• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] LAT64 disillusionment

I love Lat 64!

I think GL is the best plastic as far as grip and durability. I see alot of people saying that the grip isn't so sweet but I've never had trouble with it. Also, I've hit many of trees with my GL discs and I still have yet to see a ding.

I currently throw a GL River, Striker, XXX and Halo. The River will never be taken out of my bag because it's my favorite disc. The Striker is up there as well because I feel so comfortable with it. I use the XXX as a utility as well (skip shots, forehands).

My buddy throws an opto Fuse and that thing is sweet. You barely have to throw it and it glides straight as hell. I'm definitely going to get one of those soon.

I think they are just a good all around company that can hang with Innova or Discraft anyday.

Ive switched to all Lat64. Its taken a few months, at least 6, of buying one here and there, replacing one i just lost cuz I hadnt figured it out quite yet, but Ive finally taken out all Innova and Discraft. I love the feel of the plastic, especially the newest runs my LPS got in this week. Picked up my 4th striker and 1st riot. The grip is amazing and my striker is the brightest orange Ive seen Lat64 produce. Been throwing the fuse for some time now and its the straightest and farthest flying disc with very minimal power ive ever come by. Release on a slight hyzer and it will flatten out and go dead straight or flip into a slight anny with more power. Only disc ive tried out and havent liked is the blitz. not a fan of the sharp rim, i cant hold onto it right and i get no distance forehand or backhand.

Ive been seeing many people playing with Lat64 the last 2 or 3 months. Ive run into 2 others that are throwing nearly all Lat64, with the except of a boss in one bag and a semi beat in kc pro roc in the other, discs that they just didnt quite want to let go of yet. Theres at least 1 or more Lat discs in most of my friends bags, after i let them throw some of mine and they went out buying :)
I do have a few buddies who have tried out Lat plastic, liked it, but still went back to their old discs. Most of them have been playing 5-15 years and theyre stuck in their old ways. Got me a few discs out of some trading to them :thmbup:
all in all IMO Lat64 is here to stay and will only become more popular

I love my Lat64 stuff, the 172 opto river has become my goto driver, a GL compliment, 2 strikers, and pures have greatly improved my putting game. I have a fairly stable champ leopard I keep around and keep throwing hoping to beat it in, and it's good for long straight shots, but I'm fairly sure visions will kicking that out of the bag once I get them dyed and get my hyzer flip dialed in. I agree with older opto colors not being bright enough, but that's been changing like el-kabong mentioned. I haven't fallen in love with the core I've thrown but a fuse is next on my list. Between that and the MVP axis, I think the buzz and beat roc are in danger though.

I think the masses of players who have dropped lat64 must have seen the word lat64 in this thread title and quivered and simply ignored this thread and all the lat64 whores saw it and came out of the woodwork.

I understand the love for lat64....its quality, durable, and flies like nothing else

Perhaps for me thats the problem....the empty inner lip, the seemingly endless glide that was tough to gauge, the sudden turn when I wanted straight (striker, core etc) the sudden straight when I wnted turn (fuse)
I really tried to like the stuff, I was sick of Innova's inconsistencies and was confused by all the different types of plastic Discraft had.
I threw a vision, striker, riot, halo, core, fuse

All gave me some exciting success early on...but again due to poor visibility, uncomfortable rim, finicky flightpaths, and gliding past my target ( not just 10 feet past more like off a cliff or into a lake often by more than 75 ft where I thought the disc would go)

You see for me and for many I have talked to the discs are amazing but also have do amazingly strange things

That glidiness goodness that seems to defy physics was the final straw for me......watched my fuse just keep going too many times leaving me with another approach or long putt

I feel like I'm trolling since this thread has become a defense of LAT64 and I'm somehow the jerk ....lol...but I know more than one who has dumped all of their LAT64.
I still think the putters and XXX are winners though

for the record
HALO=suddenly turned over and flew off a mountain...flew about 800 ft never to be seen again
FUSE=too much glide to safely approach with (best anny disc I ever threw)
Striker=I was told an easier to throw T-Bird with more glide...T-Birds don't turn my Striker did
RIOT=nothing special might try it for forehand?
CORE=Again too much glide and turn to be reliable for me
VISION=insane glide but I prefer the sidewinder in this slot especially sine I can get em in bright pink

I know the PAIN, HAVOV, FLOW, RIVER and newer LAT64s discs may be better discs but I ended my experiment and have returned to being an INNOVA SLUT...hope you LAT64 WHORES can understand.

This thread title is pretty overdramatic. Disillusionment suggests something somehow appears better than it is, but proves without value to merit those appearances. I think Lat64 has shown a lot of dedication and ambition to make great discs, not only that, they've helped another manufacturer get their legs (Westside) when they can barely run their own discs fast enough to keep them on the shelves. Sure, if I was part of their company I would have urged them to get better colors/work on consistency before I pumped out so many new molds, but I see these as minor issues that I believe they will improve on.

