• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's a quiet Saturday night so...footwear?

Basshunter

Birdie Member
Curious as to what people's preferred footwear for DG is. In the heat of summer, if I know the course well enough, I'll sport Teva sandals. Given my need for a knee replacement, I primarily throw a mild X step or from a standstill, and 25 years of summer hiking in Tevas gives me a reasonable comfort level in them. New courses and more brushy courses I wear Keen Targhees. What's your DG footwear of choice?

And yes, I recognize all of the criticism I'm likely to draw for playing in sandals but I have a long track record and high confidence in their effectiveness for me. :popcorn:

I've always worn vans slip ons. Always get looks, but they're perfect.

Plus I look like, totally cool.

I went through many shoes and finally settle in on the Merrell J50929 Refuge Core Mid Hiking Boot. It is great for all types of weather. Gives good support around my ankles, has great traction, and are waterproof. They have also held up well. Going on second year with no problems.

No problem, just thought those may help give ideas :)

Good luck with your search.

No problem, just thought those may help give ideas :)

Good luck with your search.

Search? Hell no, I'm just bored and trying to stimulate conversation about my newest addiction because its too dark to go assemble my new baskets and throw :D

Im wearing new balance now, im in the market for a new shoe, just not sure which company. I have only had merrells and they werent all that great.

I've been rocking Vibram FiveFingers Bikilas for the last couple weeks. It's turned out to be a great decision. Great grip, really comfortable (after you get used to them), and really lightweight. As long as I'm not walking much on concrete, I'm good.

I like my Keen Newports. Around here (and I'm sure in many other areas), the courses can get pretty rugged. I also have a knack for finding water with my discs, so if I have to wade in a bit I'm not worried about messing them up. The hiking sole with a more sandal-like outer make for a good combo for me.

I have a friend that wears a Vibram-like shoes (these have four toes rather than five) that he picked up at Rack Room Shoes (I think). Not sure of the brand name, but their cheaper than Vibrams. He seems to like them for disc golf.

I've been trying New Balance Minimus, Saloman Speedcross 3, and North Face Hedgehogs. I love how light the SC3's are, but I've been wearing the Hedgehogs a lot because it's been a wet summer so far, and they're waterproof.

The Minimus are nice, but I can't keep debris out of them with all the time I've been spending in the schule lately, and I don't like wearing socks with them. The soles aren't super grippy in the wet either despite being Vibram.

The SC3's are super light and extremely comfortable, but I doubt their tread pattern is going to stand up to the abuses of teeing off on concrete. There are pieces already coming off of them.

The Hedgehogs are nice enough, but they're a little heavier than I like after wearing the other two pair. The soles seem to be the best for concrete however.

I have Northface shoes. they are great. Waterproof, and pretty much indestructible. I would wear out a pair of Salomons in about 2 months. I have had these for a year.

I've been rocking Vibram FiveFingers Bikilas for the last couple weeks. It's turned out to be a great decision. Great grip, really comfortable (after you get used to them), and really lightweight. As long as I'm not walking much on concrete, I'm good.

The not on concrete bit amuses me since they were designed as a street running shoe :) I have Bikilas as well and I've been wearing them for about 5 months now. No wear noticeable on the tread at all from concrete tees, altho the courses here in Louisville all have nice smooth concrete.

I have a friend that wears a Vibram-like shoes (these have four toes rather than five) that he picked up at Rack Room Shoes (I think). Not sure of the brand name, but their cheaper than Vibrams. He seems to like them for disc golf.

Those sound like Adidas Skeletoes to me

I've commented on this a few times. Without question the best disc golf shoe I've ever used and will buy no other. 5- 10's or Five Tens. I use the high top Impacts. They are made for downhill mountain biking. Very solid and the Stealth rubber has the best grip out there. I've played in WA, OR and S.F. bay area. So teepads tend to be wet the majority of the time. With the Stealth rubber it's like you are playing on dry teepads. Finally the sole covers the toe area and after three years. I've yet to wear through to the fabric. They also make hiking shoe's, but they are very rigid. Since they are made for base climbing. NO shoe comes close to these, None, sip, zero!

Vibram Bikilas LS are great, if you like going barefoot. I find I get much better traction than in sneakers, especially once they are wet. There are a couple parks that I won't wear them to, though -- lots of broken glass or really rocky terrain. I picked up a pair of Keen's Delavegas about three weeks ago after hearing a guy rave about them. So far, they are as advertised.

Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum though. :|

I've commented on this a few times. Without question the best disc golf shoe I've ever used and will buy no other. 5- 10's or Five Tens. I use the high top Impacts. They are made for downhill mountain biking. Very solid and the Stealth rubber has the best grip out there. I've played in WA, OR and S.F. bay area. So teepads tend to be wet the majority of the time. With the Stealth rubber it's like you are playing on dry teepads. Finally the sole covers the toe area and after three years. I've yet to wear through to the fabric. They also make hiking shoe's, but they are very rigid. Since they are made for base climbing. NO shoe comes close to these, None, sip, zero!

how do these size? Say like I am 10.5. Should I get a half size up or down or get the 10.5?

Latest posts