• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many courses have you played that are the highest rated in their state?

That's another well worded answer and I agree. I'm a Pink level player so I'm at the top of the Red scale but may be a low level White level. Gold level courses like Jackson at the IDGC are no fun for me because they are so far above my skill level. I also get bored at Green level courses for being not challenging enough for me, but they are also not designed for my skill level. Is the Gold level course inherently better than the lower skill level course?

Of course, there's a limit to how much over your head a course can be before it becomes too much, and that will vary for everyone. But I suspect the fun range extends higher above our skill level, than below it. So those tougher courses are going to appeal to more players -- at least, more of the type of players who do most of the reviews.

Of course, there's a limit to how much over your head a course can be before it becomes too much, and that will vary for everyone. But I suspect the fun range extends higher above our skill level, than below it. So those tougher courses are going to appeal to more players -- at least, more of the type of players who do most of the reviews.
Stoney Hill is also above my skill level (as you saw) yet I think that for that reason I gave it a little bit of a rating bump up. If you miniaturized Stoney Hill and had the exact same course but shrunk it down to Red level length because you intended it for Red level players I think I would have unconsciously decreased my rating a little bit. This is an example of how, in practice, I give higher ratings to more difficult/ higher skill level courses.

To me, personally, this doesn't make total sense, because birdies are fun, so even though I enjoy shorter holes I should appreciate the ones that I can birdie more often.

I look at ratings and reviews as advisories to other disc golfers. So I consider how much I like the course myself, and how much I think other disc golfers will like it. And by "other golfers", my bias is to think of people rated 900 or higher. I suspect that's a bias with many reviewers.

I've played courses way over my head, but none so much that I didn't enjoy playing them. Sometimes, I "enjoyed" them to the effect of a few dozen extra throws. Though, as my skills deteriorate, I might find a return trip to Jackson or Winthrop Gold less fun.

I think ratings are weighted by the relative skill levels of most of the reviewers -- if we had a lot of 750-rated players as reviewers, we might get different results.

True bagger test would be: How many courses have you played that are the lowest rated in their state?

Not necessarily an achievement per se, more of a test of how addicted/dedicated you are to course bagging.;)

True bagger test would be: How many courses have you played that are the lowest rated in their state?

Not necessarily an achievement per se, more of a test of how addicted/dedicated you are to course bagging.;)

I love it! I just searched for courses in my home state of Michigan that are rated between 0.0 and 0.5. It turned up 43 courses. Of those, 36 simply don't have any reviews yet. The other seven have between 1-3 poor ratings with the very worst being a course about an hour's drive from me with two 0.0s and one 0.5. It's also listed as a pay-to-play course, and the course conditions show it as unplayable with no reason given as to why. So this will be an even more serious bagger test. :mad:

I love it! I just searched for courses in my home state of Michigan that are rated between 0.0 and 0.5. It turned up 43 courses. Of those, 36 simply don't have any reviews yet. The other seven have between 1-3 poor ratings with the very worst being a course about an hour's drive from me with two 0.0s and one 0.5. It's also listed as a pay-to-play course, and the course conditions show it as unplayable with no reason given as to why. So this will be an even more serious bagger test. :mad:

That's a good angle too.

There's a 3 hole "course" near me at Argon National Laboratory. Behind the fence and in a facility protected by armed guards. I'd love to check it off the list, but not worth potentially getting shot. I guess I fail the test, but I'm ok with that.

This is a great idea. Out of the courses that have reviews in Alabama, I have played the #2, #3, #5, and #8 lowest rated courses at .63, .67, 1.00 and 1.00 respectively. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. On the other hand, I have played the #1, #3, #4, #5, and #7 top rated courses in the state. So maybe I like to keep my balance between great and awful courses. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was going to bag a couple new courses this afternoon that are either south or east of me. But looks like it is thunderstorming in that direction. This 0.17 rated course is north of me...there might be a fourth review coming in the near future! :sick:

Up to 20 after a New England road trip that added the #1 courses in Maine, New Hampshire, and New York:

AR - Old Post
CO - Bucksnort
CT - Wickham Park (or Nichols Field, the two are nearly tied)
DE - Iron Hill
GA - Hobbs Farm
ID - Caliber
IL - Fairfield
KY - Idlewild
LA - Lake Claiborne
ME - Sabattus - Eagle
MD - Seneca Creek
MA - 501 Disc Golf
NH - Salmon Falls
NJ - Stafford Woods
NY - Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park
OR - Riverbend (Milo)
PA - Muddy Run
RI - Willow Valley
TN - Harmon Hills
WV - Whippin' Post

