• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I thought about the Matrix... played the plasma Axis today.... A couple real good shots and a couple that missed the tunnel by a few feet... definitely a viable contender against the Tangents but nowhere near Comet country... more like a sweet Buzzz or a decent Axis but six months of wear and it should be about right... it's closer to sweet than my 5 year old occasionally used eclipse. It's close enough to play it unlike the eclipse.

Today, I went a couple towns over that has a larger disc golf pro shop. I raffled through their special disc section until I found a Circuit stamped Relay @167g. It is peach instead of my normal whites, purples and pinks, but it flew nice. Well worth the $20 price tag than the normal $18.

I also picked up a 174g Relativity. Dang, those things are flippy! Whilst I don't have the arm speed to throw them properly in calm winds, we were having high 20s mph winds today.... turn and burn baby! I think this disc is going to be trade bait...it also has a Circuit stamp.

Tangent and axis are tho. Matrix would be your stupid ace disc with minimal bead. Hater. I'll lick your face.

Lick his eye it's more disgusting and uncomfortably intimate. Haha

Yeah I could see Elmex liking the Matrix... I used to be a huge Buzzz guy if there was a 170 Axis... mmm close but yeah. The Tangent is Buzzz broken in awesome 25' shorter and the axis is Buzzz +25' but you gotta power it up to love it.. And there isn't the cycling awesomeness but a sweet broken in Axis is almost Comet glide with moderate broken in Buzzz stability.. Axis is sweet when beat!!!!

I got no problem swapping my Buzzz for an Axis but.... The Vertex, Theory, or Tangent can't touch the Comet glide.. Vertex was closest for me for handling but dropped too fast downhill.. Fission 165 Axis.. Just f@@@ing make it already.

Last edited:

Yeah I could see Elmex liking the Matrix... I used to be a huge Buzzz guy if there was a 170 Axis... mmm close but yeah. The Tangent is Buzzz broken in awesome 25' shorter and the axis is Buzzz +25' but you gotta power it up to love it.. And there isn't the cycling awesomeness but a sweet broken in Axis is almost Comet glide with moderate broken in Buzzz stability.. Axis is sweet when beat!!!!

I got no problem swapping my Buzzz for an Axis but.... The Vertex, Theory, or Tangent can't touch the Comet glide.. Vertex was closest for me for handling but dropped too fast downhill.. Fission 165 Axis.. Just f@@@ing make it already.

As a Wasp thrower, there is no way Elmex would like the Matrix. It is closer to a slower Buzzz than a Wasp. Really, it is a Roc/Buzzz hybrid, but not a Wasp/Roc3 replacment.

I think the Axis is very very close to a Buzzz. I'd go so far as to call it a Buzzz clone. (Like Scorsese said, steal from the best.)

I was into CryZtal Buzzzes, which was annoying because I try to avoid limited run discs. Proton, once it gets beat up some/dirt rubbed into it, is fairly close, feel-wise. I switched to the Axis (I really prefer it in Eclipse for whatever reasons) and never missed a beat. That's really what got me to sign on to the Gyronaut program.

Is there anything, anywhere, like the Comet? I'm not sure there is. What would even be the closest Gyro? Theory, maybe?

Last edited:
I think the Axis is very very close to a Buzzz. I'd go so far as to call it a Buzzz clone. (Like Scorsese said, steal from the best.)

I was into CryZtal Buzzzes, which was annoying because I try to avoid limited run discs. Proton, once it gets beat up some/dirt rubbed into it, is fairly close, feel-wise. I switched to the Axis (I really prefer it in Eclipse for whatever reasons) and never missed a beat. That's really what got me to sign on to the Gyronaut program.

Is there anything, anywhere, like the Comet? I'm not sure there is. What would even be the closest Gyro? Theory, maybe?

Theory isn't even close. No glide and much harder dump. An Ion or a Relay is closer to the Comet than the Theory.

This is no gyro Comet, don't bother looking.

Last edited:

It's tough to replicate in gyro.. It's like there's a certain stability or flight that comes with it. The closest clone to a Comet for me is the Axis just for the glide. I think if MVP tried to build a Comet they would need to do something to mitigate the gyro. Either light weights (fission), a solid mold (streamline), or a sharper rim wide diameter driver (Stalker).

