• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is shoveling ice legal in order to get a better stance

while it's likely nobody is going to die falling on the ice, the probability of somebody getting seriously hurt is greater. in the insurance and medical world, somebody dying is less expensive than somebody needing long term medical care. if somebody really messed up their wrist in a fall and needed a couple surgeries and intensive rehab, the costs are going to be close to six figures in the end.

6 figures for a broken wrist and some physical therapy...seems a bit high, I broke my hand once and it was only a $1000 with no insurance help.

i played an ice bowl on private party last weekend and didn't sign a liability waiver. the only time i remember signing liability waivers was for ISO tournaments in IL.

6 figures for a broken wrist and some physical therapy...seems a bit high, I broke my hand once and it was only a $1000 with no insurance help.

it cost ~ 1-2 thousand dollars just to get anesthesia for a surgery. then the surgery, then the recovery time. it adds up quickly.

nope, you're goin to jail

No because all the matters is that you get your weight shifted properly and are able to pivot. Make sure you do both of those on the towel. Or its called learning to throw from a standstill. Simple solution there for ya. And its winter, have fun.

Well thanks for the tip because I have never done that before

I've seen people carry those big beach towels and throw those down. I can't stand using them cause for some reason it gets in my head. I just throw from a stance. It's safer anyway.

Last few Lexington Ice Bowls we had lots of ice. This is the first year for a while we wont have any snow or ice. These are sanctioned tournaments. I usually give people the option of teeing off behind the pad (next to if it's been designated) if the pads are really icy.

Well thanks for the tip because I have never done that before
No problem. Ive never tried it yet either but the person I was shoveling the tees with has been playing for awhile and offered the advice. Cant wait to see how it works. I think itll be nice for those really icy/slippery spots.

I have been playing in these all winter and Ice is no longer an issue

5017316t_v1_m56577569830990486.jpg

would it be considered building up a lie i heard there was a descrepency when people were putting towels down and placing there knee there for cushion at usdgc or something

I think there's a thickness issue that makes the difference between putting something down to protect your knee and building a lie. Also, I could be wrong but I think you're only allowed that towel to pivot on at the tee, not for fairway shots.

nobody is going to hold a sanctioned tournament on a 1/2 inch of ice. the liability is too great. if you end up on some random ice in a tournament, call it an unplayable lie and follow the rules.

You've never played a Slosh event during Portland, Oregon winter. We play our sanctioned events in anything, we're like mailman disc golfers (actually, there are a lot of mailman DGers here, ironically). As far as liability goes, that's covered by the PDGA per the sanctioning. If I was going to run a winter tournament (I coordinated the series for two years) I would ONLY run it if it WAS sanctioned, to save my own butt, and the hosting club BODs butts, collectively.

You've never played a Slosh event during Portland, Oregon winter. We play our sanctioned events in anything, we're like mailman disc golfers (actually, there are a lot of mailman DGers here, ironically). As far as liability goes, that's covered by the PDGA per the sanctioning. If I was going to run a winter tournament (I coordinated the series for two years) I would ONLY run it if it WAS sanctioned, to save my own butt, and the hosting club BODs butts, collectively.

Ill come in ur slosh winter u come in our 115 summer. Ooooo bet

Ill come in ur slosh winter u come in our 115 summer. Ooooo bet

I've played in sustained 107 degrees before at the Summertime Open in Sylmar, Ca. I was in third place going into the final round playing with Rico the entire tournament on the lead card. I got heat stroke the final round and barely finished, ending in 8th place. I'll take our rain any day over temps above 90. You can keep your 115, but feel free to come join us for our winters. :hfive:

I think there's a thickness issue that makes the difference between putting something down to protect your knee and building a lie. Also, I could be wrong but I think you're only allowed that towel to pivot on at the tee, not for fairway shots.

Ya I think so too. I was only referring to the tee though.

Latest posts