• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Make My Disc More Stable

RC51ManSam

What kind of ways can I make a disc more stable? Will taking the dome of the disc and making it flat or collapsed make it more stable?

Say more overstable. You won't get as many people telling you why that's the right or wrong way of saying it.

Sometimes flat topping a disc can make it more overstable. It can also make it illegal for tournament play, even though the manufacturers do it to their own discs sometimes. It's silly. You can do it and not talk about it. It's like Fight Club. Just don't brag about flat topping and who can prove it?

That said. Don't flat top. Just look for the discs you like and get backups of them.

Figured I'd just knock out a Tuning Basics for this one... better than 10 paragraphs. :hfive:

Any Q's lemme know... feel free to prerube me and/or quote this post in a relevant thread.

tuningup.jpg

Zam's pics aren't showing up on this computer right now, but I'm pretty sure this is tuning tutorial. I haven't tried it, but apparently this works really well.

Dying a disc ultimately adds weight. More weight= more stability, and you get a cool design or different color disc :)

Bigsky's post of Zams' is basically spot on.. The only other thing you can do to a disc really that may impact the flight for additional stability would be to add or remove dome on a disc. Some molds respond better to this than others and there are many threads on here covering the topic. Generally more dome = more "overstable" or more low speed fade really. ZJ also is right regarding weight, but some people think max weight means more overstable..?

Tuning is probably the easiest way. I'd experiment with it using discs you aren't super attached to because it can take some practice to get it right.