• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Is there a beadless Comet?

Well I'm not digging back through years of this.. Haha.. And etc etc... but:

*Tursas* is the answer to the question if Stable is still around to care.

And I have a glow champ cobra on my wall...

Is the Coyote/Anubis beaded?
I bought an Anubis for a friend, which became an immediate wall hanger, but I can't remember.

I do know Mr. Comet himself used to throw the Coyote when he was with Innova.

Is the Coyote/Anubis beaded?
I bought an Anubis for a friend, which became an immediate wall hanger, but I can't remember.

I do know Mr. Comet himself used to throw the Coyote when he was with Innova.

From what I hear from the Coyote guys it's not the same as it used to be..

Not that it matters much in this zombie thread, but fwiw, I have sanded off beads before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that it matters much in this zombie thread, but fwiw, I have sanded off beads before.

Followed up by one of the least reasonable answers.

Watched a dude park a 320' hole with an old QMS on a beautiful slowly turning BH. Didn't recognize it at the time but it was quite Comet-like.

How is this unreasonable? OP wanted ideas for a beadless comet. The rotational inertia will change ever so slightly I guess, making it ever so slightly slower, but comets are already only speed 4. It becomes an issue if you plan to use it in a pdga sanctioned event because of rule 813.01 B and I wouldn't personally risk it, but a person could argue two things here:
1. How many throws onto a road could warrant the complete sanding of the bead within the confines of the rule
And
2. How is flight characteristic alteration quantified? We already know that parting parting line heights have a big impact on stability per mold and plastic. If you remove a bead, you're removing what, 1 gram? 5 grams? I never took apart a disc to compare the ratio of rim weight to flight plate weight like MVP, but the rotational inertia equation will be changed on the rim by that amount of mass reduction, which occurs at the point closest to the center of the disc with regards to the bead and thus having the smallest impact on rotational inertia as far as the rim is concerned. I find it hard to believe that sanding off a bead will produce a flight characteristic beyond the tolerances of disc production in general. It might change its ability to be thrown differently, but not its actual flight. But again, "excessive sanding" is expressly forbidden in the pdga rules so while it's an ethical grey area, I would only do this to a disc I use for casual play.

Does that make my answer more reasonable?

Does that make my answer more reasonable?

No, because you're intentionally modifying the disc, which is pretty straightforward against the rules. Not a debate I want to have, but there's really no reason to follow a different ruleset.

Also if it was just magically a better disc without the bead, I'm pretty sure manufacturers would watch on at some point in the development process and make that mold

Watched a dude park a 320' hole with an old QMS on a beautiful slowly turning BH. Didn't recognize it at the time but it was quite Comet-like.

This is the shot QMSs do best. The long, gentle anhyzer. It is a thing of beauty.
The older 180g tyedye run of QMSs is the best.

Sirius Auroras (QMS) may be even closer to a Comet. Touch less stable than my gummies.

No, because you're intentionally modifying the disc, which is pretty straightforward against the rules. Not a debate I want to have, but there's really no reason to follow a different ruleset.

Also if it was just magically a better disc without the bead, I'm pretty sure manufacturers would watch on at some point in the development process and make that mold

Don't make the mistake that I'm on the other side of you in the ethics department, because I'm not. Some folks here might have no interest whatsoever in pdga rules and only play for fun and unethical people can fairly easily circumvent this particular one. But yeah, not a debate to be had here, I agree.

I do disagree about the point you make about manufacturers, though. It's easy enough to make a beaded and unbeaded version of every mold, but think of what that would do to the retailers and excess inventory? I could be totally wrong though, that's total speculation on my end.

Have you tried a Piwakawaka? It's a great manipulative flight with no bead and a very manageable rim.

This is the shot QMSs do best. The long, gentle anhyzer. It is a thing of beauty.
The older 180g tyedye run of QMSs is the best.

Sirius Auroras (QMS) may be even closer to a Comet. Touch less stable than my gummies.

How did I not think of that mold QMS, it is like a Comet without a bead.

It's even half a shark.

I was looking at QMS when it was first out in 2000's as I wanted a Better wind resistant Stingray/Cobra the other part of the disc and a mold I was using at 166 gram Stingray DX, had a 164 gram DX too that I lost before that. I would have gotten around 170 gram at the time I wanted all discs except putting putters (max weight) at 169-172 grams. The only reason I did not get the QMS is that I found the Wasp I was tying out, was a more comfortable ROC disc, less pointy nose and bead fit the wing better. Still that mold was not quite what I wanted when they stopped making the other versions other then Z.

I know, but that was before I used the Shark or even had the 167 gram DX waxy 2000's stiff Shark, given away in 2016 to a friend as part of a disc golf set with a Whaoo and Hydra set and a Dragon and Hydra set, Hydra was less OS then the disc that was his putter, a OS Buzz. I was lied to about the Wahoo online they said in 2016 the disc was part of a beginner disc package but it is a 12 speed, had a no numbers version on the picture. He sold that disc on Ebay when he did not want it but others did want the stiff R-Pro Wahoo for a water disc.

Last edited:
Have you tried a Piwakawaka? It's a great manipulative flight with no bead and a very manageable rim.

I'm too lazy to Google but I don't think you could make up a name like that haha.. It just doesn't sound like out of all the possible choices someone said yeah "Peewakawacka is it!". Unless Fozzie bear got a new job.

Latest posts