• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Man I wanted them to be beefy! Maybe there will be another run that comes out like the protos.

Man I wanted them to be beefy! Maybe there will be another run that comes out like the protos.
At my local PIAS there were three Red Stock discs that I would say were beefy, and I've read some comments online that Red is being called beefy, Domey, and OS. I walked out with a Somewhat Domey Orange 175g prior to my pre-order arriving figuring it would be best to have two discs to work with on the Practice field. My pre-order came Orange neutral flatness 175g. When I saw OTB had a purple 170g it was described as Somewhat Domey, so I grabbed it, I give it a neutral flatness and a little flippy. All three stock. Purple at neutral flatness 170g a little flippy is likely to work best for me.

A lost disc waiting to happen a Neutron Tesla at PIAS.

Attachments

• 20231221_122133.jpg
    20231221_122133.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
So I make another visit to PIAS this morning to pick up another Neutron Wave 166g pink!, I lost mine yesterday in leaves dark red. I now have 9 putters.

I see this 2017 Electron Anode in the used bin, it's warped badly back it goes.

I see another gyro sticking up, pull it and my eyes pop out. A Plasma Ion 168g and knew the moment I saw it OOP for $9, grabbed it. Just came back from the park a few nice turn-fades, mostly a gentle turn on other throws will get it worked out.

I now have three OOP putters Plasma Anode 174g, and Plasma Tangent 177g. Love the Tangent, the Anode still a work in progress. I've had them almost 4 months.

Attachments

• 20231223_120224.jpg
    20231223_120224.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231223_123459.jpg
    20231223_123459.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231223_163547.jpg
    20231223_163547.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
So I make another visit to PIAS this morning to pick up another Neutron Wave 166g pink!, I lost mine yesterday in leaves dark red. I now have 9 putters.

I see this 2017 Electron Anode in the used bin, it's warped badly back it goes.

I see another gyro sticking up, pull it and my eyes pop out. A Plasma Ion 168g and knew the moment I saw it OOP for $9, grabbed it. Just came back from the park a few nice turn-fades, mostly a gentle turn on other throws will get it worked out.

I now have three OOP putters Plasma Anode 174g, and Plasma Tangent 177g. Love the Tangent, the Anode still a work in progress. I've had them almost 4 months.
I used to have a red plasma ion and two pfn neutron ions. Had no idea about anything special so I traded them and moved on 🤦🏻‍♂️

I used to have a red plasma ion and two pfn neutron ions. Had no idea about anything special so I traded them and moved on 🤦🏻‍♂️
I think it just depends on an individual perspective on what maybe special about a disc. Plasma is my favorite MVP/Axiom plastic, and I've thrown just about all of them. So, when I've come across three OOP that are difficult to find, I jumped on them for the value of throwing another Plasma, and for myself that's special. I don't keep disc that I just can't throw or not being used there's always another one to trade in for, the Anode is different despite having not been successful with it on approaches yet. Normally by now it would have been traded in. With an exception that it may be the only chance I get to throw one, it's now rare, and in a few decades its likely to increase in monetary value based on my experience with NFL autographed collecting from a few decades ago. I'll keep working with the Anode, regardless of what happens I'll keep it.

The individual who traded it in had to be clueless in what he had in the Ion. Likely only got about 4 or 5 dollars store credit or less than that in cash.

I'm with Lee, the old plasma is pretty nice, probably my favourite. New plasma is kind of slick. I'd always wanted a plasma tangent... it did not disappoint.

Just got done Sunday doubles.. did alright but didn't cash. Bit of bad luck, bit of poor disc selection. Took my 174 r2 spin instead of a glitch or my proton 167g spin, that didn't work out for me haha. It's a little heavy to hold the turns I want, I could have used the glitch 3 or 4 times and done better (I assume)

Took the tempo and absolutely slaughtered the FH shots.. almost landed a short ace with it BH. Very happy with the straight flight and solid panning dump of a fade. Used the otb proton soft envy and hit most of my putts.. Took a new 149g fission tesla with mini Orbit stamp it is good middle of the road stable for a tesla.

Probably could have used the 166g fission or 160g neutron se rhythm. Took the 158g fission and a 171g circuit. Hit most of my drives. Hit a straight to panning hyzer and a downhill flip to turn as well as a couple FHs.

I have no idea where my regular bag went haha, it's in my house or van somewhere haha.

This is my third Neutron Wave 166g and it has a sweet glide, with some distance. It's flippie unlike the previous two. Replaces a 167g that was stiff, lost in leafs on Friday, only had it a few months. The first one 171g had it 14 months broken in after about 6 months and some memorable throws on heavily wooded courses, was getting so beaten with tree hits it started to lose its effectiveness.

