• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Envy, Axis, Volt, and Anode. I could survive with just these 4 molds, and wouldn't want to play without them. These 4 are why I'm a fanboy. Shock/Amp are up there, but not on these 4's level, and I love the Tangent, but I don't know if I can bag it AND the Axis. Causes too much waffling on shot selection.

The Alias is a "leave it" for me. Traded mine away actually.

Most of the rest are untried, or on the fence.

Love:
Inertia!!!!!
Envy
Crave
Tangent
Resistor

Leave:
Amp
Axis
Vector
Switch
Inspire

Other thoughts:
I like the Alias but can see a lot of overlap between it, the tangent and envy.
The Inertia is amazing and is turning into my most used driver.
I used to be in love with anodes but after using the envy for awhile I can't do the deeper disc with the rounded rim. I really miss that dead straight, no fade putter shot though.

Love:
Inertia
Amp
Axis
Ion

Really like and bag:
Volt
Shock
Resistor
Tangent
Tensor

Like but don't bag:

All the rest.

It's not a matter of not liking them, it's more that the courses I play don't require any line shaping. I can score just as well with 2 discs as I can with 20.

Love:
Motion and Volt, the two greatest drivers of the last five years

Like but don't bag: Tensor, Ion, Shock, Tangent

The rest honestly just seem like regular discs to me. But the Motion and Volt...it's crazy, there just aren't any other discs like that out there.

MVP just went above and beyond to fix something that was not even their fault. Top notch customer service.

Just wanted to add that.

Fun topic.

The Tangent and the Crave are the two MVP/Axiom discs that are perfect for my game. The Crave in particular ended a months long search for a straight flying disc disc with strong HSS that's still workable on a variety of lines. It's exactly what I want for that slot and I throw it more and more and more. The Tangent is the perfect stable to mildly understable disc for me. Truth be told I don't know it as well as I'd like to: the lack of tight course coupled with the strong winds in my area means I don't throw them as much as I do when playing up north in tight, wooded courses. Still, they've saved my butt countless times; some of my most memorable shots have been with a Tangent.

I'm bagging the Tesla and Resistor as well. The former is pretty new to the bag: I love it for hyzer lines and love its speed - fast but controllable - but am still not sure how solidified it is in the bag long term. The Resistor is a great great disc: it's my crutch in a lot of situations, since it's so absurdly reliable. The Resistor is close to the "lock down" status of the Tangent and Crave, but not quite there.

The MVP discs I haven't clicked with that I've spent some quality time throwing are the Tensor, Inertia, Anode, and Servo. The Tensor always flew weird to me: the HSS is there, but it's also quite sensitive to release angle, and I had many throws with it where it held onto a flat or slight anny release way longer than I wanted it to. The control is outstanding, but I couldn't dial it in even after a lot of time with it. It only took a few throws with the Suspect to convince me that the Tensor wasn't right for me. The Inertia is just more understable than I need, plain and simple, at least right now, and the Anode was just meh for me. The Servo had way more turn than I wanted: a great Eagle X-type line shaper, but not something I need in the bag right now. Lately I've preferred the tighter lines of discs like the Crave, Suspect, and Tangent.

I've thrown some other MVP discs, but not enough or too long ago to really have an opinion on them. The Shock bears mention as a disc that seems to do exactly what it was built for, really really well, but I don't feel like I need one in the bag given the Resistor's entrenchment.

MVP/Axiom have a great, intriguing line up that has filled out really well.

Soft Anode - In the basket. The soft proton has a greater spring with my putting style than the mediums.
Envy - The shallow feel and OS lines put this right in my bag. I'm not a fan of beads so the Ion was weird for me.
Tangent - I like flippy/controllable. This is the epitome of that.
Alias - Only had about a month or so but this thing is awesome. The HSS allows for long straight drives and minimal fade. Also very reliable on hyzer lines. Similar feel to the tangent.
Inspire - A week after getting mine, I hit a $160 ace with it. More turn than the crave and reliable.
Crave - Longer version of the Alias. This is an amazing disc.
Resistor - Easily rangeable for BH and FH for me.
Volt - Lazer lines with a new Proton, I also bag a flippy glidy first run volt.

Semi-likes/working on:
Tensor - I like but I throw my resistors/envy more so.
Inertia - This disc has changed my game. The past two years I have been throwing everything off of a hyzer. Being able to crank on something and have it go right is a godsend for me. But with my distance, these lines are covered by the Inspire.
Tesla - more HSS than the volt, longer lines that need to go left. Probably too much disc for me.
Motion - Probably too much for me but my resistors can't handle some headwinds on longer lines

I used to be in love with anodes but after using the envy for awhile I can't do the deeper disc with the rounded rim. I really miss that dead straight, no fade putter shot though.

