• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

List your top 5 favorite courses

I haven't updated my review of the Canyons yet. I've got it as a 4.0 based on the original 18 hole layout with only one set of concrete tees. I've finally played all of the longs and all of the alternate pins. I need to update my review to reflect those upgrades plus the extra 9 holes. I'll be giving it a 4.5 whenever I get around to doing that, but I need to rewrite my entire review since so much has changed.

I'd be interested in seeing an updated review. I'm going to try and play Canyons in the next 6 months.

I looked through my courses played and these were the 5 that stood out in my memory. Apparently I prefer long, hilly, & tightly wooded courses.

Idlewild (KY)
Flip City (MI)
Orange Crush (WV)
Bailey (CO)
Holler In the Hills (KY-R.I.P.)

Can't remember if I posted in here or not...Had a really fun, solid round yesterday that made me think of this thread. I haven't played enough out-of-state courses to have a well-rounded list, but here are mine for today.

1. Camp Canaan (Rock Hill, SC)
2. Hornet's Nest (CLT, NC)
3. Rolling Pines (Wilkesboro, NC)
4. Little Mulberry (Dacula, GA)
5. RL Smith (CLT, NC)

Updated:

Nevin (Charlotte, NC)
Cedar Hill (Nashville, TN)
Tyger Creek (Reidville, SC)
Flip City (Shelby, MI)
Langley Pond (Warrenville, SC)

Nevinssss (Charlotte, NC)
Renny Gold (Charlotte, NC)
Cedar Hills (Nashville, TN)
Langley Pond (Augusta, GA)
Flip City (Shelby, MI)

Contenders for the top 5 (might change tomorrow):

Hawk Hollow VA
Maple Hill MA
Harmon Hills TN
Nockamixon PA
Bucksnort CO
Whippin' Post WV
Moraine PA
Idlewild KY
Muddy Run PA
Milo (Riverbend) OR

In no particular order.

Oregon Park - Marietta, GA: I live a mile away and have played it hundreds of times. It's a solid course, nothing spectacular, but it's where I learned the game and I have countless memories of different milestones as my game has improved. Wide open spaces for the dog to run. :)
Hobbs Farm - Carrollton, GA: Best course I've played in Georgia by far. Diverse and challenging layout, meticulously maintained, all infrastructure like bridges, catwalks, signs, benches, teepads all top-notch. John Houck design.
Veterans Memorial Park - Bridgeport, CT: I get to play this very underrated course whenever I go to visit my parents. Mostly wooded with lots of variety and elevation changes. It's unexpected to find such a well-designed and maintained course in Bridgeport. And it's in a beautiful old hardwood forest with lots of massive oaks, babbling creeks and jagged outcroppings of granite to navigate.
Perkerson Park - Atlanta: Huge city park in a sketchy part of town where some dedicated volunteers carved out a stellar course. It's massive, mostly wooded, with lots of variety and great use of elevation. The kind of course where you'll throw everything in your bag.
Steady Ed Memorial - Appling, GA: Another well-designed and maintained, huge, diverse course, mostly wooded, with portions playing along a gorgeous lake. This is considered the "fun" course of the 3 at the IDGC, still really challenging but accessible for us mortals.

Honorable mention:
Sedgeley Woods - Philadelphia: One of the old Steady Ed designed courses from the 70's with a huge and active membership. Home course of my friend Jim who taught me the game. Mostly tight and technical, most holes on the shorter side but it's been expanded to 27 holes. Might be the most unique course I've played.
East Roswell Park - Roswell, GA: Just a fun little course that I enjoy playing some weekends. Some forgettable holes and some really tight & challenging ones.
Harmony Bends - Columbia, MO: Highest rated course on this site last I checked. It would probably make my top 5 if I could play it regularly. The day I was there, I did not bring my A game and got eaten alive. Playing this course under par would feel like an achievement.
Richmond Hill - Asheville, NC: Beautiful property up in the mountains. Crazy steep hills throughout but still a blast to play.
Disc Side of Heaven - Jonesboro, AR: Aptly named, as it's one of the most stunningly beautiful places I've ever seen. It's also insanely long and difficult and not a course I could play on the regular. But I was there on the Monday morning after the J'Boro Open in perfect sunny weather without another soul around except Steve Dodge and crew cleaning up the tents and whatnot, and I felt privileged to be there just to take it all in and take a million pics.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. That's why I keep posting "If I could play 5 today"

And today(in no particular order) they'd be...

Pocatello Sunshine North - Pocatello, ID
Bear Mountain(unlisted outside of Denver)
Nevin Park - Charlotte, NC
Whistler's Bend - Roseburg, OR
The Fort(18) - Ogden, UT

Been a hot minute. Today I'd like to play...

Milo - Its Beaver State week, duh
Highbridge Gold - Woooo HBH!
Four Mound - Cape Fear - They just had their major Tourney and I'm guessing its primed
Bucksnort - Cuz Bucksnort
Swards Ranch West - I TD'd the tourney this year, barely played the courses out there at all, and it's 75 and sunny out today while I sit at my computer and grind away...

1. Cotswold View https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9936
2. Bedworth https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7063
3. Felin Geri - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=10810
4. Mendips - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6922
5. Toss up between Longford Park and Quarry Park https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8101 https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2398

Of extinct courses Cold Ashby golf course and Tilney Longs would both be in there in the top 3.

places 2 - 5 are all interchangeable from day to day for me, each has different challenges and fun. #1 is my absolute happy place.

Deer Lakes- Tarentum, PA
Iron Hill- Newark, DE
Rockness Monster- Roxboro, NC
Harmon Hills- Falls Branch, TN
Ashe County- Jefferson, NC or Rolling Pines- Wilkesboro, NC