• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova DX plastic blend

@iDiscGolf

* Ace Member *
Is Innovas DX plastic blend changing or did I get the good stuff?

My mail call for the day was a 167g DX Polecat. But the DX plastic blend felt very different. It felt great :p

I like GREAT baseline plastic. But was never the biggest fan of new-age DX. Has it changed?

the dx aviars i have snagged lately is money. the dx pumpkin roc3s feel great as well. i agree and i plan to snag a ton more in case it changes soon. nice and grippy not getting too beat up for putting straight cash homey!

Last edited:
everyone bagging discmania stuff have noticed that the newer putters like the P2 in D or DX plastic have been awesome (stiffer, but still great DX grip).

there must be newer/improved blend going into DX discs at the innova factory lately.

Yeah. I didn't like the slick DX. This is a little grippy with a little give, nothing crazy. But it feels great!

Kinda more along the lines of "Pro" plastic.

The Bigger Bird Rocs from RDG (my only newer DX experiences) feel great but are still a little waxy for my tastes. I'm used to matte yellow KCs though so I think I'm being overly sensitive about them.

I just bought three DX drivers from a local shop and I'm loving this blend of DX!
I think Innova found a good batch this time, grab them while they're out there. :thmbup:

I had dx rocs and aviars stamped and shipped last month, I can confirm that the current DX is awesome. Very grippy and stiff.

side note: A close friend (and monster arm) is very picky about his BB aviars, he swears that this batch is the most stable/overstable he's every encountered. Our club was very happy with the purchase.

I noticed improvements last year. This year, it's even better! Let's hope this is a trend.

And I might add, Pro plastic has made great strides in consistency.

So could people please articulate what they like more about this blend over stuff in the past. As a disc golfer who hasn't bought Dx after my Innova starter set, I have recently been looking into getting some of the classics (Teebird first probably). What am I looking for to tell if what I am holding is "good" Dx?

If it's stiffer it's good dx. Not waxy or easily bent.

Go check out a dx thunderbird if you have any near you. That's what good dx is.

I REALLY hope they changed the DX blend. I used to bag 2-3 DX Teebirds at a time but DX got to a point where it was absolutely horrible.

I think Innova is pretty consistent. They have to be with the volume they produce, they're like McDonald's fries, they come out the same every time.

So if they did change, I'd expect it to stay the same.

Stiffness is where DX has improved recently. You will still find soft, waxy, & even stiff waxy DX, but IMO this is not the norm these days.

Some of the current stuff is much like the early 2000's (post bar stamp, pre 2006ish) and I'm thrilled because popular molds from that era were either impossible to find or hard to find at a decent price (XD, Aviar, Gazelle, Teebird). It's flatter, stiffier, more stable on average, holds that stability longer, but just as grippy as any plastic out there.

Bravo Innova!

I have a theory that they changed the blend of their DX so that they can use similar plastic for the Pulsar. Pulsar boxes are labeled DX when they arrive from the factory. New DX feels so much grippier, much like a Pulsar feels like.

Also, the whole "Dave d loves gstar" thing maybe contributing. Who's dosent like firm and grippy, it's a perfect combination for baseline.

I got a lot of time in with my dx thunderbird during USDGC (I was a volunteer), and man, I am love! I can see cycling a few of these in for a range of fairway to distance driver shots. The flight reminds me of a fresh beefy eagle x or teebird right now, and I am betting it wears in to fly like a longer seasoned DX eagle. They have a good predictable skip at the end too. I think I might have a half DX bag by next year if my molds come out in this plastic. DX aviars, rocs, leopards, teebirds, thunderbirds, and beast-x's. I could probably do just that with enough cycle time.

Also, the whole "Dave d loves gstar" thing maybe contributing. Who's dosent like firm and grippy, it's a perfect combination for baseline.

Maybe not so much "Dave D loves GStar" so much as "Dave D loves to experiment and innovate." So he fiddles around with the DX blend and comes up with this really good batch, and Voila!... good stuff comes forth.