• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Anode Putter

I've used a Neutron Anode and Aviar Classic. I never liked the feel of the Anode in my hand; it has this high "arch" feeling. Never putted well with it, either. I do like the Aviar Classic a lot better in both feel and flight for putting.

BTW, you might look for a Discmania P1X, P1, or P2 for that Aviar Classic feel...

Thanks for the comparison of the two! I saw a review of the Anode in which somebody mentioned that it had a different kind of feel...I think they said it was a bit "tall" and caused them some problems with release, especially when using it off the tee.

I have a P2 that I had some good success with but when I changed my putting motion (a little more wrist to reduce body movement and get the same distance) I found more success with the Aviar Classic (for some unknown reason). Maybe I'll bring it back out just to compare it to the Aviar Classic again.

Thanks!

TripleB

I never liked the feel of the Anode in my hand; it has this high "arch" feeling.

Is there an Axiom/MVP putter that is -1/0, 0/0, or -1/1, doesn't have a bead, and has a slightly lower profile than the Anode?

Thanks!

TripleB

Is there an Axiom/MVP putter that is -1/0, 0/0, or -1/1, doesn't have a bead, and has a slightly lower profile than the Anode?

Thanks!

TripleB

I'll defer to others on MVP/Axiom putters. When I take an all-MVP/Axiom bag to the course, I putt with the Proxy.

Proxy works profile and flight-wise but based on your grip comments grab a firm electron streamline Pilot. Think that meets all your criteria. Awesome putter

Atom also.

What's the difference between the Atom and Spin?

Similar flight numbers, similar diameter, similar Height, similar rim depth, similar rim thickness, etc.

Thanks for everyone's input...pretty excited about trying a MVP putter!!!

Interesting, I thought the Proton would be my plastic of choice (durable, not too soft, reasonably grippy), but most MVP sponsored players use the Electron plastic.

TripleB

Interesting, I thought the Proton would be my plastic of choice (durable, not too soft, reasonably grippy), but most MVP sponsored players use the Electron plastic.

Proton and Neutron, IME, feel and fly identical. One is opaque and one is transparent, but they feel the exact same. They are both like Champ more than anything. They grip the chains/putt fine, no difference with chain throughs or spitouts or anything compared to baseline I find, they just feel like champ in the hand. Not ideal when the ground is damp though and you're constantly grabbing a slick putter hole to hole. You do get used to it though if you want to.

Most players have used baseline putters for years, which is why they would gravitate toward electron.

Proton and Neutron, IME, feel and fly identical. One is opaque and one is transparent, but they feel the exact same

I have to disagree on the feel. Neutron is more star like to me. I really like how my neutron Envys have beat in to softer, grippier. I only have one MF proton Atom and have never cared for the feel. Haven't really thrown it enough to beat it in either.

I have to disagree on the feel. Neutron is more star like to me. I really like how my neutron Envys have beat in to softer, grippier. I only have one MF proton Atom and have never cared for the feel. Haven't really thrown it enough to beat it in either.

Envy's always feel more grippy to me, I have absolutely no idea why...it makes no sense. If it's the shape or what, or maybe that I only throw them so the premium plastic feel is just expected in a power grip to me.

Maybe it's also a MF Proton thing too...I have an Ion in MF Proton and it feels pretty slick.

Anyways, I definitely agree that they beat in to get softer and grippier.

Atom is most similar to the Proxy /Envy core. Flight wise closer to Proxy then Envy but kinda in the middle.
Spin is the Anode /Ion core and is the most US of the 3

Agree. I prefer Neutron to any other MVP/Axiom plastic.

Agree. I prefer Neutron to any other MVP/Axiom plastic.

After a two day (2.5 hour) putt off it was funny that my two favorite putters turned out to be the same plastic and the same weight, but entirely different types of putters. The Pure with no bead, on the thinner side, and the Judge with a bead and more of an Aviar type thickness - Opto in one and Lucid in the other, both at 173g.

Now I've just got to decide if the Anode or Atom is the best combination of the two in thickness and whether Neutron or Proton will feel most like my Opto/Lucid plastic.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful feedback!

TripleB

After a two day (2.5 hour) putt off it was funny that my two favorite putters turned out to be the same plastic and the same weight, but entirely different types of putters. The Pure with no bead, on the thinner side, and the Judge with a bead and more of an Aviar type thickness - Opto in one and Lucid in the other, both at 173g.

