• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

They cut that bush thing on hole 1. The bush directly in front of the basket. Now it's an open shot with just that 1 tree. Other than that, I didn't notice anything dramatically different other than 17's new basket location. I must say, I'm not a big fan of that.:|

So judging by Randy Moore Sr.'s disappointment on Facebook I'm guessing that they finally cut down the trees they were talking about removing at Oswego. Can anyone confirm/deny? Maybe post some pictures? I doubt I'll be able to make it out there until May if not June to see in person.

They cut some bigger ones out yesterday. Nothing too crazy that affects the course much, but I haven't seen any markings on other trees. That course has a ton of ash trees on it so I would assume big changes in the future.:thmbdown:

Ill be heading to channy to play a round of shorts and longs are 1pm or so. If anyone wants to join feel free! I hope to see a lot of you at first flight next weekend!

more trees came down at eagle. I know the flick route on 11 is easier now and they took a tree down on 12 too. Dont know specifics but thats what i have heard

Registration is open for the SoHo-OPEN in Springfield, IL - this event will be during our local music festival so there will be plenty to do all weekend long. Dynamic Discs is coming to town to merch and there will be a 3 disc players pack for the first 100 Amateur players... Hope to see a lot of you make the trip to Springpatch to play 3 rounds at Lincoln. To keep track of info on DGCR please subscribe to this thread.

Today was a treat. I got a chance to go check out a new proposed course in Lake County that will be going into the ground this year. It's a super small park with several neighbors bordering the edge. It's going to be a very beginner friendly 9 hole course as the land doesn't offer too much. Very flat and open for the most part. There is a small wooded section that could be used to make 3 to 4 good holes.

This is the 2nd time I've witnessed this in person. The designer had a basic sketch. He took out the stakes and walked around pounding them in. It took less than 30 minutes to do so. Absolutely no knowledge of what's going on. The neighbor to the South is going to hate disc golf. I tried to give some suggestions but the rush to get done and previous determined layout hindered creative thought.

Talk about frustrating!!!

This is the 2nd time I've witnessed this in person. The designer had a basic sketch. He took out the stakes and walked around pounding them in.

Our buddy Dan at it again? He likes those stakes....Did he atleast paint the ground around the stake in case the stakes get pulled out?:doh:

Today was a treat. I got a chance to go check out a new proposed course in Lake County that will be going into the ground this year. It's a super small park with several neighbors bordering the edge. It's going to be a very beginner friendly 9 hole course as the land doesn't offer too much. Very flat and open for the most part. There is a small wooded section that could be used to make 3 to 4 good holes.

After you mentioned this project, I took a look at the site plan from the park district's website and the county GIS. The patch of woods they have holes #1, #2, #3, and #9 in is barely an acre, 100' wide between the property line and parking lot. The house to the south is bracketed by two baskets too close to the line though one is drawn as protected by berm and shrubbery, fine ten years from now when it grows in. The houses along the north side will get some lovin' too and they even have fences to be hopped to retrieve errant discs.

We need some way to educate the park districts.

After you mentioned this project, I took a look at the site plan from the park district's website and the county GIS. The patch of woods they have holes #1, #2, #3, and #9 in is barely an acre, 100' wide between the property line and parking lot. The house to the south is bracketed by two baskets too close to the line though one is drawn as protected by berm and shrubbery, fine ten years from now when it grows in. The houses along the north side will get some lovin' too and they even have fences to be hopped to retrieve errant discs.

We need some way to educate the park districts.

Great, just what we need. The # of people that Squaw Creek will attract will hopefully show some of the park districts what putting in a quality course can do.

Anyone want to do a meet at Anna Page in Rockford for a day. We could play all three courses. Makes for a great day of golf.

Great, just what we need. The # of people that Squaw Creek will attract will hopefully show some of the park districts what putting in a quality course can do.
No one will have any idea how many people show up at Squaw Creek. There isn't any way for the park district to track how many people are out there; all they can do is count cars periodically and guess. Even if they do that, they have no baseline to compare it to as they have no data about the number of people who showed up to play the old Fairfield course.

Even at that, the issue here has more to do with the fact that the park districts have smallish plots of land and the forest preserves have the big wooded spots we need. Park districts would install better courses if they had the land, but they don't. In the end, we end up talking about the difference between dangerous, ridiculous courses crammed into small community parks vs. meh courses crammed into small community parks because the land available in most cases will only allow for a meh 9-hole anyway.

The forest preserves have every Tom, Dick and Harry who needs 30 acres for some recreational need knocking on their door. We are just one of many trying to get access to the land. So far they have been pretty firm in saying "no" to everybody. So that nut is going to take a lot to crack. They are the folks with the land you need, though.

The new Fairfield is going to be a great thing, but I don't think it is the start of a trend.

CRAP! If I would have know the Government would know, I would have never gone to South Elgin today. :|

Playing disc golf in South Elgin is like riding a Vespa...It's fine until your friends find out. :\

So the whole week I'm here, and it's raining. When it finally stops raining, my wife FREAKS OUT that I'm going to waste gas to go play disc golf. I ended up WALKING to the South Elgin course. Bagged 0 courses this trip. :thmbdown:

At any rate, after you have to walk for 20 minutes to get to South Elgin, walking under the bridge to the last four holes is no big deal.

Latest posts