• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jeremy Koling's Sidearm

All I do is flick and can push it out to about 375 with a good rip. The key is to be comfortable with under stable stuff. I flick Katanas on a regular basis and will use that or a Legacy Cannon for my distance drives. You just have to be careful that you have correct form or it will turn and burn. With my limited exeperience with it, the new DD Trespasss is also wonderful for long distance flicks. Just understable enough in order to get a good S curve and max d. Beast work well too. It is important to have high speed understable stuff for long shots so you can use max power. I have the standard flick stuff in bag (bosses, etc) but hardly ever use them and only will on hyper shots.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an accurate idea how far you need to put it out to clear the lake and what the elevation change is?

Does anyone have an accurate idea how far you need to put it out to clear the lake and what the elevation change is?

To clear the lake from where they are throwing it's about 515 straight ahead. Add distance if disc finishes left of straight, subtract if it finishes right. Elevation change I'd estimate to be close to a 30-40ft drop but don't quote me on that. Elevation is not easy to judge.

To clear the lake from where they are throwing it's about 515 straight ahead. Add distance if disc finishes left of straight, subtract if it finishes right. Elevation change I'd estimate to be close to a 30-40ft drop but don't quote me on that. Elevation is not easy to judge.

Ah, thank you! Every video I've seen makes it look like more of a drop than that, but I assumed (correctly) that it must not be since I routinely forehand my Beast into the parking lot at DeLa (approx. 550-625' depending on where you hit it) when the wind is up to the right sort of shenanigans. I believe the drop off The Top of the World is something in the neighborhood of a 100' drop in elevation though. Once, I even cleared that parking lot, which was crowded with people, and had to do a pretty severe walk of shame to get my disc, hearing stories of the near-death experiences of those loitering.

On a 30' drop, 515' is a huge pull.

Last edited:
I threw a Sidewinder across a couple of years ago. Its a Huk but its not THAT far! I dont throw 500ft

I see him at all the local tourneys. Def an Ultimate player originally. He is on tour now, so if you see him buy a disc or two to put some gas in his tank!

I threw a Sidewinder across a couple of years ago. Its a Huk but its not THAT far! I dont throw 500ft

The change in elevation drops that carry to about 400-420 feet. If you throw a glidey disc like a Sidewinder and add some favorable wind it shouldn't take that much to clear that water.

The impressive part is some of those guys in the distance exhibition were reaching the road (Jerm even threw a couple across the road). It's a good 650ft to get across the road and the change in elevation is smaller at that distance because the ground goes back up hill on the other side of the lake.

W5hBRZk.jpg

The change in elevation drops that carry to about 400-420 feet. If you throw a glidey disc like a Sidewinder and add some favorable wind it shouldn't take that much to clear that water.

The impressive part is some of those guys in the distance exhibition were reaching the road (Jerm even threw a couple across the road). It's a good 650ft to get across the road and the change in elevation is smaller at that distance because the ground goes back up hill on the other side of the lake.

W5hBRZk.jpg

my noodle arm would be happy with hitting that island in the middle, then taking kayak out for my second shot to the opposite bank :D

edit: i guess thats not an island, i would be screwed

So a rule of thumb I found is "every 1 foot of elevation change is 3 foot of relative distance" so 30' downhill elevation change knocks a relative 90' off distance? Whereas 30' uphill would add 90' of relative distance?

How accurate is this? I found it on the PDGA forum through a Google search. What's the science behind it? If this does play out to be pretty accurate in "most" disc golf situations, this will really help me on the course.

:I understand this is off topic, but we are talking about the most talked about "over the lake tosses" so it is "kind of" on topic :)

Then i found another site (a ball golf site) that shows it's more along the lines of 1-1. (they had 20yd increase in elevation made it play 20yds further , and 20yd decrease was 20 yards shorter.)

Last edited:
dangit, editing limit. They actually showed for a driver (more like a disc toss than the 6 iron i referenced)

to be 20yd decrease in elevation would add 15yds to the linear distance...so a 4-3 ratio.

in that silky 400 foot flick in the Augusta Classic vid, is it just me or did he release that shot as apposed to letting it rip out? I'm not great at FH so I need to know if that is a viable technique.

Where is BigJerm to straighten us all out?

I can hit 400ft forehand as opposed to 350ft backhand. And I don't really use forehand that often. I never thought 400ft forehand was that far but some of you guys are acting like it takes so sort of Herculean effort.

I don't see it as a herculean effort I see it as a skill I haven't mastered. there are volumes of information on how to throw backhand. There is about three threads worth on forehand. I worked hard to get my backhand to where it is today. I litterally spent entire days throwing in an empty field throwing and then all night reading forums and articles and watching videos. I was laid off so I was making the best of my time. I realized during that year and a half that throwing far is all about technique and understanding how your body works.

There isn't as much about forehand and I want to be able to do it. The clinic video featuring Hokom helped a lot but I want more. especially since I don't have as much free time anymore. I also don't have a background in baseball.

I don't have a back ground in baseball, am 5'11'' and never practice forehand in the field. It just clicked for me I guess. I have always just had it, but stayed away from using it too much in fear of becoming one dimensional.

So a rule of thumb I found is "every 1 foot of elevation change is 3 foot of relative distance" so 30' downhill elevation change knocks a relative 90' off distance? Whereas 30' uphill would add 90' of relative distance?

How accurate is this? I found it on the PDGA forum through a Google search. What's the science behind it? If this does play out to be pretty accurate in "most" disc golf situations, this will really help me on the course.

:I understand this is off topic, but we are talking about the most talked about "over the lake tosses" so it is "kind of" on topic :)

Then i found another site (a ball golf site) that shows it's more along the lines of 1-1. (they had 20yd increase in elevation made it play 20yds further , and 20yd decrease was 20 yards shorter.)

i believe chuck came up with the 3-1 approximation. i have found it to be fairly accurate when designing courses.