It's a fun disc to throw LHBH left center pushing into the wind, glide down wind ending fade. I spent an hour with it along with an Orbital on the practice field. It would be nice to have a backup.

Attachments

• 20231226_120845.jpg
    20231226_120845.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Thought I might put these on here, maybe more folks read this main MVP thread than the specific disc threads. Two wishlist items for me.

1. Any idea when tempos will be more widely available?

2. Has there been any whisperings of a run of Proton Proxy (besides the watermelon & eclipse)?

For @Keith H

No and no haha. I'm hoping soon on the tempo, I saw Chance Stad with a ISO post up here looking for one... I'd always thought even their semi pro guys might have better access to discs. I wouldn't be surprised if he runs some for his TS discs this year, he was going to run the watt last time we chatted. Apparently he fed his to the gators in Florida and had given away his backup to someone more deserving. It also sounds like those total eclipse proxy were pretty nice.

Gonna go minimal today, league at my place... 2x envy, uplink, 2 x rhythms, I'm thinking a glitch and I want to throw the watt. It got misplaced in the great Xmas cleanup of 2023, took my bag down in a box, had a speaker under it and unfortunately a bag of chocolate and canned smoked salmon on top of it I forgot to bring out for Christmas. 5 of the discs stayed straight but the watt caught a little warp making it less stable. I've been trying to press it out for 3 days. It looks good but I haven't thrown it yet.
Danger Bay.. haha.
Anyone else say that? Hahaha I'm guessing not, it was on the CanadianBroadcastingCompany in the 80s.

Well not much to report, the Watt is still warped... took a comet instead, it didn't help. Ended up playing Cali, took an extra envy and a total of 3 rhythms. Might consider a 4th (flat top 173 L2) but i usually take a lower weight tesla. Took the 153 fission flippy, 172 circuit and a flat top medium plh 160g. It's a nice setup. 160 flat n is the fh disc and baby turn bh eagle kind of flight. The circuit is utility and touch, the 153 fission is my hyzer flipper or anhyzer holder. They are all interchangeable more or less...just a different margins of error. It's been fairly forgiving.

Took a bad 3 putt for a bad bogey, two drives but I gotta have the extra putt in my back pocket for Cali then I don't need it haha. Shameful.

Rallied two holes later and nailed hole 17 for an ace at my place with the 153, just a beautiful uphill hyzer flip dead straight. I'm digging on that as a replacement for how I used to use an avenger ss 12 yrs or so ago. Had to pipe an uphill tunnel last Sunday with it due to some kids on the course where I usually take the wide open hyzer hook in.

Gotta get smarter about playing solo but looking back I took the chance on two drives and it worked out 75% of the time but my putting confidence is a little low without a partner

Last edited:
I warped one of my Tempos. It's better now but hasn't made it back in the bag just yet. It made great sense to have the approach handy in the side pocket right up until it didn't. Current Tempo is sandwiched flat at all times.

Threw a TSA Animus today and that might be my favorite MVP made driver, at least of the moment. The Vanish is a glorious thing when fresh but I'm less certain I want it if I need to cycle like a DX Roc. And I might.

Short field session as I stepped in a hole Thursday. The knee's still not 100% right, but I'll probably grab an easy 2024 round in the morning anyway.

I decided to venture away from my all discmania bag, after throwing my friends glitch. Which plastic type is the"beefiest"/most torque resistant glitch? Is the watt beefier than the glitch? I've never thrown a watt.

Beefier glitch is my 164 eclipse but they're going for a premium price, oddly enough my lighter glitches with some shoulder/dome are my second beefier at 143g not very oopsie resistant though. The Watt is decent and available in a heavy weight, drives nice, putts decent, will come back a bit but it's missing the effortless throw the Glitch will do up close. Tracks similar lines with more power and less glide.

I decided to venture away from my all discmania bag, after throwing my friends glitch. Which plastic type is the"beefiest"/most torque resistant glitch? Is the watt beefier than the glitch? I've never thrown a watt.
I suggest trying out a Watt. A little less glide, but a bit of fade. The Watt has taken over the Glitch spot in my bag. I find it easier to control for approach shots.

Right now the Glitch is only available in the one plastic. There is an Eclipse version that came in the Gyropalooza box this year, but good luck finding someone to sell you one of those at reasonable price.

Does anyone know if the 2023 DGLO Champion Waves are similar in stability to the normal Neutron Waves? I snagged a pretty flat DGLO one, and it's significantly more stable than the numbers would suggest. If I want flippy, is there something I should be looking for? More dome? Different run?

Latest posts