Updated list:
1. Michigan - Flip City
2. Illinois - Fairfield Park
3. Kentucky - Idlewild (but I think Iffy Hollers is even better)
4. West Virginia - Whippin' Post & Woodshed
5. Georgia - Hobbs Farm (also Flyboy)
6. Tennessee - Harmon Hills
7. North Carolina - Ashe County
8. South Carolina - Langley Pond
9. Missouri - Harmony Bends
10. Maryland - Seneca Creek
11. Minnesota - BRP (liked Bryant Lake better)
12. New Jersey - Stafford Woods
13. Delaware - Iron Hill
14. Indiana - Prides Creek
15. Connecticut - Nichols Field
16. Rhode Island - Willow Valley
17. Massachusetts - 501 Disc Golf + Maple Hill
18. New York - Warwick Park/Brakewell Steel
19. Ohio - Caesar Ford Championship

Perhaps more importantly, I've played 90 courses that are rated Top Ten in their state. So for the most part, I've been making it the better courses in each state has to offer.

*plans next trip to catch up with Monocacy*
:p

Just added Echo Valley in Ohio, the newly crowned highest rated course in Ohio and boy is she nice!

edit: Update your lists y'all or come and play this beauty!

Last edited:
*plans next trip to catch up with Monocacy*
:p

^ thought he was kidding...but wasn't. :p

Looking to bag the top 3 courses in VT, ME, NH in late Sep ( a week after after Green Mountain).

VT = Brewster Ridge
ME= Sabattus Eagle
NH = Salmon Falls

I bet Smugg's will be looking beautiful, dressed in her fall wardrobe. :)

per Thrembo:
1. Michigan - Flip City
2. Illinois - Fairfield Park
3. Kentucky - Idlewild (but I think Iffy Hollers is even better)
4. West Virginia - Whippin' Post & Woodshed
5. Georgia - Hobbs Farm (also Flyboy)
6. Tennessee - Harmon Hills
7. North Carolina - Ashe County
8. South Carolina - Langley Pond
9. Missouri - Harmony Bends
10. Maryland - Seneca Creek
11. Minnesota - BRP (liked Bryant Lake better)
12. New Jersey - Stafford Woods
13. Delaware - Iron Hill
14. Indiana - Prides Creek
15. Connecticut - Nichols Field
16. Rhode Island - Willow Valley
17. Massachusetts - 501 Disc Golf + Maple Hill
18. New York - Warwick Park/Brakewell Steel
19. Ohio - Caesar Ford Echo Valley ;)

Last edited:
^ thought he was kidding...but wasn't. :p

Haha. Hey, Muddy Run is a short(ish) detour on your next trip to the DC area. I will happily serve as course guide. :thmbup:

New England in the fall sounds lovely. Have a great trip!

Haha. Hey, Muddy Run is a short(ish) detour on your next trip to the DC area. I will happily serve as course guide. :thmbup:

New England in the fall sounds lovely. Have a great trip!

Might take you up on that!
Driving down to see my daughter on the tail end of that, so Wed the 28th, Tyler and Muddy Run are possibilities (legs permitting. :eek:)

Might even be able to hit RFK pop up if it's still there. ;)

Last edited:
Might take you up on that!
Driving down to see my daughter on the tail end of that, so Wed the 28th, Tyler and Muddy Run are possibilities (legs permitting. :eek:)

I should be free the 28th and you know how to reach me! Always up for an excuse to spin Muddy Run again. And hey, Patapsco Valley is on the way, too! ;)

Klines Run and Samuel S. Lewis (9-holer) are nearby Muddy Run and fun to play. Also consider playing one (or more) of the Lancaster mini courses, which are a blast.

The Tyler courses are well worth playing. As is Jordan Creek, and a bunch of others in that area.

Might even be able to hit RFK pop up if it's still there. ;)

So far, so good. :thmbup:

States I have played the #1's:

Alaska
Arizona
California
Colorado
Delaware
Georgia
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
Nevada
Oregon
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Washington
Wisconsin

Total:18

23 at the moment

Using the current top courses by state search feature looks like I'm at 23:

CO: Bucksnort
DE: Iron Hill
GA: Hobbs Farm
ID: Caliber
IA: Wildcat Bluff
KY: Idlewild
LA: Lake Clairborne Whitetail
ME: Sabattus Eagle
MA: 501
MI: Flip
MN: BRP
MO: Harmony Bends
MT: Blue Mtn
NH: Salmon Falls
NY: Warwick
PA: Muddy Run
RI: Willow Valley
SC: Langley Pond
TN: Harmon Hills
TX: Selah Lakeside
VT: Brewster
VA: Lake Marshall Lions
WI: Rollin Ridge

Fun exercise to look through each state and identify future roadtrip destinations (and see courses played not at the top but highly rated).