• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy Discs 5th Release "The Ghost"

Yea the first run Gravity I felt were almost identical to r-pro. Super floppy but grippy. The current run ghosts are stiffer but still quite grippy.

Is it softer than Excel as well?

All three of mine are firm but really grippy. Like a really good blend of firm JK Pro.

Send lion a PM and ask him if he has any firmer Gravity Ghosts. That's where I've gotten almost all of my Legacy plastic.

Well, I have been considering moving to a roc/Comet combo but ordered a Pinnacle ghost instead. thoughts? You think a new Pinnacle plus an excel to beat in would be a good combo with comets? I only ever threw a Pinnacle ghost like twice, so...I don't really remember what to expect other than the slick plastic I initially did not like. How does a Pinnacle ghost stack against a roc? I've never thrown a roc...

I would prefer a pinnacle with a gravity, but the excel is cheap so no reason not to try it out.

Well, I have been considering moving to a roc/Comet combo but ordered a Pinnacle ghost instead. thoughts? You think a new Pinnacle plus an excel to beat in would be a good combo with comets? I only ever threw a Pinnacle ghost like twice, so...I don't really remember what to expect other than the slick plastic I initially did not like. How does a Pinnacle ghost stack against a roc? I've never thrown a roc...

The 177 Pinnacle Ghost I threw last fall at ~300 was very straight and workable. It held hyzer lines well and could also be flexed a bit for more distance. Glide was very good for a heavy premium plastic mid. Rancho Rocs might have a tick more HSS, but definitely fade more than a Pin Ghost.
You're probably going to get some overlap with a beat excel Ghost and Comet, unless the Comets you throw tend to be very flippy.

The 177 Pinnacle Ghost I threw last fall at ~300 was very straight and workable. It held hyzer lines well and could also be flexed a bit for more distance. Glide was very good for a heavy premium plastic mid. Rancho Rocs might have a tick more HSS, but definitely fade more than a Pin Ghost.
You're probably going to get some overlap with a beat excel Ghost and Comet, unless the Comets you throw tend to be very flippy.

It sounds like this may not be the ideal setup, then. I throw a light and a heavy x Comet. They both do everything I want them to do, especially in the woods, but obviously sometimes I want to rip on it. Basically was hoping for something that could fight wind out of the box yet still be a workhorse and use the same disc in a different plastic to beat to straight and then cover the rest with my comets.

Oh well; we will see!

picked up a slightly used excel ghost today, actually. 5$, i can dig it. it is only 171g and yeah, it's pretty similar to a comet but not as good. :p i'll be waiting on my pinnacle and probably picking up a gravity.

It sounds like this may not be the ideal setup, then. I throw a light and a heavy x Comet. They both do everything I want them to do, especially in the woods, but obviously sometimes I want to rip on it. Basically was hoping for something that could fight wind out of the box yet still be a workhorse and use the same disc in a different plastic to beat to straight and then cover the rest with my comets.

Oh well; we will see!

Well the first part describes a Pinnacle Ghost to the tee, and the second part a Gravity. The advantage I see of carrying Comets too is that Ghosts in base plastic beat in to the sweet spot quickly and stay there for a while, without getting truly flippy. A Comet, on the other hand, can most definitely cover the understable duties easier.

Basically what I had in mind, except I use my Comet a lot for straight duties too. It sounds almost like a teebird-eagle, pd-olf situation. the Comet holds the line more and the ghost will shape them easier. I'm sure between the ghost and comet I can have all lines covered. It's just a matter of figuring out which plastics and whatnot I need. :)

snagged a gravity ghost, held off on the icon.

the excel was disappointing, it is a first run and had more dome. i was browsing through the gravity ghosts at one of my local retailers and saw they had first runs and second. i briefly took out all four (two first run and two production run) and immediately saw a difference. they were all in the same weight range and all orange.

the two first runs had much more of a dome and a significantly lower PLH. the two production runs had a bit of a shoulder but a flat top. they feel much better in the hand and it is easier to release. i snagged one and headed to the course.

perfect. exactly the perfect stability i was looking for. it held its own into a mild headwind, 10-15 mph, without flipping, but it's not at all beefy either. just good HSS and a long gentle fade. i didn't throw it very far, just 280', but i was very happy. it went straight and died, fading about 10' and plopped itself down under the basket. i flexed it out on an anny line that pulled out perfectly on a 280' uphill shot after that and put it 10 feet from the basket. it is the perfect combination of glide and stability. it GOES. i kicked a couple trees and there's not even a mark. the grip is fantastic. i nearly put it in the basket twice while i was practicing with it on random holes. the comet and the ghost are a great pair. they like to be thrown similarly. nice and smooth acceleration, some height and they behave themselves so very well. my bag is starting to follow a bit of a pattern - the wizard likes the same treatment.