I often wonder how an Axis top would do on a Vertex bottom... or the Vector with the Vertex/Spin shaped underrim.

For me the matrix has replaced my glow buzzz. the proxy handles a lot of shots I used to throw mids on. Not many things fly like a comet I never threw one much because i could not get consistent release with them. Love the flight of a comet just never trusted myself with them. I throw the theory for my understable mid shots. Tensor Matrix Theory with some proxy and particle sprinkled in work well for me.

It's tough to replicate in gyro.. It's like there's a certain stability or flight that comes with it. The closest clone to a Comet for me is the Axis just for the glide. I think if MVP tried to build a Comet they would need to do something to mitigate the gyro. Either light weights (fission), a solid mold (streamline), or a sharper rim wide diameter driver (Stalker).

I often wonder how an Axis top would do on a Vertex bottom... or the Vector with the Vertex/Spin shaped underrim.

I don't think it's as much gyro as much as it is lack of glide. The Comet has curves that I think may be hard to replicate due to the overmold. I don't have a axis or tanget on hand to compare, but if memory serves me correctly, the overmold forces a sharper curve at the join.

Comets are pretty rim heavy anyway. They sorta have a lid like weight profile.

That's kind of my point.

Trust me, I'm not looking. I've managed to play DG for about a decade without bagging a Comet.

I should say...not to badmouth the Comet. My experience with it is, I tried them out when I was still pretty terrible, and didn't have the form to get consistent throws with it. By the time I was (maybe) good enough to really get the magic out of it, I was somewhere else, mids-wise.

Every time I go to the Disc Store I feel up the Comets and consider buying one for funsies. But the problem is that I really, really like my current midrange setup (non-gyro...sorry). I'm kind of getting to the point where I'm just not that interested in learning new molds, I just want to get better at the ones I already have. When I need to scratch the itch to buy a new disc, lately I've just bought a mold that I already own but in a different plastic type.

As a Wasp thrower, there is no way Elmex would like the Matrix. It is closer to a slower Buzzz than a Wasp. Really, it is a Roc/Buzzz hybrid, but not a Wasp/Roc3 replacment.

i tried the matrix when it first came out and i threw em with aim and he hit pipe on hole 1 i can agree its the hybrid mix between wasp/buzz

axis is floaty and doesnt hold up in a wind especially headwind like a buzz does theyre roughly the same lines in no wind but with any wind thats when buzz clearly becomes superior

overall discraft mids > mvp mids

but mvp putters > discraft mids

choose wisely

MVP putters > everything else. So use that as your starting point to build a bag.

I find the DD/Westside mids pair well with gyro putters. Likewise DD and Westside fairways pair well with DD/Westside mids.

MVP has some of the best controllable distance drivers...that 21.5mm class has some real gems. But then I like Lat64's true max D Ballista/Ballista Pro combo. So I use a combo of moderately-wide and super wide drivers.

I probably put too much thought into my bag setup, but that's essentially the thought process. It all comes down to what your starting point or anchor is for your bag, and at the time I decided that the Envy and Escape were the two discs that I'd build around. Emac Truth fits distance-wise perfectly between those two anchor discs, and then stability-wise I used Envy/Emac/Escape as the middle of my bag with the other discs complementing those. Max D discs are still a bit unkempt though.

axis is floaty and doesnt hold up in a wind especially headwind like a buzz does theyre roughly the same lines in no wind but with any wind thats when buzz clearly becomes superior.

Hm, that's interesting. I'll have to take your word for it. On open shots where wind is/would be a factor, I don't throw mids much. An Axis shot in those conditions, for me, is a Resistor shot. (Or maybe, some glorious day, a ResistRelay shot. :popcorn:)

Around here, there aren't many of those shots, so I throw a lot of Axis since it's all woods golf all the time, with a few exceptions.

MVP has some of the best controllable distance drivers...that 21.5mm class has some real gems.

which class is the 21.5mm? i dont see any 21.5mm on their website just 21 or 23mm

would be nice to have a speed 12 (22mm) class though.. i feel like the speed 11 doesnt quite get me max distance but the speed 13 23mm class is just a little too wide rimmed for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts