• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

It's true. It's always cloudy in South Elgin.

I think the sun might come out when my mother in-law is gone. :|

No one will have any idea how many people show up at Squaw Creek. There isn't any way for the park district to track how many people are out there; all they can do is count cars periodically and guess. Even if they do that, they have no baseline to compare it to as they have no data about the number of people who showed up to play the old Fairfield course.

Even at that, the issue here has more to do with the fact that the park districts have smallish plots of land and the forest preserves have the big wooded spots we need. Park districts would install better courses if they had the land, but they don't. In the end, we end up talking about the difference between dangerous, ridiculous courses crammed into small community parks vs. meh courses crammed into small community parks because the land available in most cases will only allow for a meh 9-hole anyway.

The forest preserves have every Tom, Dick and Harry who needs 30 acres for some recreational need knocking on their door. We are just one of many trying to get access to the land. So far they have been pretty firm in saying "no" to everybody. So that nut is going to take a lot to crack. They are the folks with the land you need, though.

The new Fairfield is going to be a great thing, but I don't think it is the start of a trend.

Totally see what you are saying. The only thing that makes me day this might be different is the Millennium Trail goes through the park. They have been paying special attention to how much use that path has been getting.

You are probably right, though, they won't know exactly how many people play. They will drive past and see a lot more cars than normal, though. My hope is that and some good PR by local clubs will give the course some exposure.

We played object golf there yesterday and played all the gold holes back in the woods. Tees and collars are all in. As soon as they drop those baskets in, it'll be playable. No idea when they will get to mow new fairways or put up tee signs, though. Every time I go back there it makes me even more anxious. To have a course of that caliber within 5 minutes of my house is more than I could have hoped for.

Marilla is in pretty good shape.
Flooded bad last spring, but pretty well drained out now.
Just some muddy spots, no standing water in normal trouble spots.

Did they build the playground in the middle of #8 fairway yet?
Not yet. The barbecue grill w/benches is still in the fairway, though. Bonus points for that. The playground will just bump it from one of the most dangerous holes in Chicago to THE most dangerous hole in Chicago. :\

If we're talking THE most dangerous hole, there are a couple strong contenders at Belvidere; or is that too far west? All save #7 and #8 have paths in play. #4 plays over one of the more frequently occupied parking lots. #9 plays down the main park road and over parking as well as having an obstructed view off the tee, almost pegged a jogger there once. #3 may be the winner though, playing over a road turn-around circle where people commonly park, then tight to a shelter and playground.

All that said, it's a fun nine holer if there aren't any other park users around, double points if you play all asphalt OB.

Didn't Elk Grove at one point have a hole playing either along side or over a playground? I remember playing the course convinced it's only a matter of time before some kid gets hit.

I just got a new job which I will be training in Chicago, I won't have a car, are there any courses I can get to from public transport?

I just got a new job which I will be training in Chicago, I won't have a car, are there any courses I can get to from public transport?

Yes...just depends on how much of a headache you want to deal with via train and/or bus. Will you be in the city or burbs?

s^gamer^p said:

For some reason I just pictured Cole in a "moving to the big city" montage ala the opening sequence of Laverne and Shirley. :| :p

laverne-and-shirley-movie-jamie-foxx-24-3-10-kc.jpg

It appears my job is right by union station, so I would guess I would be walking distance to that.

It appears my job is right by union station, so I would guess I would be walking distance to that.

I would only recommend these 2...unfortunately, neither is a "quality" course option:

Edgebrook is relatively easy via Metra's Milwaukee District North line.

IIT is also accessible via the CTA Red line.

FWIW, my office is close to Union Station. If our schedules work, I would be happy to show you around at least 1 local course. PM me if you are interested. :thmbup:

I think a couple of the north shore niners are accessible off the metra, as is lombard, but none of those are really worth sitting on a train for that long each way.

You might be better served by investing in a mini-basket and some minis for your apartment. :| :|

You might be better served by investing in a mini-basket and some minis for your apartment. :| :|

I am only going to be in the city itself for 3 weeks. I will come back to grand rapids only training in the city.

Latest posts