• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How To Make It In America (In A Sport That Gets No Love)

Don't let the helmets fool you. It's only rough if you're used to badmitton.

Womens lacrosse doesn't allow contact. Mens is pretty contact heavy.

220px-Face-off.jpg

Lacrosse is huge here in Colorado . Indoor pro team(mammoth) regularly draw 12-15,000 people per game in the Pepsi center, and outdoor team (Outlaws) draw 20-30,000 in the broncos stadium. It is also paying college tuition for my son valued at $38,000/year in a college he wouldn't have gotten in to without this sport, so I'm a huge fan. Rabil has a linebacker body and shoots over 105 mph. If you have never watched the sport, you should give it a look. As a previous poster noted, it starts with a good youth level program. That's what disc golf needs to grow. It can't be done in 5 or 10 years

Great point about lacrosse vs disc golf. Lacrosse is infinitely more popularly played than DG, and a far greater reach in the sports world. All that exposure doesn't mean $$$.

In the end, it's a life choice to play a game/sport for a living, and the financial aspects are something you need to walk into deliberately. That's the way it is with any profession/job/business.

how do you know this,about lacrosse being more popular than dg.

What's wrong with someone being good at something, even playing at the top professional level, and not making enough to for that to be their sole source of income?

In lacrosse players can earn scholarships and 6 digits as a "pro." In Discgolf you play on a club team and pay to play as a college student and win gas money as a "pro." Conclusion, lacrosse is a sport and Discgolf is a hobby.

What separates these "sports" from disc golf? Is it the look of the sport? Is it the setting? Is it the appearance of the players?

Just curious if anyone had some thoughts on this.

I believe the difference is whether or not the sport is a good spectator sport. The more fun it is to watch, the more money there will be for the people who are putting on the show.

I think that was Georgia, and it was prisoners from debtor's prison. So they are deadbeats, not violent criminals.

Kinda-sorta, yeah...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Georgia_(U.S._state) said:
English settlement began in the early 1730s after James Oglethorpe, a Member of Parliament, proposed that the area be colonized with the worthy poor of England, to provide an alternative to the overcrowded debtors' prisons. Oglethorpe and other English philanthropists secured a royal charter as the Trustees of the colony of Georgia on June 9, 1732.[6] The misconception of Georgia's having been founded as a debtor or penal colony persists due to the numerous English convicts who were sentenced to transportation to Georgia. With the motto, "Not for ourselves, but for others," the Trustees selected colonists for Georgia.

I believe the difference is whether or not the sport is a good spectator sport. The more fun it is to watch, the more money there will be for the people who are putting on the show.

People try to make it so complicated when all it comes down to is this.

Womens lacrosse doesn't allow contact. Mens is pretty contact heavy.

220px-Face-off.jpg

I was mostly kidding. I know it's not football, but I'm aware that there's more 'contact' than is sometimes implied.

I don't know what to think about all this lax talk. I know it's big in some areas, but it's pretty small time around here. I think some of the private HSs have it, but definitely not the public schools. My college had a club team, and I was buddies with 4-5 of the players, all of them from MD, actually.

I respect the game of lax to some degree, I just don't find it very interesting personally.

I think trying to compare a team sport that a lot of people can't play to an individual sport that most everyone can play is a fools errand.

During a discussion on Facebook recently someone said it's a fact that disc golf is the fastest growing sport because a disc golf magazine did a survey asking 1000 people who play disc golf what the fastest growing sport was and guess what they said?

Disc golf!

I was floored, how shocking!!! ;)

It's fun how out of whack DG'ers can be.

I commented on a FB graph last night that showed % of sale for each DG company, with Innova at about 74% (which sounds about right to me). One of the comments below it stated that the graph was completely off, because everyone he knows throws Prodigy, so it's probably more like 60% Prodigy in all disc sales. I mean...seriously??

It's fun how out of whack DG'ers can be.

I commented on a FB graph last night that showed % of sale for each DG company, with Innova at about 74% (which sounds about right to me). One of the comments below it stated that the graph was completely off, because everyone he knows throws Prodigy, so it's probably more like 60% Prodigy in all disc sales. I mean...seriously??
Too many folks who don't get out much beyond their local area think the way things are done in their back yard are the way they're done everywhere, even when talking to people from other places.

Professional Dart throwers, how much do they make a year?
How did bowling go from recreational sport to "professional" sport?
If we look at another sport that started around the same time as Disc Golf; how did Skateboarding go from renegade sport to "X games" level?
How did Bass fishing become a multi-million dollar a year sport?

What separates these "sports" from disc golf? Is it the look of the sport? Is it the setting? Is it the appearance of the players?

Just curious if anyone had some thoughts on this.

Dart earnings. This is a game played in smoky bars, by beer swilling guys. Getting most to wear a collared shirt is a challenge. I dabbled in this as a younger man back in the 80's. Not quite as lucrative here as overseas, but the advent of electronic darts has opened up some additional cash revenue streams for players.

1 Michael van Gerwen Holland £770,535 = $1,280,706.22
2 Phil Taylor England £599,522 = $996,225.71
3 Adrian Lewis England £364,622 = $ 606,366.39
4 Simon Whitlock Australia £228,922 = $380,790.80
5 Peter Wright Scotland £225,950 = $375,800.04

Dart earnings. This is a game played in smoky bars, by beer swilling guys. Getting most to wear a collared shirt is a challenge. I dabbled in this as a younger man back in the 80's. Not quite as lucrative here as overseas, but the advent of electronic darts has opened up some additional cash revenue streams for players.

1 Michael van Gerwen Holland £770,535 = $1,280,706.22
2 Phil Taylor England £599,522 = $996,225.71
3 Adrian Lewis England £364,622 = $ 606,366.39
4 Simon Whitlock Australia £228,922 = $380,790.80
5 Peter Wright Scotland £225,950 = $375,800.04

Is that a year of earnings, or lifetime?

This x1000.

The more I play discgolf, the more I enjoy watching the pros, and gain an appreciation for what they are able to do. If only the general public had this appreciation, then our sport would skyrocket in opportunity to make a living playing.