• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mosquitoe Report - how's it going where you are

Haven't dealt with a single mosquito yet this year here in the mountains of NC. Guessing that'll change after a week straight of rain, if it in fact ever stops raining.

Freakin terrible. Even deet won't keep the blood suckers away.

When added to the heat, humidity, poison ivy and hordes of clueless casuals it is, in total, the worst conditions of the year.

When the mosquitoes swarm onto your bag it is a very bad sign. It makes no sense to me. Do bags smell like humans or something?

They are terrible here in Minnesota , you can soak yourself with bug spray after every hole and they still find a way to get you . I agree with the above comment with our high temps in the 90's and the humidity mixed in with little wind , it has made for some crappy bug filled rounds of golf.

They are terrible here in Minnesota , you can soak yourself with bug spray after every hole and they still find a way to get you . I agree with the above comment with our high temps in the 90's and the humidity mixed in with little wind , it has made for some crappy bug filled rounds of golf.

I was at Bassett last night and they simply laughed at me when I tried applying the spray. I even tried to douse a few while they were sucking on my leg. They did not even flinch and continued sucking me dry.

Went out yesterday in Wisconsin - they hatched in the last few days - gut bit 4 times before I could get the spray on. They golfed a round with a cloud all around my face. Very annoying. Didn't get bit but crangky it was annoying.

Bad year for bugs in southern maryland,soo much rain this year. In the past i was able to keep them away with 30% deet repellent. Not this year... it's 40% or bust.

Doesn't seem any worse or better than any other year around western NY. The deer flies however. No w that's a different story altogether. A banner year for those bastards.

Yeah the flies are bad. I've got bites all over my legs and the poor dog is not happy with them either.

The mosquitoes have been miserable here in NH all spring/early summer. My home course is heavily wooded and those suckers will eat you alive. I played this past weekend at Joralemon, just South of Albany, in the sunshine midday. During the loop through the woods my whole group was getting buried by mosquitoes with 30% deet applied. It's funny though because I didn't get bit once just up the road in the heavier woods at Hyzer Creek.
Fortunately the ticks have died down here in NH. In the early spring and late fall you can expect to pull off between 4-8 ticks every single round.

Southern Maine and NH is oddly clear of mosquitos, but the ticks are out in bloodthirsty force. Got my first one at Moose Mountain the other day :thmbdown:

Edit - Apparently me and the guy above me are in two different New Hampshires! I primarily play Bellamy Park in Dover, NH and lately, Moose Mountain in Brookfield. The mosquitos are there, yes, but I've seen them MUCH worse, especially considering the humidity and rain that we've had.

like always they are awful here in upstate sc... also got bad case of chiggers last two times i have played Shaver in Seneca, SC .. be careful out there

Mosquitos are moderatley bad all around Wisconsin now, especially bad in the woods. For some reason standing rocks yesterday didn't really have hardly and mosquitos but a **** ton of buzzing flies and gnats that were distracting while trying to throw.

Edit - Apparently me and the guy above me are in two different New Hampshires! I primarily play Bellamy Park in Dover, NH and lately, Moose Mountain in Brookfield. The mosquitos are there, yes, but I've seen them MUCH worse, especially considering the humidity and rain that we've had.

My home course is Top O' The Hill in Canterbury. The mosquitoes are awful there, and have been all year. I don't know if it's because it's near a boggy area or what. I live four miles from the course in the woods and the mosquitoes have not been bad at all. Not sure what the reason is. I played Bellamy in the evening a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised not to get bitten at all, must be the Seacoast...

EDIT: Ticks have also been bad this year. Found at least 25 on me so far this year.

chiggers suck totally!! Is there anything that will get those things to not attack you??
repellent with at least 40% deet. spray it on your skin, not your clothes. be sure to get lower than your sock line and pull your socks over the repellent applied to your ankles.

Mosquitos are moderatley bad all around Wisconsin now, especially bad in the woods. For some reason standing rocks yesterday didn't really have hardly and mosquitos but a **** ton of buzzing flies and gnats that were distracting while trying to throw.

Yea the Mosquitos are just getting bad here in central WI, they actually weren't too bad from what I could tell only a few weeks ago. The gnats and flies have been brutal tho