearby.

The bear was about 400-500 ft from us. Still close enough to make us want to find trees that would be climbable in the case of said bear's attitude towards us changing.

We did make plenty of noise when we finally got the courage up to go get our drives, though. The worst part of it was that Gold was mowed so well, and everything looked so great (especially on that hole!), that we were super bummed to not be able to/want to finish the course.

Black bears really are not that dangerous (other than if you come between them and their cub):

http://usparks.about.com/od/backcountry/a/Bear-Safety.htm

Backcountry and Trail Precautions
  • Don't surprise bears. If you're hiking, make your presence known. Make noise by talking loudly, singing, or wearing a bell.
  • If you can, travel with a group. Groups are noisier and easier for bears to detect.
  • Keep in mind that bears tend to be more active at dawn and dusk so plan your hikes accordingly.
  • Stay on marked trails and obey the regulations of the area you're hiking/camping in.
  • If you're hiking in bear country, keep an eye out for tracks, scat, digs, and trees that bears have rubbed.
  • Leave your dog at home!

If You Encounter a Bear…
  • Remain calm and avoid sudden movements.
  • Give the bear plenty of room, allowing it to continue its activities undisturbed. If it changes its behavior, you're too close so back away.
  • If you see a bear but the bear doesn't see you, detour quickly and quietly.
  • If a bear spots you, try to get its attention while it is still farther away. You want it to know you're human so talk in a normal voice and waive your arms.
  • Remember that a standing bear is not always a sign of aggression. Many times, bears will stand to get a better view.
  • Throw something onto the ground (like your camera) if the bear pursues you, as it may be distracted by this and allow you to escape.
  • Never feed or throw food to a bear.
If a Bear Charges…
  • Remember that many bears charge as a bluff. They may run, then veer off or stop abruptly. Stand your ground until the bear stops, then slowly back away.
  • Never run from a bear! They will chase you and bears can run faster than 30 mph.
  • Don't run towards or climb a tree. Black bears and some grizzlies can climb trees, and many bear will be provoked to chase you if they see you climbing.
  • If you have pepper spray, be sure that you have trained with it before using it during an attack.

If a Black Bear Attacks…
  • Be loud, waive your arms, and stand your ground.
  • Fight back! Be aggressive and use any object you have.
  • Only if you are sure the bear attacking is a mother who is protecting its cubs, play dead.
  • If you have pepper spray, use it. Begin spraying when it's within 40 ft so it runs into the fog. Aim for the face.

Gold was mowed and great, easily the best looking and playing course on the property. Granite Ridge was OK. Blueberry was OK, or a tick below. Woodland was ok until around hole 7, then it was a hay field. We spent a LOT of time looking for discs (fairway or not) on Woodland. The Bear wasn't open, and Chestnut was good.

I think the rain held off most of the week, so hopefully John was able to get out and mow some more this week. We stopped at Sandy Point on the way home, and the woman working the pro shop (name escapes me) said a LOT of people have been complaining about the conditions at HBH this year...she actually said she was going to call John and give him a gentle nudge in the right direction.

Black bears really are not that dangerous (other than if you come between them and their cub):

http://usparks.about.com/od/backcountry/a/Bear-Safety.htm

Backcountry and Trail Precautions
  • Don't surprise bears. If you're hiking, make your presence known. Make noise by talking loudly, singing, or wearing a bell.
  • If you can, travel with a group. Groups are noisier and easier for bears to detect.
  • Keep in mind that bears tend to be more active at dawn and dusk so plan your hikes accordingly.
  • Stay on marked trails and obey the regulations of the area you're hiking/camping in.
  • If you're hiking in bear country, keep an eye out for tracks, scat, digs, and trees that bears have rubbed.
  • Leave your dog at home!

