• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Leopard replacement

Hadouken

I recently lost or misplaced my PFN champ leopard and I'm looking for suggestions for a possible replacement that is not OOP. I liked the feel of that older gummy/softer champ style plastic for this particular disc. I'd prefer for the replacement to be on the gummy side if possible. This particular leopard was fairly US with excellent glide. I tried a patriot but i found them to be a bit too firm and slightly more stable than the leopard i had. I'd prefer an out of the box replacement not a disc i'd need to break in too much if possible.
I was thinking maybe a Gstar Leo?

VIP or Tournament Hatchet. It is faster, but holds the same lines as a Leopard. It is one of my favorite discs to throw.

After reading what you wrote, I'd still say patriot in pinnacle. I know you mentioned they are super firm. But, they make a gummy run and they are typically a milky white to yellow and in lighter weights around 167g and gummy/fingerprinty goodness!

Thank me later.

Or not, and I'll buy them all sooner or later...

How about a River in Frost plastic? Frost might give a similar feel but it was a little more stable than my GL Rivers ( at the same weight 170 ).

I have never thrown an Opto version, so I cannot compare the two.

Last edited:
The Underworld replaced my Leopards... somehow. I didnt think Id ever replace those. I still love the Leopard but Im more consistent with the UW

The Underworld replaced my Leopards... somehow. I didnt think Id ever replace those. I still love the Leopard but Im more consistent with the UW

I could see this too. But the GL isn't super gummy, just kinda. Flight wise, yes.

I could see this too. But the GL isn't super gummy, just kinda. Flight wise, yes.

You mean TP? No, the TP isnt that gummy. Grippy, but not gummy. The Elasto is though. I cant speak to its flight, but imagine it would still do well

How about a River in Frost plastic? Frost might give a similar feel but it was a little more stable than my GL Rivers ( at the same weight 170 ).

I have never thrown an Opto version, so I cannot compare the two.

I thought frost (while it felt amazing) was quite a bit more stable than OPTO. I know that because I'm not perfect what I'm about to say (hold on to your seats) may sound crazy... But my teebird and frost river were very similar in flight. The frost would maybe fade just a tad less...

I use comet, Avenger ss, and heat for understable duties. Leopard sits somewhere between comet and Avenger ss in terms of speed though

I thought frost (while it felt amazing) was quite a bit more stable than OPTO. I know that because I'm not perfect what I'm about to say (hold on to your seats) may sound crazy... But my teebird and frost river were very similar in flight. The frost would maybe fade just a tad less...

I use comet, Avenger ss, and heat for understable duties. Leopard sits somewhere between comet and Avenger ss in terms of speed though

Not saying your wrong, I just had different experiences. My Frost River flew more or less the same as my 3 GLs. I will say that the Frost I have has noticeably more dome to it.

More Leopards. A Pro to season quickly, and another Champ to start working in for the long term.

I switched from Leopard to VIP Underworld. It's very understable tho, much more so than the Leopard. I actually wanted a disc that flew like a perfectly seasoned DX Leopard and the Underworld does that. It's hyzer flip to turnover at 300 feet levels of understable. It has INSANE glide, I'd give it a glide of 7 instead of the billed 6

If you want gummy, a GStar Leopard ought to do ya.

I do have an Opto River, and it feels like relatively soft Champion plastic, so you might like it. It's a bit more stable than the Leopard and has more glide, but should beat in over time to be more Leopard-like. I have not tried the Frost plastic, so I can't speak to it. Gold Line is more like Star plastic, and might be a bit more firm than you're looking for.

The Liquid Metal Flatline is a really good leopard ish disc.

Also the G* are closeish.

Get the proto star, gstar Leo. Mine flew exactly like my pre Barry champ (new to new comparison) and that particular run of gstar (non pearly w/flecks) is very durable. Mine has lost maybe .5 HSS in a year and I throw it at least 5x a week.

OOP I know but still affordable.

Latest posts