i don't even feel like i need my pinnacle, though i am sure it will be a little more overstable which will be welcome. obviously today i was throwing well, but with this and the patriot in my bag i can definitely say i am throwing with confidence. :)

Last edited:
snagged a gravity ghost, held off on the icon.

the excel was disappointing, it is a first run and had more dome. i was browsing through the gravity ghosts at one of my local retailers and saw they had first runs and second. i briefly took out all four (two first run and two production run) and immediately saw a difference. they were all in the same weight range and all orange.

the two first runs had much more of a dome and a significantly lower PLH. the two production runs had a bit of a shoulder but a flat top. they feel much better in the hand and it is easier to release. i snagged one and headed to the course.

perfect. exactly the perfect stability i was looking for. it held its own into a mild headwind, 10-15 mph, without flipping, but it's not at all beefy either. just good HSS and a long gentle fade. i didn't throw it very far, just 280', but i was very happy. it went straight and died, fading about 10' and plopped itself down under the basket. i flexed it out on an anny line that pulled out perfectly on a 280' uphill shot after that and put it 10 feet from the basket. it is the perfect combination of glide and stability. it GOES. i kicked a couple trees and there's not even a mark. the grip is fantastic. i nearly put it in the basket twice while i was practicing with it on random holes. the comet and the ghost are a great pair. they like to be thrown similarly. nice and smooth acceleration, some height and they behave themselves so very well. my bag is starting to follow a bit of a pattern - the wizard likes the same treatment.

i don't even feel like i need my pinnacle, though i am sure it will be a little more overstable which will be welcome. obviously today i was throwing well, but with this and the patriot in my bag i can definitely say i am throwing with confidence. :)

Glad you're happy. It's a great disc, and despite the softness of the plastic, it beats in very gradually and evenly to become super straight.

Glad you're happy. It's a great disc, and despite the softness of the plastic, it beats in very gradually and evenly to become super straight.

me too! it will be the perfect spot for my comets to take over, hopefully not developing much turn before losing the fade. it's already very versatile IMO. it will be the perfect spot for my comets to take over.

figured i'd upload a couple pics illustrating the difference between the FR excel (i think the ghost stamp means it's FR, right?) and the production run gravity. the FR gravity in the shop were nearly IDENTICAL to my FR excel in PLH and dome. the production run gravity felt much better. and i assume it flies better too. :D

DSC_0147_zpsge5v0kvn.jpg

DSC_0148_zpsxxjdtxkl.jpg

you can see the difference is significant. my excel felt squirrelly and sometimes would be straight, sometimes would turn and fade, exacerbated by the big dome which made it harder to grip/release properly.

In my opinion the Icon is probably what you're looking for instead of the Pinnacle. The Icon flies like a very stable gravity, a lot more fade, maybe the same hss. The Pinnacle on the other hand flew closer to a buzz or Roc3 to me. VERY hss and not as much fade. So the Icon is more like a Ghost IMO. Gravity is awesome, amazing grip and great stability. And I've been very pleasantly surprised by the Excel. It beat it VERY fast and I thought it was going to be junk. Then it stopped beating in (noticeably) and is now just a dead straight flier. No turn, no fade. Flies a lot like a heavy Z Comet. Love me some Ghosts!

In my opinion the Icon is probably what you're looking for instead of the Pinnacle. The Icon flies like a very stable gravity, a lot more fade, maybe the same hss. The Pinnacle on the other hand flew closer to a buzz or Roc3 to me. VERY hss and not as much fade. So the Icon is more like a Ghost IMO. Gravity is awesome, amazing grip and great stability. And I've been very pleasantly surprised by the Excel. It beat it VERY fast and I thought it was going to be junk. Then it stopped beating in (noticeably) and is now just a dead straight flier. No turn, no fade. Flies a lot like a heavy Z Comet. Love me some Ghosts!

yeah, the excel seems pretty darn bulletproof considering it's "base" plastic! it's awesome. at some point i'll go snag a production run that's closer in PLH/dome to my gravity and see what's up.

as far as the icon goes, i'm not sure! i'm looking more for a reliable workhorse so we'll see, i typically just disc up a bit for the beefy OS mid slot. maybe i can find someone who will let me throw one around here.

yeah, the excel seems pretty darn bulletproof considering it's "base" plastic! it's awesome. at some point i'll go snag a production run that's closer in PLH/dome to my gravity and see what's up.

as far as the icon goes, i'm not sure! i'm looking more for a reliable workhorse so we'll see, i typically just disc up a bit for the beefy OS mid slot. maybe i can find someone who will let me throw one around here.
Have any DGA breakers? I have a black 177g+ Icon Ghost (thrown 3-5 rounds) I'd be willing to trade.

I found the pinnacle ghost to be a nice trusty fading mid with wind. Still haven't worked the excel or gravity, the icon was nice, but wasn't what I was looking for. I also throw rocs, and wasn't needing a straight or turnover disc at this time