Now I've just got to decide if the Anode or Atom is the best combination of the two in thickness and whether Neutron or Proton will feel most like my Opto/Lucid plastic.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful feedback!

TripleB

Anode is awesome. It is really really similar to an Aviar in shape, but maybe slightly sleeker in height. Not low profile by any means though, so it has normal putter glide. Although it is "beadless" because of how the overmold goes on, there is some of the core sticking out the bottom so it's like a tiny microbead. If you like Judges and Aviars, you will like the Anode.

I would go for a Neutron Anode, after feeling my putters up my scuffed up Neutron does feel a little better for feel than my scuffed up Proton. I use them interchangeably, this is me searching for "does one feel different?".

The only weird thing with the Anode is that on the inside of the rim, where the rim meets the flight plate, there is a curve rather than the typical 90ish degree meeting. This should not be felt during a putting grip. It took me a little bit to adjust to in BH and FH throws, as I use Anodes for drives, approaches, FH's and putts. But again, you get used to it and it's fine.

Anodes are awesome if you want a more normal depth putter that handles wind better than an Aviar and takes forever to beat in. Flies like a worn to straight Wizard or trustworthy Aviar forever basically. You just have to use it for a while to get the plastic to scuff up.

Anode is awesome. It is really really similar to an Aviar in shape, but maybe slightly sleeker in height. Not low profile by any means though, so it has normal putter glide. Although it is "beadless" because of how the overmold goes on, there is some of the core sticking out the bottom so it's like a tiny microbead. If you like Judges and Aviars, you will like the Anode.

It's a tough call. The two winners in my putt offs were the Judge and the Pure. If had to pick one it would probably be the Judge...the thinness of the Pure had me getting a little too wristy with some of my putts. Looking at just the numbers the Atom falls squarely in between these two disc.

But I've had some past successes with the Warlock (decided it was too tall and deep to get a clean release) and the Aviar P&A (never found a plastic I liked)...so some taller disc (which I think the Anode is) have worked for me some in the past.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

I have gone through all the Anode plastics over the years. Plasma was my favorite but I'm really enjoying the Eclipse discs now (of course the most expensive). I decided I prefer stiff rather soft. I already own three and would like to bag two. I have:
175g Soft Eclipse
172g Eclipse
169g Eclipse

Would you think it's better to bag the two regular even though the soft is in my preferred weight? What would others do? $20 discs make me want to work with what I already own.

Neutron is the best plastic for MVP/Axiom. I do enjoy Fission Volts as well.

I have gone through all the Anode plastics over the years. Plasma was my favorite but I'm really enjoying the Eclipse discs now (of course the most expensive). I decided I prefer stiff rather soft. I already own three and would like to bag two. I have:
175g Soft Eclipse
172g Eclipse
169g Eclipse

Would you think it's better to bag the two regular even though the soft is in my preferred weight? What would others do? $20 discs make me want to work with what I already own.

Neutron is the best plastic for MVP/Axiom. I do enjoy Fission Volts as well.

Do they fly different? My guess is the soft is going to be more different because of hand feel, than the other two would be because of weight. The only difference is if some are worn for years more than others, or there are significant gouges that make one turn. Anodes wear slowly IME. I'd probably use the two regular stiffness ones unless flight characteristics were different for some reason.

They are expensive, but they last so much longer than baseline putters if they are used for throwing too, and if you don't lose them.

Do they fly different? My guess is the soft is going to be more different because of hand feel, than the other two would be because of weight. The only difference is if some are worn for years more than others, or there are significant gouges that make one turn. Anodes wear slowly IME. I'd probably use the two regular stiffness ones unless flight characteristics were different for some reason.

They are expensive, but they last so much longer than baseline putters if they are used for throwing too, and if you don't lose them.

I pretty much use them only for putting. I didn't throw the 169g. But 172 felt fine even though I usually do 175g. The soft released awkward in my hands quite frequently.

I pretty much use them only for putting. I didn't throw the 169g. But 172 felt fine even though I usually do 175g. The soft released awkward in my hands quite frequently.

Yeah the soft does feel different for me in putting grip with how I feel the flight plate. For driving it doesn't matter and I'd choose choose 100% on flight. For putts you need to be confident on hand feel and release. Plus losing a few grams I don't think is a big deal on the Anode, it's slightly sleeker than an Aviar and I think not quite as affected by wind. So a couple grams isn't a big deal to me, although others are different about that.

Latest posts