• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It Finally Happend...

AnhyzerBusch

Yesterday, i was playing out at Lake Park in Lewisville, TX. With it being Fathers Day, and Sunday, it was a little more crowded than usual. Mainly people swimming down by the water. We were on hole 2 that has a small hill in the middle with the hole being on the other side about 150ft from where we were. Well, there was 4 of us playing, scattered out on the hill, with me being farthest up after the drive.. Naturally i stayed behind the others so i wouldn't be in their way. My buddy Mike walked up the hill to look a the hole and make sure it was clear for us to throw. After he walked back down, my buddy Travis, the farthest out threw. After that throw, i started to walk up the hill a little to see where i was throwing at exactly. However, as I was walking i noticed my buddy Mic was about to throw, so i stopped walking for courtesy towards him. Right after he threw i took another step up the hill and saw three people walking single file, dragging a cooler across the fairway left to right.. I yelled FORE! as soon as i saw them, But Mikes disc was just going too fast. The first guy dodged his head out of the way, but the second guy.... not so lucky. He turned to look at me as soon as i said fore, and caught the 176g buzzz right under his right eye by the bridge of his nose, and his hat flying off. I was so shocked by what i saw that i had to turn back to Mike and tell him what happened... We kind of waited around for a few minutes to see what was going to happen. by the time we went up the hill to check on them they had already hoofed it out of the way back on up to the parking lot.

I've seen some close calls on the course when it comes to discs coming into contact with the neck up. But the image of the guy getting hit has burned itself into my memory.

Anyways, figured i should share this experience with yall.

Only person I've ever hit was on that hole... blind shot over the hill. We'd seen no one on the course so far, so there was no reason to expect anyone in front of us... but I throw over the hill with a FLX Buzz or a Roc (can't remember) and hit a guy's son, standing in the fairway near the basket. They had already finished the hole for several minutes and just hadn't moved on. Felt really bad about it. But that blind shot is a problem on that course -- needs some sort of warning to check before throwing, as well as a notice to encourage players to get out of the way after playing the hole.

People just dont understand. I laid this chick out at Riverside Glide many years ago, she was walking with her boyfriend who was playing in the tournament and guess she thought her boyfriends card were the only people playing. Well this course all of the pads are next to the previous hole(within 50'). I got a hold of one and knew it, started calling fore during the entire flight, well, I guess nobody on that card knew what fore was till that firechicken hit her right in the temple and laid her out cold. Wasnt funny at the time but me and a buddy that was on thier card, laugh about it during story time. Case and point.....PAY ATTENTION on the course!

Wow, I bet he felt that in the morning. I have only seen people hit neck and down, never in the face...yet.

My Mom accidentally hit my hubby in the back of the head last weekend. :eek: Fortunately she doesn't throw very hard yet. We just thought the whole Mother-in-law whacking him in the back of the head was pretty funny ;).

I was at a tournament in Chapin and somebody got smacked pretty good in the face before the first round started. I didn't know who it was but you could definitely spot him at a distance with the bruise he had. I'm pretty sure he played the entire tournament too.

Luckily I haven't hit anyone or been hit yet. Though I do recall a few times I felt like Neo in the Matrix with a disc flying at my head.

A guy I know took one to the face when he made the common mistake of turning around in the direction of "Fore!"...apparently he was KO'ed on the spot, broke his nose, lost a tooth, crazy bruising all over, hairline fractures...not a good day on the course for him.

I'm wondering when we'll hear of our first disc-related fatality...I'm sure with enough speed to the right spot on the noggin, a traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage or similar could occur. Maybe it already has.

We have a major problem with casual traffic at Burke Lake park in VA. The problem is that there's a kids area, with a Train, Carousel, playground, and ICe Cream Parlour by the entrance to the course. Many people use the fairways for 1/5/3 or 6 or even 18 as a convenient way to get to the lake path. Most of the time, the people are pretty understanding when I politely tell them they're on a disc golf course, and that the discs hurt when they hit.

It gets frustrating, however, when women with small children ignore the warning and go on walking, or sometimes even get nasty. I am sure someone is going to get nailed one day, and that will be the end of that course, because in park managements eyes, the disc thrower is responsible if the disc hits someone.

My normal dg group has some bad luck I guess. My girlfriend got her nose broke the first time I took her out. She took a driver from about 20 foot away. Then a few months later she got hit just below the shoulder with a drive. Later that round she nailed my buddy in the side of the head with a drive. He never says anything about throwing like a girl anymore... ;)

Last week a buddy and I were playing in Bellefontaine, OH. Hole #18 is right beside a picnic pavilion/shelter, and just as my buddy teed off with his avenger ss a little boy, I would say about 8 came running out of the shelter. The disc was on a line to connect, and it was right at head height. we started yelling "look out" I'm sure the kid would have no idea what fore meant. He heard us and slowed down. Issue #2 was if he would have kept running full blast he would have cleared the disc in plenty of time, but instead, because of our yelling he stopped right in the flight path of the disc. Luckily the kid was quick on his feet and just fell to the ground and the disc missed him...whew.

I definitely think that a lot of courses could use signs letting non disc golfers know to watch out for flying discs, a lot of people have no idea that they are even walking through a disc golf course and that it could potentially be very dangerous.

Side note: After the kid got up, he ran over the hill and then came back running with my buddy's disc in his hand, I think he thought he was doing us a favor by retrieving our frisbee.

My normal dg group has some bad luck I guess. My girlfriend got her nose broke the first time I took her out. She took a driver from about 20 foot away. Then a few months later she got hit just below the shoulder with a drive. Later that round she nailed my buddy in the side of the head with a drive. He never says anything about throwing like a girl anymore... ;)

You picked a good one if she's still coming out and playing with you after that.

I hit a kid about 13 years old one time at out the local course we go to. We let the kid and his dad tee play thru in front of us, but they ended up tossin one in the thick stuff. So they started lookin and waived us through. I tee'd of second and they had turned away as soon as i threw. Keep in mind im playing on a very open course, so i had been letting my forehands rip all day long. I let it go with too much hyzer angle and it darted right at them. I yelled fore, they turned and looked at me instead of the disc, and the kid caught the down hyzer to the shin. Dropped him to the ground.

We have a major problem with casual traffic at Burke Lake park in VA. The problem is that there's a kids area, with a Train, Carousel, playground, and ICe Cream Parlour by the entrance to the course.

What do I need to do to get an Ice Cream Parlour installed on my home course?! That would be awesome. (It would have to be at a safe distance from any holes, of course!)

Seriously, a creamsicle would be fantastic in between rounds on a hot day.

^^ How sick would it be to have an oldschool bicycle/cooler cart riding around :)

Discs on one side, ice cream and cold drinks on the other. You could make a killing on a hot day.

Latest posts