• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Discs

mgilbert

Bogey Member
I'm 61 (today) with slow-to-focus eyes and poor hand to eye coordination, so I throw from a standstill. I also throw understable, lightweight discs, my favorite being a 160g Diamond (Opto plastic, 8,6,-3,1 ratings). When I get everything right, I can throw that disc about 250 feet, carving a nice "S" curve.

So, I bought $100 worth of MVP discs, thinking I'd be able to easily throw them - a Signal (6,5,-3,1), a Relay (6,5,-2,1), an Impulse (9,5,-3,1), etc. - all in Neutron plastic, and all 155 to 159 grams.

I thought these discs would be easier to throw than my Diamond, but they all seem to be as overstable as a saw blade. All I can get them to do is hyzer and crash.

I have heated them up and tried to bend the noses down and otherwise bend them in an attempt to beat them in, but haven't got to try them since doing so.

What am I missing? Did I screw up buying MVP? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hmm. If you cannot get a 150gm Signal to turn you may be throwing nose up. It's difficult to tell though.

I'm 56 and throw about 300'. I can barely turn a Relay - the fly straight for me. Signals turn though.

Hmm. If you cannot get a 150gm Signal to turn you may be throwing nose up. It's difficult to tell though.

I'm 56 and throw about 300'. I can barely turn a Relay - the fly straight for me. Signals turn though.

My Signal is 156g. It should be easier to throw than my Diamond, but it isn't. I must be doing something wrong...

My Signal is 156g. It should be easier to throw than my Diamond, but it isn't. I must be doing something wrong...

Disc flight numbers are certainly not an exact science. The flight is determined by all four numbers, as well. The MVP discs are simply too stable, for your throw. I am not one to spend a lot of time on why. Heating up your discs and trying to modify, them is probably not the answer. Throw the Diamond, work on your form and throw, hopefully add some distance, and work toward using the new discs.

Good news....you have plenty of company. Everybody here has bought a disc, they were convince was a game changer...only finding out it held no magic. I got boxes of them, lol.

Do you throw with your shirt on? Could be the problem.

mikec-tesla-500x500.jpg

Just try and throw smooth and flat and see what happens. Happy Birthday too!

I know I still have work to do on my form - I'm terribly inconsistent, which is why I'm spending hours throwing from home plate of a baseball diamond. And thanks!

I'm 59 and since April have flipped my bag over to MVP finding them easier to throw than other brands. I've had the Relay 170g plus and Signal 171g, still have Impulse 171g finding all three giving the most grief of any MVP disc I've had or still have.

Both the Relay and Signal often turned over on me and were both outperformed by a neutron hex which I can turn and flip up, and for more distance. Traded the Relay and Signal for something else and have wondered if I had them at a lighter weight could have gotten more out of them.

The Impulse has a beautiful glide on a turn but can also be turnover on me at times. I'm finding out my Neutron Virus is more consistent, can do more with it, and doesn't come with the grief. Been thinking about trading the Impulse for something else.

I can say that MVP has improved my game, and for the first time I can throw 14 and 13 speeds with them.

I'm 59 and since April have flipped my bag over to MVP finding them easier to throw than other brands. I've had the Relay 170g plus and Signal 171g, still have Impulse 171g finding all three giving the most grief of any MVP disc I've had or still have.

Both the Relay and Signal often turned over on me and were both outperformed by a neutron hex which I can turn and flip up, and for more distance. Traded the Relay and Signal for something else and have wondered if I had them at a lighter weight could have gotten more out of them.

The Impulse has a beautiful glide on a turn but can also be turnover on me at times. I'm finding out my Neutron Virus is more consistent, can do more with it, and doesn't come with the grief. Been thinking about trading the Impulse for something else.

I can say that MVP has improved my game, and for the first time I can throw 14 and 13 speeds with them.

So, you're saying that MVP discs improved your game and you find them easier to throw, but that the Relay and Signal were too understable for you?

So, you're saying that MVP discs improved your game and you find them easier to throw, but that the Relay and Signal were too understable for you?

Discs do not improve players' game. You may find a disc that you are comfortable with, but please understand, there are always at least a handful of nearly identical molds that would substitute just fine. There could be kinds of discs that suit your game/throw/form, but it sounds like you have found that in the Diamond.

Archer > Arrow.

Those two discs yes, they were outperformed by the Hex. The Signal I had some good throws, the Relay not so much. I have a 27-disc bag just about all MVP except for about 1/2 dozen hold overs from other brands. It's been a process there are other MVP's I've traded in when they were outperformed by other MVP's in the same speed or a speed above or below. I just don't keep discs that I know won't be used. I could of kept the Signal and Relay to work more with them, but why when the hex is it. I do have backups for disc I use a lot the Wave, Orbital, Hex, and Reactor get pulled out of my bag a lot. Next time I see a Tesla and Virus I'll pick up a backup.

I've found MVP discs far more consistent than when my bag was mostly Innova, and I 've worked hard on the practice field sorting it out. I think part of the problem with Innova was the different grips from disc to disc, where MVP is pretty much the same. Big game changer for me.

I must be an odd duck but it seems to me that the overmold discs have to be thrown harder and faster than their non-gyro counterparts to fly properly.

As far as your Diamond, I don't think you'll find an easier disc to throw.

Sounds like I've just wasted almost $100...

