• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Most Popular Putter

KC Pro Aviar. Stiff & Tacky Grip that is great in dry or wet weather. Stable enough to handle headwinds. Good prices.

I previously switched back and forth between the ion and anode but eventually settled with the ion because of the bead. I pitch putt and have the bead there just felt better for me and my accuracy went up so yeah. :)

I putt with Challengers.
I use Ions and Anodes for upshots.
I have a Zone because there's nothing like it.

In my alternate bag I putt with Wizards.
In my Latitude bag I use Spikes.

I've also used Aviars, Darts, Magnets, and all Vibram putters.

So which is my favorite? I have no idea. The Ion and Anode are fun to throw, but not as much for putting. Challengers are giving me the most putting success right now.

What would I recommend? None. I don't make recommendations on putters. More so than any other disc, choosing a putter is all about feel and comfort. Just because I seem to click with Challengers doesn't mean you will.

Check out the anode and ion from MVP. They are great and they love getting used for putting.

I swear, my anode LITERALLY smiles a tad as I pull him out of my bag because he knows what's about to happen. I have yet to see the ion smile or do anything unorthodox, but it is also nice. My anode is named deGrasse.

Beat barstamp dx rhyno for drives and upshots.
Fresh pro rhyno for windier upshots.
Gummy champ rhyno for offhand upshots and short flicks.
Gummy star rhyno for putting (slight dome gives it more glide).

All Ontario molds.

I like the low profile, the stability, and the thumbtrack.

I have way too many rhynos.

Soft Magnet, they are easy to shape lines, stick to the chains and I have been throwing one for two decades. I talk to a lot of players on the course, many attempting to talk me into the latest, greatest. I don't really get it, they do nothing new, and I would need to adjust, even ever so slightly, the putt I have been practicing forever.

Wizard. Some days I'm more into a chalky SSS; others, an RFF. Just got an Eraser Wizard that I'm excited to try, as well. Just all have a great feel, and have a very predictable line.

Honorable mention to my various Anodes, my Omega SS combo, and the Judge (classic soft)

I have been using an Anode lately, and I realy like the way it flies.

As far as what i see most in play, the Judge has taken this area by storm. In more bags now than even the mightly Aviar. Very little MVP love here. I have tried to make my Ion work, but just can't.

Check out the anode and ion from MVP. They are great and they love getting used for putting.

I swear, my anode LITERALLY smiles a tad as I pull him out of my bag because he knows what's about to happen. I have yet to see the ion smile or do anything unorthodox, but it is also nice. My anode is named deGrasse.

What do you think of the Aviar? I've been using one but to this point it appears to have a mind of it's own. Not consistently going in the basket. I think I'm going to look into the MVP putters. Consistency is what I am looking for, that way I can dominate the putting game!

Did someone say DOMINATE?

Aviars are okay, but they can't hold a candle in the same area code as a Maple Valley putter. Get an ion and become the happiest man alive.

Classic soft Judge or SSSS Wizard, depending on which one I grab first. Or Champ Rhyno if my grab misses the other 2.

I prefer the Judge. I have only tried the classic judge in soft and firm, and I also have a first run soft. I prefer the soft for the usual putting. I prefer the firm off the tee, approaching, or putting at a distance where the terrain is not kind to discs such as rocks and other crap that will damage the soft judge. I like it because it is a low profile, feels right, and goes into the basket more often than not(unless I am having a really bad day) from good distances out.

I suggest fondeling and trying out as many putters as you can to find the one that works best for you.

Depends on your definition of most popular. The aviar in it's various incarnations is by far the best selling disc golf putter. You've got a bunch of plastic choices, and the various configurations of noses, spacers and beads give you a lot of flexibility within the same mold. Lots of top pros have been really successful with them.

When a bunch of those top pros switched to prodigy and were throwing mixed bags, the rumor was that almost all of them were throwing wizards. They're not that different from a big bead aviar, but they'll handle a little more power and are a little longer on drives. You still have the huge variety of plastics to choose from, maybe even more so than the aviar.

You really can't go wrong with any of the traditionally shaped putters. If you like a less stable putter, a beadless aviar, a magnet or a magic will do great. If you like more stability, go with a small bead or big bead aviar, wizard, focus, challenger, ridge, ion or anode. Pick whatever feels right in your hand from that list and you'll be in great shape.

KC Pro Aviar. Stiff & Tacky Grip that is great in dry or wet weather. Stable enough to handle headwinds. Good prices.

^^^ This for putting

I use DX & Champ Classic Rocs as my "Driving" putter because they have a shallower rim.