• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Reactor

I bought a couple neutron hex and reactors to try and have mixed feelings. The hex is everything I ever wanted the buzzz to be and is a really nice disc. One of the two has no high speed turn at all while the other one has just a hint of turn. It feels so nice in my hand whereas the buzzz was always a little deep and didn't hit my hand right. The reactor has the same hand feel, but the flight wasn't as impressive to me. One of the two that I bought turns more than either hex which was not what I was looking for from this mold. The other one flies more like the the more overstable hex but with a dump at the end. Think I will just end up sticking with my dx rocs.

I bought a couple neutron hex and reactors to try and have mixed feelings. The hex is everything I ever wanted the buzzz to be and is a really nice disc. One of the two has no high speed turn at all while the other one has just a hint of turn. It feels so nice in my hand whereas the buzzz was always a little deep and didn't hit my hand right. The reactor has the same hand feel, but the flight wasn't as impressive to me. One of the two that I bought turns more than either hex which was not what I was looking for from this mold. The other one flies more like the the more overstable hex but with a dump at the end. Think I will just end up sticking with my dx rocs.

I can't speak for reactors as much, but heavy hexes fly quite a bit different than the ones around 170. For me the heavy ones are straight to fade, much like a buzzz. The lighter weight ones will show a bit of turn but still fade. I believe my neutron reactor is a 174, it's neon green and pretty much board flat. The shop had a few other colors that looked better at the time, but those weren't nearly as flat so I snagged the neon one. It's kinda weird because it does have more fade than the hex, but if I hit it full power it seems like it wants to turn a bit more than the hex. The eclipse reactor is what you want to look at, considerably more beefy. Doesn't want to show the high speed turn and has a bit more fade than the neutron, and still gets good distance.

I've been a roc guy for a long time, but am an oddball. Typically throw FH with my drivers and BH for mids and approaches. I always liked the roc because I thought it was a better line shaper than the buzzz and threw more like a putter than driver. Goal has been to get my BH mojo back, so I was at a point where I was looking at molds I could throw equally well both ways…seems like previously I had certain molds in the bag because they were comfy grip wise for one but not both…that's how I ended up looking at the hex and reactor. Unfortunately I don't care for the roc in a FH grip. It took a bit of adjustment, both molds like to be thrown a bit different than the roc it seems like.

The feel is pretty different, but I think your right about the flight.

I remember looking at the matrix and reactor in the shop trying to figure out the difference. I believe the matrix has a hair more high speed turn and a hair more fade than the reactor so more pronounced "S" flight? Personally I thought the reactor was more comfortable in the hand, not that the matrix felt bad, but the reactor and hex both have such a naturally comfy grip. Matrix comes in more plastic options too I believe.

I have a Neutron Reactor that's a little squirrelly. If yours are like that one, I can understand the frustration. It's not a bad disc, but I can't figure out what it wants from me to give me what I want from it.

On the other hand, my Cosmic Neutrons are pretty darned predictable and excellent in the woods. I'll take the Hex on a slight hyzer if I need a continuous arc, but one of the Reactors if I need either straight to fade or a turnover.

Quake has much more of a bevel on the rim. Reactor is like a Kaxe Z with a blunter edge, closer to a Buzzz profile. and Quake is like a Buzzz OS with a rounder edge, not really blunt just the corners are smoothed off.

I had a chance today to try my 4 Reactors with 2nd & 3rd throws during a round today. It was a bit windy so I had a chance to compare them.

175 Eclipse EK
175 Cosmic Neutron lab 2nd
178 Neutron Orange
169 Neutron Blue

3 different flights with the 4 discs.

The 175 Eclipse and 175 Cosmic Neutron both are very straight, strong fade... Like 0 2

The 178 Neutron Orange was very straight, very little fade, like 0 0 or .5. I had to throw a very high line to see any strong fade.

The 168 Neutron Blue had noticable turn and strong fade like -1 2

I think part of the difference is weight clearly.

I was surprised that the cosmic Neutron had as much fade as the Eclipse. In fact most throws they were within a foot it two of each other.

I like it. All 3 variations are useful.

Has anyone else noticed much difference in the plastics and weights on the Reactor?