What am I missing? Did I screw up buying MVP? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey there!

First things first - I've been throwing MVP since 2015, and exclusively MVP since late 2016. I've been throwing Relays and Signals for years, and I used to bag the Impulse. Also, in 2015 and 2016 when I had a mixed bag, I also bagged the Diamond, so I've thrown all of the discs you're referring to in some form or other.

Secondly - as many people have said, flight numbers are deceptive. MVP did not put flight numbers on their discs for several years for this reason - they instead created flight charts for their discs. They still exist - on their official page for the Signal, you can find the flight chart by scrolling down. Click here.

The flight chart will tell you the expected flight of the disc based on the amount of power you put on it. If you look at the Signal's flight chart, minimal power will cause the disc to fly straight for a little while, and then fade out. Ideal amounts of power will cause the disc to flight straight and then turn.

If you examine the charts for the Relay and the Impulse, you'll find similar flights. If these discs feel overstable to you, it's because you are giving them minimal power. And there's nothing wrong with that, mind you - everyone has different abilities and experience. When I first threw the Signal, it was not understable for me in the same way the Diamond was, but at the same time, the Diamond was absolutely not understable for me either.

MVP eventually put flight numbers on their discs because most players like them for reference, even though they don't necessarily tell someone what the disc will do. Especially across manufacturers - what is considered turn -3 to Latitude 64 is not necessarily turn -3 to MVP is not turn -3 to Innova, etc. More importantly, the speed required to get that turn isn't equivalent across discs or manufacturers.

Which, based off what you have mentioned, is why you're likely able to get the Diamond to s-curve (this is typically not a disc that should s-curve, by the way), but do not have the same results with the Signal.

Learning what a disc will do for you, especially when you throw multiple manufacturers' discs, is a process and sometime you have to feel out what works and what does not. Which is another way of saying, the Signal might not fly like the Diamond for you, but at the same time, it might fill another role, or it might be a disc you grow into and perhaps eventually move beyond as your technique improves.

Hey there!

First things first - I've been throwing MVP since 2015, and exclusively MVP since late 2016. I've been throwing Relays and Signals for years, and I used to bag the Impulse. Also, in 2015 and 2016 when I had a mixed bag, I also bagged the Diamond, so I've thrown all of the discs you're referring to in some form or other.

Secondly - as many people have said, flight numbers are deceptive. MVP did not put flight numbers on their discs for several years for this reason - they instead created flight charts for their discs. They still exist - on their official page for the Signal, you can find the flight chart by scrolling down. Click here.

The flight chart will tell you the expected flight of the disc based on the amount of power you put on it. If you look at the Signal's flight chart, minimal power will cause the disc to fly straight for a little while, and then fade out. Ideal amounts of power will cause the disc to flight straight and then turn.

If you examine the charts for the Relay and the Impulse, you'll find similar flights. If these discs feel overstable to you, it's because you are giving them minimal power. And there's nothing wrong with that, mind you - everyone has different abilities and experience. When I first threw the Signal, it was not understable for me in the same way the Diamond was, but at the same time, the Diamond was absolutely not understable for me either.

MVP eventually put flight numbers on their discs because most players like them for reference, even though they don't necessarily tell someone what the disc will do. Especially across manufacturers - what is considered turn -3 to Latitude 64 is not necessarily turn -3 to MVP is not turn -3 to Innova, etc. More importantly, the speed required to get that turn isn't equivalent across discs or manufacturers.

Which, based off what you have mentioned, is why you're likely able to get the Diamond to s-curve (this is typically not a disc that should s-curve, by the way), but do not have the same results with the Signal.

Learning what a disc will do for you, especially when you throw multiple manufacturers' discs, is a process and sometime you have to feel out what works and what does not. Which is another way of saying, the Signal might not fly like the Diamond for you, but at the same time, it might fill another role, or it might be a disc you grow into and perhaps eventually move beyond as your technique improves.

Thank you. When I say the Diamond "S" curves for me, I mean that it will turn slight right about halfway through its flight, then fade left at the end - RHBH throw. It also travels about 250 feet if I nail my technique. Otherwise, it hyzers for about 200 feet. I'll work more with the Signal and Relay. Maybe they will beat in and become easier to throw. If not, I'll have nothing to lose and might try throwing them into a chain-link fence a few times!

Discs do not improve players' game. You may find a disc that you are comfortable with, but please understand, there are always at least a handful of nearly identical molds that would substitute just fine. There could be kinds of discs that suit your game/throw/form, but it sounds like you have found that in the Diamond.

Archer > Arrow.

Yeah, I get the archer/arrow reference. I clearly need more practice, but I do wonder what other discs would be similar to the Diamond.

Sounds like I've just wasted almost $100...

Nah.

The funny thing about discs is that regardless of flight numbers or how a disc flies for someone else you really have no idea how a disc will fly for you unless you actually try it.

My wife bags Diamonds and typically throws them in the 225-250' range but I've seen her get them out to 275' on occasion. She's slowly moving over to the Hatchet in the air plastic because they are a little more forgiving if she gets them on a little anhyzer and she is getting similar or better distance compared to her Diamonds.

If you're looking to spend a few more dollars to try something else I would suggest an RPM Piwakawaka. It may seriously have more glide than any disc I've ever thrown. Don't let the fact that it's a mid range fool you. It will challenge your Diamond for distance.