As far as complaining that their discs glide more than those of other companies...I remember when I started playing there were people who thought the same about the new Valkyrie...The first pro I met said CE plastic was slick glideless garbage and it would never catch on...Not everyone can be forward thinking I guess. Some will stick with whatever plastic they learned the sport with just as others want to try whatever is new. Personally I'm cool with glide, especially when stability is not sacrificed. Sure I overthrew some shots with my River when I first got it, but I saw the potential and I adjusted to it. Now I don't overthrow my River...instead, when I throw a QJLS or Stalker (the discs I used for that slot before I used the River) they feel glideless and like I have to throw them too hard. I'm more accurate with the River because of the glide.

I can also say that at the Clearwater Disc Golf Store we are selling more Lat64 than ever before. It's even been outselling Discraft lately (no joke), so that suggests that there are not "masses" who are dropping their discs but rather the opposite.

Discspeed...in a way thats my point
I was having trouble dialing in the LAT64 and then when it was time to throw my other discs I felt like my entire game was in jeopardy due to adjustments made to snap/form to throw swedish....maybe I just cut my losses early

They do amazing things ...but not for me

Excuse my semantics and my drama...but round these parts the initial euphoria has waned with the more experienced players and I notice newer players tend to throw more LAT64.....which is interesting and good for the company as brand loyalty is essential to establishing a foothold

Discspeed...in a way thats my point
I was having trouble dialing in the LAT64 and then when it was time to throw my other discs I felt like my entire game was in jeopardy due to adjustments made to snap/form to throw swedish....maybe I just cut my losses early

They do amazing things ...but not for me

Most of the Lat discs are rated at a pretty darn high speed. I picked the River because it was listed at a 7 speed, 7 glide, straight-line driver.

I don't have the arm to throw anything faster than a 10, so I refrained from buying any of the other drivers in the Lat line up. That being said, I've given the River as much snap as I could, and I've never turned it over. I only throw it on 400'+ holes, so I've never overthrown a target (again, I don't have a huge arm).

I've been pleased. But my sample size of their plastic is pretty small.

I think once you get good enough at following your disc where it lands, noting surrounding landmarks, and not throwing again have a very big impact on wether or not you find a lost disc.

Even if your throw is in the fairway you should always pay attention to where it lands, if it cut rolled or skipped, or took a late kick off a tree.

I'm am finding that color is having less and less effect on if I find my disc or not.

Now also understand that this does not apply if your course is covered with leaves or you are playing in a couple feet of snow. Even then, I think color of the disc is out the window for the most part.

i was never gaga over the Lat64 and Westside stuff. they make great discs, but their availability in the states blows. i dont mind buying my first one from online but after that i want to pick through a bin to find the specific disc im looking for. so i took them out for discs i can find at my local stores and tournaments.
also, Lat64 has got some CRAZY inconsistencies. ive had a chance to throw 4 different Flows, not one of them flew anything like the others. the plastic feel was consistent tho so i cant say why. the cores ive thrown have also been goofy like the flows. the only disc i found consistency in was pures.

I think the masses of players who have dropped lat64 must have seen the word lat64 in this thread title and quivered and simply ignored this thread and all the lat64 whores saw it and came out of the woodwork.

I understand the love for lat64....its quality, durable, and flies like nothing else

Perhaps for me thats the problem....the empty inner lip, the seemingly endless glide that was tough to gauge, the sudden turn when I wanted straight (striker, core etc) the sudden straight when I wnted turn (fuse)
I really tried to like the stuff, I was sick of Innova's inconsistencies and was confused by all the different types of plastic Discraft had.
I threw a vision, striker, riot, halo, core, fuse

All gave me some exciting success early on...but again due to poor visibility, uncomfortable rim, finicky flightpaths, and gliding past my target ( not just 10 feet past more like off a cliff or into a lake often by more than 75 ft where I thought the disc would go)

You see for me and for many I have talked to the discs are amazing but also have do amazingly strange things

That glidiness goodness that seems to defy physics was the final straw for me......watched my fuse just keep going too many times leaving me with another approach or long putt

I feel like I'm trolling since this thread has become a defense of LAT64 and I'm somehow the jerk ....lol...but I know more than one who has dumped all of their LAT64.
I still think the putters and XXX are winners though

for the record
HALO=suddenly turned over and flew off a mountain...flew about 800 ft never to be seen again
FUSE=too much glide to safely approach with (best anny disc I ever threw)
Striker=I was told an easier to throw T-Bird with more glide...T-Birds don't turn my Striker did
RIOT=nothing special might try it for forehand?
CORE=Again too much glide and turn to be reliable for me
VISION=insane glide but I prefer the sidewinder in this slot especially sine I can get em in bright pink

I know the PAIN, HAVOV, FLOW, RIVER and newer LAT64s discs may be better discs but I ended my experiment and have returned to being an INNOVA SLUT...hope you LAT64 WHORES can understand.

Well...at least now your reasons for dumping the brand are clear (as clear as opto). And I cotta admit that I agree with almost everything you said about striker, riot, vision and halo. Striker is far more like an eagle/teebird blend than a teebird. If you had started this thread with the above post, this Lat hooer woulda just nodded in agreement (for the most part). I have experienced many of the same issues with the same molds you are describing. Some didn't make the bag, some found a niche (striker).

I still don't understand how glide hurt your game, but everyone is different.

And I gotta add that I own and throw a TON of Innova too...i throw what works, regardless of the stamp on top

I still don't understand how glide hurt your game, but everyone is different.

many people like discs with little glide, especially approach discs. i am one of them. the main reason for me is that I control the entire flight. the disc only goes as far as the effort i put into it and then drops fast. this makes for great consistency and accuracy.
however, a glide disc in this situation will go as far as i put it and then continue to glide farther. this can cause alot of issues if youre not dialed into it. and personally i find it extremely inconsistent but accurate. (look up precision vs accuracy if this causes confusion for you)

I understand it perfectly.

Sometimes the shot calls for glide sometimes not. But it all comes down to knowing your discs and your game.

I don't go buy a fuse and then get on here and slag it because I needed it to be a rhyno. The fuse is advertised to have high glide, most reviews of it mention high glide. So guess what: it has high glide.

I wish I was a Lat64 whore but unfortunately I pay them for their discs. :( ;)

The glide vs approach thing strikes me as kind of funny. I've had generally no problems floating my Fuse at the basket and landing in putting range but approaching the basket is my putter's job so really my Fuse is used off the tee more than anything. But the idea that you can't have full control of a disc's flight b/c it glides is ludicrous to me, you can't fully control the flight of a lid or catch disc?

The lat64 disc I've been disillusioned with is my Opto River. I've come to the conclusion that it's not adept at shaping lines, it's a free spirit that wants to go straight and glide for many feet.

The Opto Core I have is junk in my opinion, I don't see the love for those at all. Really thin rim and doesn't like to hold a hyzer or anhyzer, if it's anything but flat it just seems to drop like a wounded chicken.

...also, Lat64 has got some CRAZY inconsistencies. ive had a chance to throw 4 different Flows, not one of them flew anything like the others....

For some reason, Flows may be the most inconsistent mold from disc to disc I've ever seen. Its the one flaw in its awesomeness.
Luckily you can judge their stability by PLH and dome fairly easily once you have a reference flow. They vary so much that I carry 2-3.

...The lat64 disc I've been disillusioned with is my Opto River. I've come to the conclusion that it's not adept at shaping lines, it's a free spirit that wants to go straight and glide for many feet.

The Opto Core I have is junk in my opinion, I don't see the love for those at all. Really thin rim and doesn't like to hold a hyzer or anhyzer, if it's anything but flat it just seems to drop like a wounded chicken.

I agree the River is like the teebird of understable discs.. just really good at straight or holding a slight turn.
And I agree with the Core; there are just many better discs.

I didn't read any posts besides the op, but I was never really too impressed with lat 64 and they don't fit my playstyle at all. Most of their discs are built to glide as opposed to cut through the air and I find discs like that are hard to range and are worse in the wind. I have also had a ton of inconsistency issues with lat64 making it so I won't order them online, but they are not available locally really so therefore I don't throw them. I am glad they exist, but I won't be throwing any of their discs unless something new that fits my playstyle comes out.

I think once you get good enough at following your disc where it lands, noting surrounding landmarks, and not throwing again have a very big impact on wether or not you find a lost disc.

Even if your throw is in the fairway you should always pay attention to where it lands, if it cut rolled or skipped, or took a late kick off a tree.

I'm am finding that color is having less and less effect on if I find my disc or not.

Now also understand that this does not apply if your course is covered with leaves or you are playing in a couple feet of snow. Even then, I think color of the disc is out the window for the most part.

Well said! Most people tend to look away too early on bad shots or no one is spotting on a blind fairway... not a color issue found many CLEAR and green ones, right where we saw them drop.

I find that color only matters on how long it takes to find a disc. I threw my clear yellow core into some bushes that had the sun glaring on them, making the bushes the same exact color as my core. It took about 5 minutes to find it (damn discs that stand on edge), but you will hardly lose discs if stare at where they are going all the way to the ground. I have only lost two discs this year; one was in the water and the other was a bad shot over hill into a forest that couldn't be seen from the teepad.

Latest posts