• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this in our out?

oddjob

Double Eagle Member
Stolen from facespace.
11072332_10155606537325107_7425154795623149867_n.jpg

Road is ob.

Sorry, gotta agree. If it was my throw that landed there, I'd call OB on myself.

Out.

If road is OB, that disc is surrounded by it and is therefore OB.

Just because there is grass touching it doesn't mean anything. You can clearly see its surrounded by asphalt, so its out. I also hate calling these in tournaments, because most people don't want to take their strokes and will agrue you to death

It's touching grass, which to me shows it isnt "completely" surrounded by road. If you were in my group I'd give it To you.

I've played numerous tourneys that I hear 2 things:
If its touching even a blade of grass it's not surrounded completely and it's
In bounds.

2. benefit of the doubt goes to the player

It's touching grass, which to me shows it isnt "completely" surrounded by road. If you were in my group I'd give it To you.

In bounds.

Anyone telling you a blade of grass matters in a case like this is WRONG.

OB lines are vertical planes. The edge of the pavement in this case is the line and the boundary extends straight up from that edge. It doesn't bend or disappear due to blade of grass. Any portion of a blade of grass extending over the pavement is part of the OB area, not an extension of the inbounds area.

The red line represents the OB line in this case (best as I can see in the photo). Disc is surrounded by OB therefore it's OB. There really is no doubt from which the player gets a benefit.

attachment.php

Attachments

• OB-pavementVSgrass.jpg
    OB-pavementVSgrass.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 198

In bounds.

So, in your grass touching scenario, if it was in the middle of the road and it was touching a hanging in bounds bush branch, or if it was two feet out in a pond and touching a drooping cattail leaf it would be still in too?

So, in your grass touching scenario, if it was in the middle of the road and it was touching a hanging in bounds bush branch, or if it was two feet out in a pond and touching a drooping cattail leaf it would be still in too?

:hfive::clap:

Shot that down like it was a theory of Relative Truth.

Ob...completely on the asphalt. Grass in question touches the top of the disc and has grown away from the ground. Just because one blade of grass grows accross the road doesn't make it a free inbound. Sucks to be that close though.

Different situation but the same principle applies here as does to the "blade of grass" scenario.

attachment.php

The question is whether this OB shot is played from spot A or spot B. The correct answer is of course, A. The reason it is A is because where it struck the tree before falling into the OB water was over the OB area and thus OB. The whole tree itself isn't in bounds because it is rooted in bounds.

Same thing applies to a blade of grass. Just because it is rooted in bounds does not mean the whole thing is in bounds. The portion of the blade hanging over an OB area is considered OB.

Attachments

• OB-pond-tree.gif
    OB-pond-tree.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 197
Different situation but the same principle applies here as does to the "blade of grass" scenario.

attachment.php

The question is whether this OB shot is played from spot A or spot B. The correct answer is of course, A. The reason it is A is because where it struck the tree before falling into the OB water was over the OB area and thus OB. The whole tree itself isn't in bounds because it is rooted in bounds.

Same thing applies to a blade of grass. Just because it is rooted in bounds does not mean the whole thing is in bounds. The portion of the blade hanging over an OB area is considered OB.

Perfect example! :thmbup:

attachment.php

This seems a little weird. I understand fully but it technically would have to mean that the tree top is considered OB. By real land definitions the tops of the trees which extend over dividing lines that cloud up division should be trimmed or removed and considered a part if the ground. If a disc goes through the tree but kicked back out and fell into the water how do you know for sure it didn't touch in bounds? The tree IS in bounds....?

To me the tree technically needs to be coming out of the pond as that is the dividing line on OB and where the tree would need to be rooted. The branches are not hanging freely.

Last edited:

In bounds.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong and wrong. There is a defined O.B. Line with the gravel and you can clearly see gravel between the disc and the grass/dirt. I hope you are never on my card

If he was on my card I would give it to him and say in.

The problem here is that there is not a defined OB line. There is a gray area that has both grass and asphalt.