+1. I've actually been working really hard on getting a clean grip/release on the Anode. On shots < 225, to get a straight flight from the Envy I have to manipulate spin/anny to make it do it, and sometimes the results are disastrous.

I'll chime in again for a slightly US Envy, like just a tic less stable than the Tangent, say! Call it the Covet. (Anyone have the time to beat up an N Alias, actually? Is that what I'm looking for? I didn't like the max wt. P Alias, but so what?)

I putt with soft P Anodes, so they aren't going anywhere, and I've gotten pretty good with it off the tee/on approach when the Envy isn't the ideal pull.

@Qikly--you're still freaking me out with the polar opposite Crave/Servo experience, lol. My N Crave is breaking into exactly 1/2 way between the Servo and Switch.

Last edited:
I'll chime in again for a slightly US Envy, like just a tic less stable than the Tangent, say! Call it the Covet. (Anyone have the time to beat up an N Alias, actually? Is that what I'm looking for? I didn't like the max wt. P Alias, but so what?)

Would buy on day 1 of availability.

@Qikly--you're still freaking me out with the polar opposite Crave/Servo experience, lol. My N Crave is breaking into exactly 1/2 way between the Servo and Switch.

Hah! For what it's worth, I'm also freaked out. Eventually I'll try and get my hands on another Servo just to confirm the results I had with this one. It was also pretty windy the day I was throwing, which would have exaggerated the turn, but the one I have is definitely a more turn/fade S curve line shaper than the Crave, which flies tighter lines with less lateral motion.

^ I can't 100% trust my impression of either the Crave or Servo, to be perfectly honest. I've got big clunky hands, and I'm finding a lot of inconsistent throws with this Servo class of drivers, where I 'miss the hit' regularly.

It reminds me of the Stag in that sense: if you don't get a good pull on it it will fly straight with a good healthy fade, but on a quality up-to-speed throw there's a lot more turn and a much later fade.

It reminds me of the Stag in that sense: if you don't get a good pull on it it will fly straight with a good healthy fade, but on a quality up-to-speed throw there's a lot more turn and a much later fade.

Boom, exactly. Another thing I've found is, I throw harder overall doing fieldwork than I do during a round. Not much, but enough that certain discs that fall right in that window can mess me up, and it's the Crave for me.

I get S curves in the field, straight-to-fade sometimes on the course (mostly wooded around here.)

I'm trying to not let field practice turn into 1 man distance comps, and throw like I throw golf shots normally, so I don't have those discrepancies.

best advice would be to stop trying to throw X disc for X shot. Commit to it for every tee shot for one round and then figure out where you stand with it. very hard to use a disc when its just added into the bag and get an idea of how it will fly or you can use it.

sometimes we try to make discs fly how they weren't designed and its always hard to be consistent doing that.

best advice would be to stop trying to throw X disc for X shot. Commit to it for every tee shot for one round and then figure out where you stand with it. very hard to use a disc when its just added into the bag and get an idea of how it will fly or you can use it.

sometimes we try to make discs fly how they weren't designed and its always hard to be consistent doing that.

Makes sense, see what you're saying.

But I do 4-6 hours of field work a week, no BS. I get used to seeing those lines, and then when I throw a round, a few of the discs show a different personality. The Crave is the worst for this right now, but just because of where it falls speed wise compared to my power level.

I like the idea of a full round with the one disc to see what it really is, but I also really need to stop "over" throwing when I practice.

I really know what you guys are talking about with the Crave/Servo. I've yet to really dial in the flat throw with either. If I throw it a little too nose up/nose neutral I get the fade, but if I throw it like a Volt it turns. So I'm avoiding it altogether throwing hyzer flips with my Switch...From a hyzer release it flies on the Crave/Servo lines, but in a more reliable/less speed sensitive way for me.

It really reminds me of some of the lighter 160 volts that were around when the volt came out.

I haven't had a issue with my crave fading out at all but it is a bit hard to range for me from a flat throw too so ill hyzer flip like you do the switch-- the issue comes in when the crave will lock into this slow turning straight flight and fly way past my mark. I love it for the lower ceiling shots the tangent isn't great for but its no where near the kind of disc my P volts are. Compliments well though and could see it being a hell of a go-to driver for those who max 300'

Status
Not open for further replies.