If You Encounter a Bear…
  • Remain calm and avoid sudden movements.
  • Give the bear plenty of room, allowing it to continue its activities undisturbed. If it changes its behavior, you're too close so back away.
  • If you see a bear but the bear doesn't see you, detour quickly and quietly.
  • If a bear spots you, try to get its attention while it is still farther away. You want it to know you're human so talk in a normal voice and waive your arms.
  • Remember that a standing bear is not always a sign of aggression. Many times, bears will stand to get a better view.
  • Throw something onto the ground (like your camera) if the bear pursues you, as it may be distracted by this and allow you to escape.
  • Never feed or throw food to a bear.
If a Bear Charges…
  • Remember that many bears charge as a bluff. They may run, then veer off or stop abruptly. Stand your ground until the bear stops, then slowly back away.
  • Never run from a bear! They will chase you and bears can run faster than 30 mph.
  • Don't run towards or climb a tree. Black bears and some grizzlies can climb trees, and many bear will be provoked to chase you if they see you climbing.
  • If you have pepper spray, be sure that you have trained with it before using it during an attack.

If a Black Bear Attacks…
  • Be loud, waive your arms, and stand your ground.
  • Fight back! Be aggressive and use any object you have.
  • Only if you are sure the bear attacking is a mother who is protecting its cubs, play dead.
  • If you have pepper spray, use it. Begin spraying when it's within 40 ft so it runs into the fog. Aim for the face.

I dare say this should be posted in the Clubhouse up there (if it isnt already).

What is everyone's opinion of The Bear? (Is it purely coincidental that I am posting this after the posts about bears?)

There has been exactly one review in the last 2 years. Shocking! It is rated 3.75 based on 8 reviews with all but the last one being for an incomplete course (only 7-9 holes complete is what people say).

It is now complete and in my opinion is hands down the best course on the property. It is the most wooded, has almost no (none?) intersection with old ball golf fairways that take a lot away from the natural feeling, has interesting/challenging/fair fairways, has no doinky short holes like Gold does (out of place on a Gold level course IMO), Is the most beautiful (sbjective, I know). In my opinion, it is the only 5.0 rated course on the property.

Although I have retired from writing reviews for every course I play, I will write one for the Bear and will be giving it its first 5.0 rating (if I do so soon enough before anyone else discovers this awesomeness). Then, if one more person gives it a 5.0 it's average will be 4.0 which will get it rated in the upper echelon of courses.....that it deserves to be in.

Also, this course needs new pictures for this website (and new signage for the course).

Good story about the bear on the course. John informed us about the bear that lives on the Gold course----after we played it!!

What is everyone's opinion of The Bear? (Is it purely coincidental that I am posting this after the posts about bears?)

There has been exactly one review in the last 2 years. Shocking! It is rated 3.75 based on 8 reviews with all but the last one being for an incomplete course (only 7-9 holes complete is what people say).

It is now complete and in my opinion is hands down the best course on the property. It is the most wooded, has almost no (none?) intersection with old ball golf fairways that take a lot away from the natural feeling, has interesting/challenging/fair fairways, has no doinky short holes like Gold does (out of place on a Gold level course IMO), Is the most beautiful (sbjective, I know). In my opinion, it is the only 5.0 rated course on the property.

Although I have retired from writing reviews for every course I play, I will write one for the Bear and will be giving it its first 5.0 rating (if I do so soon enough before anyone else discovers this awesomeness). Then, if one more person gives it a 5.0 it's average will be 4.0 which will get it rated in the upper echelon of courses.....that it deserves to be in.

Also, this course needs new pictures for this website (and new signage for the course).

I agree the Bear is the best course on the property. Played mid August last year and a group may head up to HH if all the courses open. This is 1 of the courses I've played that I can't wait to play again (other is Nockamixon).

Ended up playing Winnebago County, Standing Rocks, Brandy Lake, and Sandy Point, besides the HBH courses. Nice darn weekend, especially with the weather holding out, for the most part.

DUDE! You guys were camping behind us (we were the three dudes in the 'good' Blueberry cabin. I knew I shoulda asked.

DUDE! You guys were camping behind us (we were the three dudes in the 'good' Blueberry cabin. I knew I shoulda asked.

I was wondering...but I didn't want to just start trolling around the property asking "Hey, are you Heavy Critters?". I feel like that would have been awkward, to say the least. You guys seemed to be having a good time (even though you pushed that one guy out!).

BTW, your dog at my cheeseburger. I swear, I put it down for one second...for an old dog, he's quick. Damn rotten fleabag.