Has anyone else noticed much difference in the plastics and weights on the Reactor?

I've not tried too many different weights but I've thrown eclipse, CN, and Neutron with similar results. The eclipse reactor is very similar to my pyro in that there is almost zero turn but a really strong fade at the end. The cosmic neutron, for me, was pretty close but less, maybe -0.5 turn and 2 fade. The neutron I threw was as advertised, -0.5 turn, 1.5 fade. I kept the eclipse but dropped the rest for the time being as I wanted a bigger gap in stabilities between the reactor and hex. All of mine were 177-179.

I'm excited to try out the fission reactors and if all goes well I may carry a couple and have a nice rotation cycle going on with them.

Eclipse Reactors

Newish older forehand dominant player here (under 1 year so far). Most of my rounds have been night rounds and originally my only discs that glowed were an Eclipse Reactor and a Wizard. For Christmas a second Eclipse Reactor showed up via the Gyropalooza Mystery Box. It is nice to be able to do a head to head comparison between them.

Some of the meat hook of the eclipse plastic definitely beats out of the disc (like you would expect). The new eclipse reactor will not turn at all with my power (yes, I have a noodle forehand arm). The old one is showing just a bit of turn. I consistently get more distance with the older one at present (Roughly 20 feet or so).

For comparison my newish neutron hex starting last weekend is forcing over on a forehand or something strange has crept into my form, a very new and confusing experience for me. My hex definitely gets more distance, but I definitely have more control with my beat in Eclipse Reactor. I still haven't dialed in the hex, I need to get in a field with it and figure out what started last weekend...

For six months I was playing 9 holes around 4 times a week in the dark, the Reactor was my driver and mid and the wizard was just a putter, or a backhand approach disc. To give you all an idea of how much I threw it to notice a difference. Weights are virtually the same for all three discs at: new reactor 174, old reactor 173 and hex (neutron) 174.

One of the really nice things about learning forehand with mvp stuff is it really rewards getting a good snap on release, and the reactor did help me to learn that... Now I'm more seriously working on my backhand to round out my game...

Have fun chucking plastic everyone and I'm looking forward to trying a fission reactor probably about 10 grams lighter when they are released.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why are you specifically looking at one 10g lighter?

The lightweight discs I've thrown until recently are all dx innova starter stuff that I never learned to trust. The dragon and beast I've tried at around 150 were only useful with a large tailwind when thrown forehand. Admittedly I don't have a ton of experience either... so take that for what it is.

Then I watched an "In the Bag" video for James Conrad, and he kept mentioning "max weight". So I stayed away from anything under 170.

I was planning on starting with a Reactor around 160 and then potentially going down from there as a middle ground way to start testing lighter discs. At over 50, I don't necessarily have a ton of power, and am intrigued with reports, here I've read, about folks using lighter weight MVP discs. The Reactor is the mold I'm most familar with, and would be able to notice the most change with...

That's probably a good idea. I've heard with solomolds that lower weight almost always means more US. But with the MVP rim being so much more dense it allows a lighter disc to maintain so much more stability.

Mids are something I usually keep at max and start tapering off as I get higher speed stuff but I'm wondering if I should start slowly moving everything down a few grams as the years go by.

The lightweight discs I've thrown until recently are all dx innova starter stuff that I never learned to trust. The dragon and beast I've tried at around 150 were only useful with a large tailwind when thrown forehand. Admittedly I don't have a ton of experience either... so take that for what it is.

Then I watched an "In the Bag" video for James Conrad, and he kept mentioning "max weight". So I stayed away from anything under 170.

I was planning on starting with a Reactor around 160 and then potentially going down from there as a middle ground way to start testing lighter discs. At over 50, I don't necessarily have a ton of power, and am intrigued with reports, here I've read, about folks using lighter weight MVP discs. The Reactor is the mold I'm most familar with, and would be able to notice the most change with...
Personally I'd start in the mid 160s for mids. 10-15g lighter will definitely be easier to get up to speed and give you a different flight. Drivers are where you can play around with lighter stuff. Ask Envychucker, he's the resident lightweight. 😁

I'm not always in the reactor thread haha, just ran out of other stuff to read. I usually stay out of here. I've got an eclipse 176 reactor, meh. I have nothing to add reactor wise.

