• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth vs. Climo

McBeth vs. Climo

• McBeth

Votes: 192 60.4%
  • Climo

Votes: 126 39.6%

• Total voters
You're missing the point. There's no one to "play defense" or "out hit" you like there is in team sports or individual sports like tennis or racquetball, etc. No one can "stop" you from scoring in disc golf. Nothing at all. Paul can shoot the exact same on the Toboggan if only 900 players are on the course. As can Champ at Coachman

No, I got what you meant...and I still don't think that's why that phrase is something we've all heard. If it was trying to communicate that other players can't run interference, slap your putt out of the air, or tackle you on the tee pad, no one would repeat it, because...no sh*t. We wouldn't have a platitude to express that.

Other players can stop you from getting the lowest score, by getting a lower one. More players in the field capable of putting up low scores, makes it harder to win back to back Worlds. That was the point.

I am legitimately asking this because I am curious, not just to be a dick- is there anyone who was involved in disc golf in the 90's who would call Paul the GOAT? FWIW I am on board the "Paul plays at the highest level of anyone to date but Kenny is still the GOAT" train.

It's Climo for me and I'm still seeing the only people who never played back then claim McBeth is, then using the wrong opinion that Climo's competition was no where close to Paul's. Another thing they have no idea about.

Nothing to do with PMcB, but whenever these discussion take place I always think of the 2009 European Open distance competition. After the International team beat the US 3-2, Ken Climo (presumably irked at being left off the US team) stepped up and went 3 for 3.

He scored more in 3 throws than Dave Feldberg, Avery Jenkins, and Nate Doss scored in 6 throws.

I'll probably screw up the YouTube imbed, but fast forward to 4:45 if you are impatient.

No, I got what you meant...and I still don't think that's why that phrase is something we've all heard. If it was trying to communicate that other players can't run interference, slap your putt out of the air, or tackle you on the tee pad, no one would repeat it, because...no sh*t. We wouldn't have a platitude to express that.

Other players can stop you from getting the lowest score, by getting a lower one. More players in the field capable of putting up low scores, makes it harder to win back to back Worlds. That was the point.

Well, we can just agree to disagree. You're totally missing what I am saying. NO one can PREVENT YOU from being the best. Not in any era. It's a sport without defense. It's not a race. No direct competition. It's diving not swimming.

I am legitimately asking this because I am curious, not just to be a dick- is there anyone who was involved in disc golf in the 90's who would call Paul the GOAT? FWIW I am on board the "Paul plays at the highest level of anyone to date but Kenny is still the GOAT" train.

No.

But that could be for the same reason everyone thinks the music of their youth was the best ever.

And as I've said before, most also see "the best era" of every sport as the one when they themselves were in their prime. Biscoe I might also add, as a "corollary" to your question, who was "the greatest disc golfer" of the 2000s decade? It looks like you're leaving one out, if you're comparing (or think others are comparing) the 1990s to the 2010s.

And as I've said before, most also see "the best era" of every sport as the one when they themselves were in their prime. Biscoe I might also add, as a "corollary" to your question, who was "the greatest disc golfer" of the 2000s decade? It looks like you're leaving one out, if you're comparing (or think others are comparing) the 1990s to the 2010s.

I was not making a comparison of decades at all. I was merely trying to gain some perspective on this "argument." Off the top of my head I would say Kenny was the best of the 2000's ahead of Nate and Barry.

Nothing to do with PMcB, but whenever these discussion take place I always think of the 2009 European Open distance competition. After the International team beat the US 3-2, Ken Climo (presumably irked at being left off the US team) stepped up and went 3 for 3.

He scored more in 3 throws than Dave Feldberg, Avery Jenkins, and Nate Doss scored in 6 throws.

I'll probably screw up the YouTube imbed, but fast forward to 4:45 if you are impatient.

Do you know how far this shot was? 375ish?

With Star Wraiths as well.

I'm guessing the other guys were throwing Destroyers.

That was more of an accuracy contest. Avery was throwing spike hyzers.

Yeah. Those "weak" 400-420 footers weren't impressive at all.

I was commenting that some of the players (much younger than Climo), were coming up short on their throws, while Climo reached the green 3 of 3 times.

Someone in this thread posted that he thought Climo only threw 350 feet. This video, kinda shows why Climo was the champ, imo.

Someone in this thread posted that he thought Climo only threw 350 feet. This video, kinda shows why Climo was the champ, imo.

Never once said he maxed out @ 350. I said I couldn't find anything with him throwing past 350ish. Maybe my choice of words should have been "I couldn't find anything with him needing to throw much further than 350ish." My point which I still stand on is, players now days need to throw further than in Climo's time if they want to win. Throwing down hill can easily add 50-70ft to your drive, so Ken nailing those 3 drives @ 440+ feet doesn't surprise me at all. Climo's controlled mid ranges throws from 350ft in imop was one of the reasons he was so dominant.

In this thread Chuck Kennedy goes on to say this was typical of Ken's distance, but he also said he did a 360 during non game and threw close to 500ft. So yes.. Ken Climo could throw past 350. :)

https://www.pdga.com/discussion/archive/t-20591.html

"These are laser rangefinder measurements I made in Houston at the 2002 Pro World Championships on level, open hole #7 on the Tourney course. These are the numbers for the top 36 Open players:
Longest Drive = 477 feet
Average = 378 feet
Shortest = 300 feet
The longest throw was a roller and 14 of the 36 throws were rollers. All were righthanded backhand throws. The eventual winner, Ken Climo, threw 360 feet. It was the shortest on the top card with the longest at 408. The wind was a minimal crosswind with little impact on distance."

Never once said he maxed out @ 350. I said I couldn't find anything with him throwing past 350ish.
You must have missed this post.
attachment.php

Latest posts