• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell Glove Shoes

JR said:
JHern have you looked at the Vivobarefoot Off Roads that are water proof?

I've only seen the online photos, they don't look minimalist, or is that just an optical illusion?

Minimalism is probably somewhat individual and they are about twice to two and a half times stiffer feeling than my Vibram Komodosports when i use them with the insoles. It feels so good that i don't want to take away the insole. But there certainly exists the option to make it lighter and more tactile with the removal of the insole. See the side by the ball of the foot? It has a dip in the leather where the shoe bends without much resistance at all like a good minimalist shoe should. Backward of that it is more like a regular shoe offering more protection against stabbing. There is a fair ground feeling even with the insole. The sole is thin the lugs are 4 mm tall. That means great traction with ok feedback from the ground and you can feel some ground texture. The last is wide but not the widest with the insole because the sides curve up like Ion rim to flight plate. I got one Euro size larger than my normal size so that i could also use Seal Skinz with it. They work great with and without. I'm happy to call them minimalist enough but with the best traction across all kinds of surfaces i've met. Vibram Spyridon ain't for wet weather but on hard flat floor their traction is better thanks to a softer material and larger effective surface size from the lugs and the small texture on the lugs.

JR said:
...I'm happy to call them minimalist enough but with the best traction across all kinds of surfaces i've met...

Cool, sounds nice. I might have to try them.

JR said:
Vibram Spyridon ain't for...

Just curious, did you learn to speak/write English this way at a Finnish school?

TV. Well i learned English at school from age 9 but have read it already at age 7 and i have read a lot of books for fun and studying for a degree in English. And i despise grammar bullshit especially if it is redundant and inefficient for communication. The use of the and a are pretty useless often times because we all know what the Spyridon is it does not necessarily need a or the to go with it. I know that in proper grammar the quote you took should be The Spyridon is not good for... I'm coming from a much more efficient language and am bored by the too rigid too wordy English language and grammar. A Finnish author taught style and impact of words by showing how and why it may sometimes be a good idea to shorten the sentence it rains outside to just rains. Which is grammatically correct in Finnish.

That makes sense, I think it's great to become proficient in a language very different from one's native tongue, and Finnish is perhaps the most unique language of them all. I've only learned Español and Français, but they are not so distant from English, at least in terms of the basic latin grammatical structure and conjugation. I look forward to learning an Asian language (Japanese) in the near future, and Chinese characters.

I have to say, however, that the stylistic components of the English language (particularly the variety spoken in the USA) is very rich and extremely difficult for non-native speakers to use in a way that sounds natural. We can perceive subtle incongruities in the use of various phrases that alert us to the undeniable fact that the source is foreign. I've spent some time in Paris bars trying to teach a French person to say "motherfucker" with the attitude, depth of feeling, and intensity, of an American. No luck, thus far.

I've also learned that one can be both grammatically correct and stylistically proficient in a language, while also being concise. That's the true state-of-the-art, in any language. In American English we still love the art, even if mastery of English by most Americans is poor, and getting worse every year.

In some parts of the US chances are that you need to ask do you speak English and all you get is a blank stare or que? :-D

JR said:
In some parts of the US chances are that you need to ask do you speak English and all you get is a blank stare or que? :-D

That's why I chose Spanish as my first second language in school. In California, more people speak Spanish than any other language (including English).

So my leather glove shoes are close to the end, the soles are wearing down pretty much smooth and it will only be a matter of time before a hole is there. The rest of the shoes are in immaculate condition, I wonder if it is possible to resole these shoes? I'm going to try, either way!

In the meantime I caught a sale on Merrell Trail Barefoot shoes and they have a much more rugged sole than the leather gloves ever had, and I'm going to use these new shoes almost exclusively for disc golf. I will file a report on these in the next few days and weeks.

dgdave said:
I almost got some Glove shoes. They had really good reviews

Nice, I almost bought the last tough glove shoes I could find, but it's a little pricey ($120).

I wore these trail shoes all day today, and they are breaking in fast. They began a little tight around the forearch, but loosening up fast and now just a loose feeling grip.

jwb said:
Dumb question, do you not wear socks with these type of shoes?

I do, so I don't know what they're like with no socks. My socks are medium thick, usually firm fit, and it feels great. Like a pair of moccasins with vibram soles.

Latest posts