• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In the bag and various thoughts of a middling MA2

Brent Anderson Memorial today, I shot a 61, on a layout with a shorter hole 8, so basically equivalent to a 62 on on the full layout. I said "Actual round was a 63, I'd be pretty happy if I shot that Monday." I shot better than that and am indeed happy. Took a bad double bogey on 15 after hitting first available. Ended up second in MA1, I have way too many 2nd MA1 trophies...
Things I threw
Destroyer
Trident
F1
F3
2x Gazelle
Comet
Envy
3x PA4
Stego
A5
3x PA3

Brent Anderson Memorial today, I shot a 61, on a layout with a shorter hole 8, so basically equivalent to a 62 on on the full layout. I said "Actual round was a 63, I'd be pretty happy if I shot that Monday." I shot better than that and am indeed happy. Took a bad double bogey on 15 after hitting first available. Ended up second in MA1, I have way too many 2nd MA1 trophies...
Things I threw
Destroyer
Trident
F1
F3
2x Gazelle
Comet
Envy
3x PA4
Stego
A5
3x PA3

Shorter Hole 8??? WTF?

Shorter Hole 8??? WTF?

The summer camp set up on the island off to the right, with small kids and a bunch of tents and such. So they basically put a cloth pad where you'd want a really good drive to land and made it a 400' par 4 tweener. Meh last minute change.

We also played 3 long and 4 long, I think the original pads are better holes overall though. 3 long is a weird par 5 tweener, 4 short is one of the trickiest short shots you could force players to throw, yet is more fair than any gap that would be tighter.

The summer camp set up on the island off to the right, with small kids and a bunch of tents and such. So they basically put a cloth pad where you'd want a really good drive to land and made it a 400' par 4 tweener. Meh last minute change.

We also played 3 long and 4 long, I think the original pads are better holes overall though. 3 long is a weird par 5 tweener, 4 short is one of the trickiest short shots you could force players to throw, yet is more fair than any gap that would be tighter.

3 long is the actual original placement- got moved due to potential camper interaction with poor visibility. If I were redoing that hole entirely I would keep that tee and shorten the basket slightly. 4 short is better than the long imo and served a purpose in the overall design that is not fulfilled by the long. Longer/harder is not always better particularly when you try to look at the course as a whole rather than as the sum of its parts.

3 long is the actual original placement- got moved due to potential camper interaction with poor visibility. If I were redoing that hole entirely I would keep that tee and shorten the basket slightly. 4 short is better than the long imo and served a purpose in the overall design that is not fulfilled by the long. Longer/harder is not always better particularly when you try to look at the course as a whole rather than as the sum of its parts.

3 from long to right around where the bendy tree is, either in front of or behind, would be a good honest par 4.

Agree with most points on 4 short, only complaint vision/flow wise with it is that it's on the same front 9 as hole 6. We didn't play the long pin on 6, but it seems significantly more difficult.

Nice shooting at the BAM. I need to make it out to Clark's Run again soon.

I've now played it 3 times in the past 2 weeks, which is honestly too much considering it's a 1:15 drive to get there.
Love the course though and I think a lot of it is finally clicking after it kicked my ass for 3 years.

36 at Raptors Roost in practice
Talon Blue and Gold Wing. Hot as hell with a little drizzle later on. Shot -3 at Talon and +5 at Wings. I'm not a huge fan of Wings gold layout compared to blue, I think there are a lot of cool, fun shots from Blue that aren't better from the Gold tees. Also I'm hoping the course is a little better condition for the tournament next weekend.
4 Destroyers
1 Giant
2 D1
2x FX2
Trident
F1
F3
Gazelle
M2
2x Comet
2x PA4
A5
Stego
Envy
3x PA3

36 at Raptors Roost in practice
Talon Blue and Gold Wing. Hot as hell with a little drizzle later on. Shot -3 at Talon and +5 at Wings. I'm not a huge fan of Wings gold layout compared to blue, I think there are a lot of cool, fun shots from Blue that aren't better from the Gold tees. Also I'm hoping the course is a little better condition for the tournament next weekend.
4 Destroyers
1 Giant
2 D1
2x FX2
Trident
F1
F3
Gazelle
M2
2x Comet
2x PA4
A5
Stego
Envy
3x PA3

Saw and weedeater are headed there shortly, and again tomorrow, and probably again Wednesday.

Saw and weedeater are headed there shortly, and again tomorrow, and probably again Wednesday.

Very excited to see the end product. Raptor's Roost is fun and it's always interesting playing "bomber" courses where the majority of holes the RHBH hyzer play is blocked.

Brent Anderson Memorial today, Took a bad double bogey on 15 after hitting first available.

I did the same exact thing that day, and took a double as well. It was our first hole of the day and I apparently wasn't loose yet. :) On a normal start I'm usually quite loose at the point.

61 is a nice score on that layout.

Played open at Raptors Roost, shot a wild round 1 with a 4 hole stretch of +8 with double, par, quad, double, and closed on a not of 3 birds, bogey, 3 birds to keep it at least somewhat respectable (like 930ish rated somehow with a 9 on a hole). Round 2 I just played within myself, a lot of comet shots off the tee, and ended up shooting another 1000 rated round. Played with Jonathan McBeth which was fun, he's a super cool guy.
Discs
4x Destroyers (Lost one in the water on Talon hole 3)
2x D1s (I only got my flippy D1, which I have been throwing well for 3 years, to flip over once on Saturday and of course it flipped OB, I then benched it for the rest of the weekend)
1x Raider (I begged by friend Doug for the flippiest driver he owned after failing to turn over my flippy discs all day Saturday)
Trident
2x Fx-2 (Only threw one of these, the straighter of the two)
F1 (leaned on this a lot round 2)
F2 (added this into the bag since my F3's are flipping a little more than I'd like recently)
F3
MX-3
M2
Comet (MVP, threw this thing all over both courses, but especially Wings)
Envy
2x PA4
Stego
A5
3x PA3

First time playing in a like a month+. Went on vacation and then the dermatologist found some anomalous cell on a mole biopsy so they took a big chunk of skin out from behind my knee, which means I couldn't fully extend my right leg for the past 3 weeks or so. Played at the Blockhouse this weekend with some Seneca folk. 18 holes of dubs and 14 holes solo Saturday and 18 holes of Sunnyside Dubs Sunday.
Destroyer
2x D1
Recycled Giant (Subbed in for flippy D1)
Really flippy Raider
1x FX-2
Trident
F1
F2
F3
2x Gazelle (in and out, wasn't throwing them super well this weekend)
Mx-3
M2
Comet
Envy
2x PA4
Stego
A5
4x PA3

First time playing in a like a month+. Went on vacation and then the dermatologist found some anomalous cell on a mole biopsy so they took a big chunk of skin out from behind my knee, which means I couldn't fully extend my right leg for the past 3 weeks or so. . . .

Glad you were able to get that taken care of and get back to playing. Back of the knee is an odd place.

Gotta watch out for those Seneca folk, though. 😉

Dubs at Spilman, me and my partner shot -15 and each took home and extra $20.
very flippy Raider
F1
Glow Gazelle
Trident
MX-3
M2
Comet
A5
3x PA4
3x PA3

We started on 18, and were 7 through 7 and missed hole 7. Then we missed 15 and I think 16. 3 and 6 were counted as par 4s.

Someone cut down the leaning tree on 8, pretty sad.

Latest posts