Basically there's two cores a lightweight 155-167ish core and a 169-174 core. The weight is all in the rim a nd the core weight is the same. Some lightweight molds turn harder at 155 than they do at 165 since there's less gyro.

I throw drivers under 165g. I'm about 300' declining power but I feel like I could hit 350 on a good day, I'm no longer trying to crack 400'. I don't miss heavy stuff at all... MVP does lightweight well without getting squirrelly. I've got a 143 fission photon I can get crazy distance with as long as it's not too windy and I'm throwing clean(ish)

If you've been thumping it with a reactor you could keep an eye out for a glow insanity but they are all 172g +. Probably be real beefy but if you gotta glow that's all you will find, unless you trip over a glow hex.

FH dominant and 50ish, I dunno try something like a fission volt at 163/5 ish. See how that treats you as a reference point. If you feel like you use a lot of torque or angle control is an issue with the Wizard try a 160ish fission tesla or a 157ish neutron tesla.

If you feel like you are pretty smooth you could check out something like a 155-160 inertia or insanity. Both net decent distance. I just snagged a 159 plasma inertia and I forgot how good they were for a utility fairway/max distance disc.

Let me know how far you can throw that reactor or if you have questions drop a post in the MVP disc official thread, lots of good folks with many answers

Last edited:
... and furthermore upon re reading...

You need to iron out that hex. Think of that as your definition of smoothicity it's got a little meat, it shouldn't be unpredictable, you have just developed a reasonable amount of power and you need to harness it.

I throw 169's. Good thing the hex takes some solid snap and goes far, really far. I don't rely on max weight to hide my torque, I embrace lighter stuff and try to clean my form up. I can get a hex out to relay distance on a FH, dead straight with a reliable fade. Kinda like a long envy. It's my favourite FH fairway disc.

If you were messing in the driver arena I would encourage a 155/160 ish plasma inertia, maybe a fission tesla for quick results. Heck grab a 150g fission photon, but realize it's not the best way to learn and it's a stop gap to the next step. Light and stable might be a good aha moment.

If you are backhanding have you tried your uplink out of the gyro box? Great BH disc. Pair that with the hex and you have your mids set. Glow pilot might fit in there as a putter, but the Wizard is solid. Great putter, FH/BH it goes no sense changing if you can find glowys and that it my favourite wizard plastic btw

You might be able to find a glow crave, might be worth watching for a lighter one of those.

Last edited:
My east side playing partner was killing it yesterday with one of the new Fission Reactors. Seemed like anything straight from 200 to 300 was in play with precision. Just deadly. I've been putting in time lately trying to sort out my drivers but that was a fantastic reminder of just how capable a good mid range can be.

I hear a lot about eclipse reactors being overstable, some say almost verdict. Dies that include elaine king 2.0s? I have one and its not quite as overstable as I was hoping. Looking for right in the middle of fission hex and pyro. Mine is 75% towards hex. If not the EK 2.0 then what run?

I hear a lot about eclipse reactors being overstable, some say almost verdict. Dies that include elaine king 2.0s? I have one and its not quite as overstable as I was hoping. Looking for right in the middle of fission hex and pyro. Mine is 75% towards hex. If not the EK 2.0 then what run?

No idea how many runs are out there, but my first one was a factory blank 2.0 I ordered from OTB I wanna think. It's what people describe as a good overstable reactor. Liked it enough to order a backup right away and plh matched up.

Ended up getting a gyropalooza 2021 box that included an L2 eclipse reactor in it, stuck it in the backup pile but then took a look after people were saying some of their reactors were glowing blue. Mine didn't, and actually had a fairly low amount of glow. Ended up noticing the plh was quite a bit lower than my other eclipses and about the same as a neutron reactor.

Not sure if it was an L2 because of the low amount of glow…maybe ran while they were experimenting with how much glow additive to use and this was a mix that didn't make the cut. They've said the glow additive impacts how discs mold, and tend to be more overstable. I figure the low glow and low plh go hand in hand with this one.

Latest posts